Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Toughest swarming aliens

Who is the toughest opponent to face?

Aliens as in Xenomorphs, Aliens 2
    Bugs - as in Starship Troopers
    The creatures in Tomorrow War

Now, if you had to face them and you know this stuff with modern weaponery that a normal soldier could carry, what would you choose? Meaning no sci-fi guns - current stuff.

A reviewer noted that in these kind of movies, the infantry weapons are less than impressive. A zillion rounds to take a critter down.

You should toss in the guys from "A Quiet place" or maybe revisit when the second movie arrives.

Also, Tomorrow War is a surprisingly good movie.

But to answer the questions. I'm going with Xenomorphs. I think acid blood puts them above the rest.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

The problem with the Bugs is that they have those guys that can bombard a planet from serious range with energy attacks from their butts (IIRC).

Light-year-distant entomological arse-fire is pretty hard to combat.

Xenomorphs have a horrible reproduction strategy. In any real world scenario, they wouldn't be able to "swarm" at all.

My bet is the Tyrannids of Warhammer 40k.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Xenomorphs have a horrible reproduction strategy. In any real world scenario, they wouldn't be able to "swarm" at all.

My bet is the Tyrannids of Warhammer 40k.
    My mind also went to Tyrannids.

Also the Flood from Halo.

Tyranids. Psychic powers, vast diversity of attack critters, and the Hive Mind is intelligent and SPITEFUL.

I feel like the OP asked a question of “Which of these three?” and everyone’s just answered a different question.

I also feel like that’s my turf. You’re infringing my IP (as in ‘inappropriate posting’), guys!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Given that it takes M41A pulse rifles (superior to modern weaponry, with shaped charge ammunition) to tear into xenomorphs, and 9mm pistols basically require an entire mag in the head at close range to kill one (and otherwise their gunfire just ricochets off xenomorphs), and xenomorphs are LESS (physically speaking) than even genestealers (who rip into terminator armor and withstand bolter fire, necessitating heavier weapons like storm bolters and worse), I suspect there aren't really any small arms from the modern world we can take that are going to net us any kind of a win against the toughest of this lot.

That's assuming we are magically granted proficiency with said weaponry, and the experience/grit/whatever not to simply freeze. ^_^

So my answer would be 'it doesn't really matter which one is the toughest between Tomorrow War aliens and Tyrannids, because Tyrannids would be an impossible battle anyway; there are really no modern small arms that would give me any kind of decent chance against even a small swarm of said enemies.'

Edit: Or, you know, one or two. O_o Unless it's me with a Barret M82/107 (or some other anti-material rifle) at long range against one or two, and I'm some kind of legendary sniper. And I get lucky.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 07-05-2021 at 04:18 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Given that it takes M41A pulse rifles (superior to modern weaponry, with shaped charge ammunition) to tear into xenomorphs, and 9mm pistols basically require an entire mag in the head at close range to kill one (and otherwise their gunfire just ricochets off xenomorphs), and xenomorphs are LESS (physically speaking) than even genestealers (who rip into terminator armor and withstand bolter fire, necessitating heavier weapons like storm bolters and worse), I suspect there aren't really any small arms from the modern world we can take that are going to net us any kind of a win against the toughest of this lot.

That's assuming we are magically granted proficiency with said weaponry, and the experience/grit/whatever not to simply freeze. ^_^

So my answer would be 'it doesn't really matter which one is the toughest between Tomorrow War aliens and Tyrannids, because Tyrannids would be an impossible battle anyway; there are really no modern small arms that would give me any kind of decent chance against even a small swarm of said enemies.'

Edit: Or, you know, one or two. O_o Unless it's me with a Barret M82/107 (or some other anti-material rifle) at long range against one or two, and I'm some kind of legendary sniper. And I get lucky.
    And that’s without the light-year-distant entomological arse-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    And that’s without the light-year-distant entomological arse-fire.
    I'm fairly sure that the Tyrannids could manage something just as bad, or just go there and do worse. But yes, that rather beats an anti-material rifle. Or modern artillery. Or nuclear missiles.

Also, you seem rather stuck on the whole arse-fire thing. ^_^

...also, how the crap (haha) long did it take for the bombardment to cross that distance, again? Like, was it 'arse-fire' that happened to suddenly create wormholes, or accelerate to Warp 10 once it got out of atmo, or something?
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm fairly sure that the Tyrannids could manage something just as bad, or just go there and do worse. But yes, that rather beats an anti-material rifle. Or modern artillery. Or nuclear missiles.

Also, you seem rather stuck on the whole arse-fire thing. ^_^

...also, how the crap (haha) long did it take for the bombardment to cross that distance, again? Like, was it 'arse-fire' that happened to suddenly create wormholes, or accelerate to Warp 10 once it got out of atmo, or something?
    Pah. Entomological arse-fire is not troubled by mere physics.

Entomological is the only logical.

Pah. Entomological arse-fire is not troubled by mere physics.

Entomological is the only logical.
    Yes, Von Doom.
    Why are we here?

Aw, no love for the Zerg Rush?

I mean, we could go with the Zerg as well.

I'm not sure they're top of the line, here, but yeah, we could include them. I guess people could argue back and forth if they're the 'worst' group to face.

But again, we're in an area where they take sustained gunfire from hyper-advanced weaponry to kill, so the second part of the thread would be equally pointless as against Tyrannids - the 'modern' weaponry we're allowed to carry into battle with them, it's all going to be relatively ineffectual.
    Why are we here?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

The problem with the Bugs is that they have those guys that can bombard a planet from serious range with energy attacks from their butts (IIRC).

Light-year-distant entomological arse-fire is pretty hard to combat.
    I was going to say the Zerg, but I don't know how well they could deal with that.;..

I feel like the OP asked a question of “Which of these three?” and everyone’s just answered a different question.

I also feel like that’s my turf. You’re infringing my IP (as in ‘inappropriate posting’), guys!
    Oh sorry... I meant "I run in and slaughter ALL the Evil Aliens before they can hurt any of the humans!! I am the obnoxiously overpowered Hero, The MunchKING!"
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!