Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I will say while I think his criticism of her choices is foolish (very few wouldn't choose to be in a Disney movie, if only for the benefits to their own career) she has never impressed me much as an actress. Like Natalie Portman, she seems sort of emotionless and bland. Why Kat Dennings stood out so much to me in the Thor movies, just having an ounce of personality and charisma bouncing around was a refreshing and welcome relief from the stone-faced bleh of Portman and Hemsworth. Give credit where it's due, Hemsworth nailed the Guardians formula in Ragnarok. So maybe not so much their acting as the fault of the people directing them, at least to some extent?

There was one movie where Scarjo's lack of emotion/personality worked very well, in "Under the Skin". Not sure if whoever cast the movie sees what I saw in her (or didn't see), but they and she nailed that one as well.
    It is safe to say many actors are now experienced and know what to expect when they read a script and sign up for a movie. many actors going to a Disney film are barely thinking this movie is going to bring me Oscar buzz or is a film were my acting skills are going to be judge. Disney movies are fluff at best, generic in story and light in almost everything. Neither Scar Jo or Michael Douglas or RDJ are going into Disney films thinking about their roles in Lost in Translation or Wall Street or Charlie Chaplin.

These actors care more about the money, taking their family out to film premieres about movies that is more family friendly and also it keeps them relevant to a much younger generation and there is nothing wrong with that.

Why Kat Dennings stood out so much to me in the Thor movies, just having an ounce of personality and charisma bouncing around was a refreshing and welcome relief from the stone-faced bleh of Portman and Hemsworth. Give credit where it's due, Hemsworth nailed the Guardians formula in Ragnarok. So maybe not so much their acting as the fault of the people directing them, at least to some extent?
    It is rare to see anyone say something nice about Kat Denning from the Thor films , she has this global recognition for been one of the most annoying characters ever

There was one movie where Scarjo's lack of emotion/personality worked very well, in "Under the Skin". Not sure if whoever cast the movie sees what I saw in her (or didn't see), but they and she nailed that one as wel
    this is something I have always disagreed on, since I once compared her lack of emotion and personality very unfavourably to Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique in the first 2 X-men prequels when I was talking about female main characters in comic films. however those are just part of some of the benefits of other comics films when they are more drama in style than action driven.

I won't bother getting involved in any conversation discussing ''what are good movies or can you measure movies objectively'' since when it comes to most of these marvel movies, some here will tell you everything is all subjective even when that is hardly the case. Movies like every art does have an objective quality factor. always.

Regardless of the outcome of the black widow movie, if it is good, bad, average. Scar Jo deserved to have a movie about Black Widow. she needs some kind of authentic story, since she rarely got any in the other movies, which does not bold well for a female leading character.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-09-2021 at 04:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It is rare to see anyone say something nice about Kat Denning from the Thor films , she has this global recognition for been one of the most annoying characters ever
    While you as usually exaggerate the negative reaction, the character did get a fair amount of dislike (which I though was dumb since she was a delight in both movies).

But she was popular enough to be brought back in WandaVision. So no, everybody didn't hate her.

BANNED

I'm not sure if I'd have said I was a fan of her character, just that by comparison to Natalie Portman or pre-Ragnarok Hemsworth she was a goddamn delight. I'll take someone who's a bit much over people who are nowhere near enough (see Portman/ScarJo).

I think the Thor films have been divisive for many years because of the different camps of what people want from a Thor film - serious, dramatic, Shakespearean, Lord of the Rings type movies vs. the people who enjoy the more light-hearted fare that's been put out. And Darcy has represented the latter since Darkworld. A lot of people love or hate her, but I'm right in the middle - I think she's fine. For me she does what a comic-relief supporting character is supposed to do and I have no problem with the humor/drama mix that Marvel has been known for.

Marvel is a big, fun ride with heart that millions of people actually care about - I don't see what ScarJo or any of them have to be embarrassed about. If I gave two nickels about Dorff, I'd be embarrassed for him calling out a fellow actor like that.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-09-2021 at 06:57 AM.

Ultimate Member

I can't say I ever cared much for Darcy, and I liked Thor in all his movies. Jane was a bit boring as a character and should've been done better. Same thing for the Warriors 3. I liked the ideas of the first 2 Thor movies but the execution of the Dark World was weak

I remember Darcy in particular being very well remembered from the Thor movies. She was in practically every fanfiction written around then

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I remember Darcy in particular being very well remembered from the Thor movies. She was in practically every fanfiction written around then
    Really? I don't really read much fanfiction so I didn't knoe that. But I remember people complaining about Earth overshadowing the other realms, and Earth characters detracting from Thor's and Loki's relationship. I don't disagree with that assessment

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    There was one movie where Scarjo's lack of emotion/personality worked very well, in "Under the Skin". Not sure if whoever cast the movie sees what I saw in her (or didn't see), but they and she nailed that one as well.
    I've mostly only seen her as the Black Widow, who is *supposed* to be a jaded world-weary ex-assassin who has been utterly disillusioned by life (first having to ditch her Russian ideals, then later, finding out that SHIELD wasn't 'the good guys' and she didn't 'know whose lies she was telling' and being disillusioned *again*), so I've found her acting perfect for that. I have no idea if she's *always* like that, and I could see that not working at all if she's doing a romantic comedy or something, but for this character it works.

In a more bombastic character, like an MCU adaptation of the original Valkyrie, or one that's meant to be a bit livelier, like an MCU version of the younger (20s to 30s) Janet van Dyne or Patsy Walker? Sardonic quips quips delivered with a wry aside and arched eyebrow, not enough.

(That would be the only criticism I'd have about Scarlett, is how she moves her eyebrows sometimes, like in that first scene in the Avengers where she asks, 'so you think I'm pretty?' to the Russian general, and I'm like 'ooh, the caterpillars on her brow are trying to escape!' It's like the 'pretty boy actor clenches his jaw and looks constipated, in lieu of acting' school of emoting and it's not working for me.)

BANNED

He may be back tracking a bit.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/bl...ampire-slayer/

I think some of his agents and publicity guys may have gotten to him. This guy is not an actor I consider a big name A list actor, pissing off a large part of the comic book fan base can indeed damage your career. I think his handlers must have told him that because now he is saying Ali would be good in MCU Blade.

Lol, this guy is really trying his best to not be taken seriously by anyone.

"What I will say is what made Blade so special was the director, Stephen Norrington, and I don't think either of the sequels were as effective – they didn't have what he brought to the material,"

Just a reminder that the first Blade sequel was directed by Guillermo del Toro, who is a better director than Norrington by all means.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

It is safe to say many actors are now experienced and know what to expect when they read a script and sign up for a movie. many actors going to a Disney film are barely thinking this movie is going to bring me Oscar buzz or is a film were my acting skills are going to be judge. Disney movies are fluff at best, generic in story and light in almost everything. Neither Scar Jo or Michael Douglas or RDJ are going into Disney films thinking about their roles in Lost in Translation or Wall Street or Charlie Chaplin.

These actors care more about the money, taking their family out to film premieres about movies that is more family friendly and also it keeps them relevant to a much younger generation and there is nothing wrong with that.
    I'd counter that with this- while I'm sure the paycheck is a big factor in taking these rolls, I'm equally as sure those actors realize that by taking those high-profile rolls in what is sure to be a big summer blockbuster, they can then use that clout to push to get smaller, more personal movies made.

He may be back tracking a bit.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/bl...ampire-slayer/

I think some of his agents and publicity guys may have gotten to him. This guy is not an actor I consider a big name A list actor, pissing off a large part of the comic book fan base can indeed damage your career. I think his handlers must have told him that because now he is saying Ali would be good in MCU Blade.
    Is it REALLY back tracking when he replaces an outright insult with a back-handed compliment? "I'm sure Mahershala Ali will be great playing such a one-note character like Blade!"

I think Dorff was saying that Ali would be able to bring something more to the "one-note" Blade character, but he's right that there also has to be great writing and a good director. He comes across as self-centered to me, but I don't think that everything he's saying is wrong. It's not surprising he calls the original Blade director a "genius" when he also just happened to convince Dorff he wanted to make a Deacon Frost spinoff. Dorff was right that there will be darker superhero movies... which is why we're getting Morbius with the better version of Dorff, Jared Leto. (sorry, Dorff)

As a fan of the DCEU I'm constantly told everything I like is trash on a daily basis, but when some literal who says a movie looks bad, some MCU fans get so upset. The dude isn't even offering anything substantive in his criticism, it's a low-tier s***-post.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-11-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The really stupid part is we have seen this so many times by actors and directors and none of them ever learn. All they have to say is "I can see why people like these type of movies, but I am just not interested in them so they are really not for me". One sentence is all it takes to say what you mean without sounding like a douchebag "cinema" snob.

Niffleheim

I think that Entertainment News and reporters are setting these ppl up because they know the volume of clicks they would get out of an MCU or DC property