Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    Don't forget Robert Redford.
    And Glenn Close!

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    Don't forget Robert Redford.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    And Glenn Close!
    Kurt Russell, Michelle Pfieffer, Tilda Swinton, Alfre Woodard, Lawrence Fishburn, Cate Blanchette...

I would do a ridiculous number of “embarrassing” things for the right amount of money.

Starring in ANY movie (non-XXX) isn’t anywhere near that list.

Edit: tired. The above made sense when I typed it. I meant to essentially say: I wouldn’t consider being a movie star embarrassing (especially a highly paid one), but I’d do embarrassing things anyway for the right amount of money.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 07-21-2021 at 12:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I blame Ben Hur and Cleopatra for getting movie audiences all over spectacle over story.
    In Hollywood the new era of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg style of movies was first blamed for spectacle over story, something I thought was unfair because Spielberg was a very good story teller when he was a younger director and proceeded to one of the greatest story tellers by the time he made Jurassic Park and Schindler's List in 93 and the rest they say is history.

It was not really Cleopatra or Ben Hur that should be blamed as this movies were classified more as Epics along with other Ce Ce Demile films like the Ten Commandments... Epic films like those, made other modern movies like Lord of the Rings and Gladiator possible.

Most spectacle films today don't care about story for new reasons. Having story apparently makes the movie boring and it is only not just that, they also choose not have have story first because that is how they feel kids can keep up with the film.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-21-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Kurt Russell, Michelle Pfieffer, Tilda Swinton, Alfre Woodard, Lawrence Fishburn, Cate Blanchette...
    And Peter Dinkladge

I can appreciate some inner frustration and irritation because I agree film is completely oversaturated with superhero fare and that they are now largely boring and by the numbers. So I can imagine that feeling is magnified some by those who actually partake in the craft. That said I don't get essentially ripping the actors for the gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I will say this when people claim there were all these awesome movies back in the day. If you actually look at the movies by Disney not including animated from about 1965 to 1985 or 1990 its pretty freaking rough. Granted thats just one studio but still.
    Disney's rough times in these years are generally well-referenced. Even the animation end. Its why The Little Mermaid is considered the start of the "Disney Renaissance". It was when things finally got back on track for them.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-21-2021 at 02:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I can appreciate some inner frustration and irritation because I agree film is completely oversaturated with superhero fare and that they are now largely boring and by the numbers. So I can imagine that feeling is magnified some by those who actually partake in the craft. That said I don't get essentially ripping the actors for the gigs.
    I agreed with this, but I also hate to say this. Most of this actors deep down believe some of the things other people say negatively about some of their films.

Scar Jo is a huge Woody Allen fan and has been devoted to him as an actress, even defending and supporting him after the sexual abuse allegations. It does not take a telepath to guess that Scar Jo does not likely ever put any MCU film (including the ones she is in) in the same class as the Woody Allen's movies she has been in.

Not saying she thinks badly about MCU films, but I think she understand some things about the art of movies. if you watch any of her interviews in her Woody films, you can see the awe she has for Woody Allen as a film maker and how much she is into his films. You will not see that passion in many of her MCU movies interviews.

Astonishing Member

Disney's rough times in these years are generally well-referenced. Even the animation end. Its why The Little Mermaid is considered the start of the "Disney Renaissance". It was when things finally got back on track for them.
    Yea I didn't hate the animated Disney movies in that time period. Except for the Fox and the Hound. Possibly worst animated movie for kids ever

Mighty Member

Oversaturated? They release 3 movies a year, now 4. And the rest of the stuff is relegated to Disney+. So, as far as theatrical exhibition is concerned, 3-4 movies a year is not saturation

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I agreed with this, but I also hate to say this. Most of this actors deep down believe some of the things other people say negatively about some of their films.

Scar Jo is a huge Woody Allen fan and has been devoted to him as an actress, even defending and supporting him after the sexual abuse allegations. It does not take a telepath to guess that Scar Jo does not likely ever put any MCU film (including the ones she is in) in the same class as the Woody Allen's movies she has been in.

Not saying she thinks badly about MCU films, but I think she understand some things about the art of movies. if you watch any of her interviews in her Woody films, you can see the awe she has for Woody Allen as a film maker and how much she is into his films. You will not see that passion in many of her MCU movies interviews.
    Yeah I can agree with this. Even though she's been a part of the MCU for a long time, in her interviews she comes across as looking like this is a job for her rather than feeling passion about the character and comics. She doesn't sound like she was ever a comic reader as she always references what the writer/directors did with "her character" in any MCU film. That said, she has done excellent work playing Natasha.

I mean it's not that Scarlett wasn't asked what her favorite role was and she answered this: https://movieweb.com/black-widow-sca...favorite-role/

The only reason the Black Widow movie got made at all was Johansson's passion for the character. She had no obligation to do this, her character was killed off. Does anyone believe Feige was eager to start phase 4 with a movie about a dead character? It was mainly a gesture out of gratefulness for her dedication to the role for ten years.

Also she does not have to be a comic book reader to like the character.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I mean it's not that Scarlett wasn't asked what her favorite role was and she answered this: https://movieweb.com/black-widow-sca...favorite-role/

The only reason the Black Widow movie got made at all was Johansson's passion for the character. She had no obligation to do this, her character was killed off. Does anyone believe Feige was eager to start phase 4 with a movie about a dead character? It was mainly a gesture out of gratefulness for her dedication to the role for ten years.

Also she does not have to be a comic book reader to like the character.
    True, but I do enjoy when the actors playing the characters are comic nerds just like us. Rosario Dawson for example.

BANNED

After BW second weekend box office performance, I’m now embarrassed for ScarJo.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't it because theaters are expensive and it's more worth the price to watch something the big screen is actually useful for, whereas a drama isn't much better viewed there than on a tv set. Plus drama has moved to streaming shows. That doesn't mean independent movies don't deserve attention, because they do. I think that's why awards shows tend to favor those kinds of movies.
    I agree with this.

Some of the best Drama and comedy are now on tv and streaming platforms rather than movie screens. TV is a writers medium.

From a commercial point of view the blockbuster films (including superhero films, animated films and other franchise fare) are what keeps the big studios afloat. Most people see less than 10 movies a year at a movie theatre and much of that is studio tentpole stuff. Dramatic and arthouse films simply don't draw a big enough audience to be profitable for the major movie theatre chains or studios much of the time.

There are some very good dramatic and arthouse films that deserve an audience but there is also some pretentious Sundance niche garbage that only appeals to some snooty critics and chin stroking armchair enthusiasts. There are some actors/directors that delude themselves into thinking their weird niche arthouse stuff is being prevented from being some huge multimillion dollar hit because of superhero films are taking up screens and studio revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    There are some very good dramatic and arthouse films that deserve an audience but there is also some pretentious Sundance niche garbage that only appeals to some snooty critics and chin stroking armchair enthusiasts. There are some actors/directors that delude themselves into thinking their weird niche arthouse stuff is being prevented from being some huge multimillion dollar hit because of superhero films are taking up screens and studio revenue.
    You just declared that some films deserve and audience, while some don't. Is this attitude really any different than someone saying MCU films are garbage? Superhero films or "weird niche arthouse stuff" are mostly made by people trying to make what they think are good films. ("good" meaning different things to diff people) It does seem that a lot of the complaints are either sour grapes or based on a certain elitism, but I do sympathize with a filmmaker pouring their time and passion into a project just to see it evaporate the moment it hits screens. (assuming it can find some)

And yes,, TV might be the place to be, but a lot of directors love film and that's where they want to stay. As with most things, the complainers tend the be the loudest but I feel most are just trying to figure out how to navigate the landscape. (I mean, Chloe Zhao went from "Nomadland" to "Eternals.") I don't know if I have an ultimate point - just rambling at this point...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-22-2021 at 12:16 AM.