Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean were not disappointing (okay the last ones were). They are mindless fun, there is a difference.
    The first ones were good but the later ones were almost incoherent.

I’m not even exaggerating, Bumblebee aside, I can’t remember the plots of the last Transformers and Pirates movies.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder what character Dorrf could play in the MCU?lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean were not disappointing (okay the last ones were). They are mindless fun, there is a difference.
    I'd say that SOME of the Transformers movies and SOME of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were not disapointing. I love the first three Pirates movies, thought the 4th was ok, never saw the 5th.

I enjoyed Transformers 1 & 4 and Bumblebee; I enjoyed HALF of Transformers 3, and Transformers 2 I got a free ticket to see it in theaters, and I still felt I paid too much.

As for the CGI debate- Black Panther had one sequence where it looked pretty bad (the end fight), other than that I thought it was very good. I've thought the MCU has had excellent CGI across the board, though I agree in a decade or less it will probably look bad. That's just down to the advancement of technology.

As for Stephen Dorf- I haven't thought about him since Blade. And he's probably pissed that he tried out for a Marvel movie and didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The first ones were good but the later ones were almost incoherent.

I’m not even exaggerating, Bumblebee aside, I can’t remember the plots of the last Transformers and Pirates movies.
    Don't disagree. There are fun bits in Age of Extinction but it's not exactly coherent. Last Knight is just a big hot mess that made no sense.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Star Wars could easily have won best picture over Annie Hall in 1979 because the technical side of the movie was nothing short of ground breaking. James Cameron is the director he is because people know and love his work as a visual film maker, who rarely has an equal maybe apart from George Lucas and Steven Spielberg and those 2 are the blokes who really brought VFX to Hollywood movies in way that was there to say.

VFX matters because it is part of the film process that us suppose to make what is impossible, possible or at least as believable in the world of pure fiction. Also comic films of 20 years, part of the critical acclaim they got was because they were doing something amazing with VFX that has never been done in the genre even if they had a strong story screenplay to back it up.

X-MEN 2 is good example with Nightcrawler teleporting in the White House to the Train scene in Spiderman 2 , And that was not an easy feat in 2004 for Spiderman 2, with Will Smith's I Robot been out the same year and Alfonso Cuaron game changing how to make Harry Potter films with Prisoner of Azkaban, all these movies I mentioned brought something new or impressive visually to the world of comic books, fantasy and science fiction in 2004.

Christopher Nolan is mostly known as a high budget film director, who has never gotten nominated for best director at the oscars but his moves always win all the technical Oscars including VFX. The recent winner been Tenet in 2021, because Nolan knows how to use VFX in an updated fashion

I think it is pretty strange I am reading some reply to me saying CGI does not matter. Uh, yes it does. it is big deal in many high budget films. [B] those movies have such high budgets in the first place because VFX are meant to be very costly,Anyone that says good or bad CGI does not matter in deciding the quality of a film is what I cannot take seriously, not the other way around.
    Thanks for providing a perfect example for my argument without even realizing it. Star Wars had great special effects, yet Annie Hall won the Oscar for best picture deservedly because it is better than Star Wars in any aspect that truly matters, that is directing, screenplay, and acting. As I said, special effects are negligible compared to these categories.

Oh and by the way Nolan did get a best director nomination for Dunkirk.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 07-05-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Thanks for providing a perfect example for my argument without even realizing it. Star Wars had great special effects, yet Annie Hall won the Oscar for best picture deservedly because it is better than Star Wars in any aspect that truly matters, that is directing, sceenplay, and acting. As I said, special effects are negligible compared to these categories.

Oh and by the way Nolan did get a best director nomination for Dunkirk.
    Yeah...and I don't think I've ever seen someone who was actually seriously educated in film making or film criticism claim that Star Wars was superior to Annie Hall either.

Ultimate Member

I thought people didn't like Woody Allen anymore

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I thought people didn't like Woody Allen anymore
    His body of work should stand on its own

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'd say that SOME of the Transformers movies and SOME of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were not disapointing. I love the first three Pirates movies, thought the 4th was ok, never saw the 5th.

I enjoyed Transformers 1 & 4 and Bumblebee; I enjoyed HALF of Transformers 3, and Transformers 2 I got a free ticket to see it in theaters, and I still felt I paid too much.
    Transformers had cool CGI.

VFX can be a tricky thing , especially how and when to use it in comic films, but I rather just reduce my comic films commentary because people will just turn it into another bad bad bad marvel vs dc debate. Maybe science fiction will be a more better example because there will be more balance in the discussions.

Jurassic Park 1993 is an excellent movie, a top 5 Spielberg film. and the VFX was a part of that

Now if you consider another film like Godzilla 98, the cgi was not bad, although it felt as if some visual artistic style of Jurassic Park was lacking in how Godzilla looked and moved to the Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

Godzilla was also so messy in the last act, that it just really became a bloated CGI Mess. which many will see as bad.

Jurassic park just had and kept a Refineness that Godzilla 1998 lacked. Even if Jurassic Park didn't have an amazing screenplay, it will still have been the better film of the two because the technical aspect of the film was a masterclass. Godzilla not so much in that area.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-05-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

New Kubrick: "GET ME DORFF!"

Stephen Dorff: "Oh, Mr. New Kubrick, I can't tell you how excited I am to work with you..."

New Kubrick: "Wait... I thought you were that little short guy who made the funny golf videos. Get me that guy. WHADDAYA MEAN HE'S DEAD? BRING HIM BACK TO LIFE! I AM NEW KUBRICK!'

...Does anyone actually care what Stephen Dorff has to say about what actors do to paychecks? Other than True Detective has he been in anything remotely notable the past decade? This was likely a smart PR move on his part to get some attention.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    ...Does anyone actually care what Stephen Dorff has to say about what actors do to paychecks? Other than True Detective has he been in anything remotely notable the past decade? This was likely a smart PR move on his part to get some attention.
    And it's working.

His "statement" has gone viral and the guy's back in the news.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    His body of work should stand on its own
    Ok. Personally he's not my cup of tea so I don't quite get the appeal

BANNED

Stephen Dorff isn’t the first Hollywood personality who bad mouth the MCU and he won’t be the last.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. Personally he's not my cup of tea so I don't quite get the appeal
    I don't get the appeal either