Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Instead of criticizing my opinion, maybe you should give your own.
    After all this forum is about expressing opinions.
    Maybe you should start backing up your opinions rather than just stating them. I mean in this case it's pretty easy, if your claim is correct it should be no problem for you to name the great roles the actresses you mentioned have played so far. So let's hear it.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

I think ScarJo contemporaries has a big edge over her. Other actress like Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lawrence, Margot Robbie, Rooney Mara, Emma Stone and Emily Blunt. The these actresses has chosen better roles than ScarJo and they maybe more talented than her too.
    Not Jennifer Lawrence of recent, Scar Jo in the last 3-5 years seems to have had better movies than Lawrence. I think the issue here maybe because MCU is so huge and very talked about in the media and disney very big push quality marketing, the mainsteam establishment, just keep allowing her other movies to slip or be forgettable.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-09-2021 at 04:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Maybe you should start backing up your opinions rather than just stating them. I mean in this case it's pretty easy, if your claim is correct it should be no problem for you to name the great roles the actresses you mentioned have played so far. So let's hear it.
    Backup an opinion?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Not Jennifer Lawrence of recent, Scar Jo in the last 3-5 years seems to have had better movies than Lawrence. I think the issue here maybe because MCU is so huge and very talked about in the media and disney very big push quality marketing, the mainsteam establishment, just keep allowing her other movies to slip or be forgettable.
    Maybe that’s what Dorff meant. The MCU is overshadowing her other stuff.

Backup an opinion?
    Uh, yes...

Example -

For more than a century, The Chicago Cubs had not won a world series.

If I was going to have a leg to stand on when I said "The Cubs will totally win the World Series this year..."?

I would need more than just my opinion.

I would need something that actually existed to support that opinion other than that it was simply what I believed.

Mighty Member

Backup an opinion?
    because you've moved outside of the realm of a mere opinion "I prefer Coca Cola to Pepsi"... into the realm of qualitative comparison "these actresses are superior to ScarJo"

"opinions" that are qualitative comparisons between two similar things require some sort of evidence to even have meaning. why would we pick a Porsche over a Ferrari? why is wild caught Alaskan Sockeye Salmon superior to Columbia River farmed Steelhead?

why are these other actresses you've mentioned better than Scarlett Johansson?

I dunno, maybe you should just avoid ScarJo related threads.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    because you've moved outside of the realm of a mere opinion "I prefer Coca Cola to Pepsi"... into the realm of qualitative comparison "these actresses are superior to ScarJo"

"opinions" that are qualitative comparisons between two similar things require some sort of evidence to even have meaning. why would we pick a Porsche over a Ferrari? why is wild caught Alaskan Sockeye Salmon superior to Columbia River farmed Steelhead?

why are these other actresses you've mentioned better than Scarlett Johansson?

I dunno, maybe you should just avoid ScarJo related threads.
    No matter how someone what to twist things, opinions are still just opinions. There is more than one way to express yourself. Just because someone doesn’t express themselves as you do or use the different words, doesn’t make it invalid.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-09-2021 at 09:11 PM.

No matter how someone what to twist things, opinions are still just opinions. There is more than one way to express yourself. Just because someone doesn’t express themselves as you do or use the different words, doesn’t make it invalid.
    It’s the fact that you’re insinuating that, because other actresses have acclaimed roles, ScarJo’s roles are diminished.

You do realize that ALL of the actresses you mentioned AND ScarJo can have acclaim worthy roles. What you’re being tasked to prove with your “opinion” is why ScarJo’s aren’t worthy compared to the other actress’s.

You don’t HAVE to do this, as is your right. But any opinion can (and should be questioned, especially if it appears to stand on shaky ground.

Astonishing Member

Instead of criticizing my opinion, maybe you should give your own.
    After all this forum is about expressing opinions.
    I have plenty of opinions on the performances of different actresses.

For instance, I think that Jennifer Lawrence hasn't had a great performance in several years. She was clearly checked out of her role of Mystique long before her death scene. While she had a better performance in the Hunger Games movies, the decision to split the last book into 2 movies hurt the story, pacing and overall performances including JLaw. Her roles since then have been misfires like Passengers, or middlebrow award bait like Joy, or forgettable roles meant to expand her range but just fall flat.

But I am prepared to give examples and discuss the reasoning behind my opinions. And I realize that reasonable people may disagree.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what my personal opinion is on how her career is assessed. Nothing about what I said will change the industry awards and recognition she's received. And honestly, one good script with one good director would be all it takes to change my opinion of her. Frankly spending my time trying to denigrate her career based on my preferences seems like a small petty thing to do.

But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The article forgot to mention what new film he was attempting to promote, which is pretty funny.
    Can't really think of anything he was in that I can recall. I think it's a good move to come out & get a LOT of attention for his project. What's he got to lose? His film most likely would have come & gone with as much fanfare as his previous effort.

If you're using your opinion to try to convince others that what you say is true, then yes, a bit more is required than just tossing your opinion out there and letting it be. Especially when it's someone like you, who projects your opinions as if you're spewing facts. And don't fall back on that semantic "well why don't you just ask me how I came to that opinion" stuff, someone challenging your "opinion" is just about the same as them asking. If you don't want to back up the things you say and hide behind the "it's just my opinion" shield, that's your choice. But because of the way you choose to express yourself you can't blame others for being bothered by it. That's on you. If your view of engaging in a conversation is dropping (what you consider) responsibility-free turds and holding up your hands anytime someone criticizes the stink, you might want to consider investing in some real estate under a local bridge in your area.

You've no doubt noticed this is a recurring issue in this and other threads. Take that as a sign that it's not everyone's else's problem.

NOW, let's consider that the end of the off-topic garbage, everyone. If you're not here to talk about the thread topic, don't post.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-10-2021 at 01:37 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)