Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I agree with this.

Some of the best Drama and comedy are now on tv and streaming platforms rather than movie screens. TV is a writers medium.

From a commercial point of view the blockbuster films (including superhero films, animated films and other franchise fare) are what keeps the big studios afloat. Most people see less than 10 movies a year at a movie theatre and much of that is studio tentpole stuff. Dramatic and arthouse films simply don't draw a big enough audience to be profitable for the major movie theatre chains or studios much of the time.

There are some very good dramatic and arthouse films that deserve an audience but there is also some pretentious Sundance niche garbage that only appeals to some snooty critics and chin stroking armchair enthusiasts. There are some actors/directors that delude themselves into thinking their weird niche arthouse stuff is being prevented from being some huge multimillion dollar hit because of superhero films are taking up screens and studio revenue.
    I generally agree except the last paragraph. No offense, but that sounds like reverse snobbery. I'm not exactly pitying big blockbuster corporations, but a lot of people reject any kind of "artistic" movie and that's not necessarily fair

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You just declared that some films deserve and audience, while some don't. Is this attitude really any different than someone saying MCU films are garbage? Superhero films or "weird niche arthouse stuff" are mostly made by people trying to make what they think are good films. ("good" meaning different things to diff people) It does seem that a lot of the complaints are either sour grapes or based on a certain elitism, but I do sympathize with a filmmaker pouring their time and passion into a project just to see it evaporate the moment it hits screens. (assuming it can find some)

And yes,, TV might be the place to be, but a lot of directors love film and that's where they want to stay. As with most things, the complainers tend the be the loudest but I feel most are just trying to figure out how to navigate the landscape. (I mean, Chloe Zhao went from "Nomadland" to "Eternals.") I don't know if I have an ultimate point - just rambling at this point...
    Some of the complainers have good points but also seem a bit out of touch at times IMO

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    After BW second weekend box office performance, I’m now embarrassed for ScarJo.
    I'm embarrassed for Lebron

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Because he was in SJ2?

BANNED

I have not see SJ 2 but despite the fact some right wingers have a negative thing for Lebron and are attacking him based on that factor, his acting in the film seems to have been panned all across the board.

A lot of the sport stars trying to be actors, do still suffer some the same issues that that happens when many super models try to be actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I have not see SJ 2 but despite the fact some right wingers have a negative thing for Lebron and are attacking him based on that factor, his acting in the film seems to have been panned all across the board.

A lot of the sport stars trying to be actors, do still suffer some the same issues that that happens when many super models try to be actresses.
    But was anyone expecting him to actually be good in it? The bar is, is he better than Michael Jordan was in the original? And that's not so much a bar as a small bump in the carpet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    But was anyone expecting him to actually be good in it? The bar is, is he better than Michael Jordan was in the original? And that's not so much a bar as a small bump in the carpet.
    Jordan is no bar at all. He couldn't act whatsoever. Lebron could probably only go up.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because he was in SJ2?
    Yea. Being such a terrible movie it won't be a good look for the legacy. He can definitely sweep it under the rug.

Ultimate Member

Yea. Being such a terrible movie it won't be a good look for the legacy. He can definitely sweep it under the rug.
    I doubt it would affect his basketball career, but if he wants to make more appearances in movies, this might not help him

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    After BW second weekend box office performance, I’m now embarrassed for ScarJo.
    I don’t think her bank account statement allows her the capacity to care.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Maybe, maybe not in terms of how people thought Lebron's performance will be, however we need to remember back then in the Jordan era, that there was no social media were everything gets overblown and exaggerated. so even if Lebron was only slightly better or not better than Jordan. His reception in 2021 would have always been worse.

Ultimate Member

But why do movie studios think sports players can act in the first place?

Some of the complainers have good points but also seem a bit out of touch at times IMO
    I would agree.

But why do movie studios think sports players can act in the first place?
    OJ Simpson??

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would agree.

OJ Simpson??
    I guess some can be good (at acting, that is). But then why cast ones who can't act?

I mean, it would be weird if they cast, let's say, Ian McKellan as a basketball star. Part of the spectacle is it's a genuine sports star paired with cartoon characters. No one's fooling themselves into thinking they're about to watch the next Raging Bull.

Also, anyone see Trainwreck? I'm not saying LeBron's paving the road to an EGOT or anything, but he wasn't bad in that. Not so bad that I wouldn't trust him to do as well or better than Michael Jordan in SJ2.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    I mean, it would be weird if they cast, let's say, Ian McKellan as a basketball star. Part of the spectacle is it's a genuine sports star paired with cartoon characters. No one's fooling themselves into thinking they're about to watch the next Raging Bull.

Also, anyone see Trainwreck? I'm not saying LeBron's paving the road to an EGOT or anything, but he wasn't bad in that. Not so bad that I wouldn't trust him to do as well or better than Michael Jordan in SJ2.

I agree its a movie with cartoon characters centered around a basketball star. I am not sure anyone is going in with any expectations. Except its cartoon characters with a basketball star.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-22-2021 at 06:29 PM.