Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Don't forget the corny musicals!

Giant monsters were cool, though, and always will be

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, not to mention the race-bending racism and discrimination of that era.
    True but there were also many great movies from that era that has nothing to do with racism , were not racist and tried not to be racist and called out racism despite that era were racism was a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There were tons of bad movies made during the Golden Age of Hollywood.
    true

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Pre-2011..
    Lord of the rings and the dark knight were pre 2011, very well made movies with less cooperate issues and they made so much money. They made a billion at a time it was not so easy to do.

Although I disagree with how Dorff went after ScarJo. I have to admit that we are living in a sad film age when superhero movies rule the day. What happened to movies with good and important storylines that used to rule? What happened to movies that is made for intelligent adults rather than adult children? I think this what Dorff was trying to say. I think he was also trying to praise ScarJo. I think he is saying she such a great actress and shouldn’t be wasting her talents on a superhero film.
    It's not praise to tell someone they're selling out. And particularly disrespectful for a man to tell a woman "you're better than this" which is a backhanded compliment as it criticizes her choices and assumes she doesn't know her own worth or has her own agency. (and yet he thinks his former co-star will be great as Blade)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's not praise to tell someone they're selling out. And particularly disrespectful for a man to tell a woman "you're better than this" which is a backhanded compliment as it criticizes her choices and assumes she doesn't know her own worth or has her own agency. (and yet he thinks his former co-star will be great as Blade)
    I think it depends in different cases. Some people do sell themselves out. Ever heard of Stacy Dash?

Also there is nothing wrong in telling a person male or female that they are better than what they are if there is potential that they are.

Black Widow was a watchable movie but let's be honest just from an artistic film place, are we really saying the movie would not have been way better than it was if James Cameron was the one at the helm making the film?

No doubt Dorff came off insulting, but some of his description of Black Widow were not far fetched, the only part I think he really got wrong was saying he was embarrassed for Scar Jo because I don't think there she has anything to be embarrassed at, when you think it was her and the actress who played Yelena that carried the entire film and made the movie watchable, this is the one area, Captain Marvel sort of failed at.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    are we really saying the movie would not have been way better than it was if James Cameron was the one at the helm making the film?
    It's been over a decade since Cameron last directed a film. It's safe to assume no one knows if a film would be better with him directing it anymore. Considering the last films he had a producer credit on were Terminator: Dark Fate and Alita, I wouldn't put much faith in that assessment.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It's been over a decade since Cameron last directed a film. It's safe to assume no one knows if a film would be better with him directing it anymore. Considering the last films he had a producer credit on were Terminator: Dark Fate and Alita, I wouldn't put much faith in that assessment.
    Cameron was heavily involved with Alita and he is very responsible for how well done the film is in terms of VFX, Cinematography, story and performances. Alita is a superior made film to Black Widow if we are looking at both film just from an objective art place and if Cameron had been at the helm of Black Widow, no way will Dorff or even other comic fans complain the movie BW is like a CGI game and no doubt as well that even if Cameron had to by some miracle work under the MCU formula, he would still do some tweaking with the film.

First of all, Stephen Dorff hasn't even seen Black Widow so his comments are not only far fetched, they are outright irrelevant.

Secondly, James Cameron made his last good movie in 1991, so he'll hopefully make 20 sequels to his inferior Pocahontas remake before he gets his hands on stuff I'm actually interested in.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There are more movies being made and realleased now than there has probably ever been. If your too lazy to look for the more serious and dramatic ones that is your fault. There are so many good movies out there. True the big blockbusters are action super hero movies, but the blockbusters have dominated the box office for nearly 50 years now. It is not some new thing.
    Has nothing to do with lazy. The point is we shouldn’t have to look for thought provoking movies. Unfortunately the industry only pushes anything that is sci-fi or horror. Even comedies are now on the back burner.

But getting back to the thread, ScarJo is a very talented actress, but it does seems she has been wasting her talents on the wrong type of movies.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-13-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Has nothing to do with lazy. The point is we shouldn’t have to look for thought provoking movies. Unfortunately the industry only pushes anything that is sci-fi or horror. Even comedies are now on the back burner.

But getting back to the thread, ScarJo is a very talented actress, but it does seems she has been wasting her talents on the wrong type of movies.
    She has a BAFTA, a Tony, two Oscar noms, five Golden Globe noms and tons of critics awards at the age of 35. And on top of that she played a role in the biggest franchise of all time that made her the highest paid actress in the world. I'd say there are very few people in the movie business who made better career choices than her.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps Scarlett Johansson has a different definition of "wrong" and "right" type of movies than you or Mr. Dorff.

She was racking up accolades and awards in 2019 for both Jojo Rabbit and Divorce Story. I feel she's capable of deciding where to devote her talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Perhaps Scarlett Johansson has a different definition of "wrong" and "right" type of movies than you or Mr. Dorff.
    "It felt very much like what is happening now [Me Too]. It was amazing to have the platform to be able to comment on that." - Scarlett Johansson on Black Widow
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Yep, I think so. But Dorff was too mean with his comments about her.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It is lazyness pure and simple. There is no more(or less) crap being produced today than there was at any other point of time in film history and it's the same with good films as well. Sturgeon's law really is true.