Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The really stupid part is we have seen this so many times by actors and directors and none of them ever learn. All they have to say is "I can see why people like these type of movies, but I am just not interested in them so they are really not for me". One sentence is all it takes to say what you mean without sounding like a douchebag "cinema" snob.
    Yeah, I mean a couple of months ago Emily Blunt gave her opinion on superhero films, but didn't come under fire from fans because she expressed it in a more mature manner and simply said they weren't her thing. She wasn't being condescending nor did she call out and attack fans of those films or other actors that choose to be in them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    Yeah, I mean a couple of months ago Emily Blunt gave her opinion on superhero films, but didn't come under fire from fans because she expressed it in a more mature manner and simply said they weren't her thing. She wasn't being condescending nor did she call out and attack fans of those films or other actors that choose to be in them.
    It's just common sense to not antagonize people you might end up working with (or wanting to work with) and the list of actors and directors who have worked on a Marvel/Disney movie or TV show is getting pretty huge.

On the other hand, there's a certain catchet in punching up at the big dog, and acting like the successful ones are all sellouts and you remain scrappy and artistically pure, but ultimately it reeks of jealousy, not 'cool underdog status.'

BANNED

Although I disagree with how Dorff went after ScarJo. I have to admit that we are living in a sad film age when superhero movies rule the day. What happened to movies with good and important storylines that used to rule? What happened to movies that is made for intelligent adults rather than adult children? I think this what Dorff was trying to say. I think he was also trying to praise ScarJo. I think he is saying she such a great actress and shouldn’t be wasting her talents on a superhero film.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Although I disagree with how Dorff went after ScarJo. I have to admit that we are living in a sad film age when superhero movies rule the day. What happened to movies with good and important storylines that used to rule? What happened to movies that is made for intelligent adults rather than adult children? I think this what Dorff was trying to say. I think he was also trying to praise ScarJo. I think he is saying she such a great actress and shouldn’t be wasting her talents on a superhero film.
    When was that mythical time?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Golden age Hollywood was among the good times.

The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Guns of Navarone, Rear Window used to be the highest grossing movies of their year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Pre-2011..

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Pre-2011..
    There have always been trends getting chased that dominated all other genres, even pre-2011 and even during the Golden Age of Hollywood.

That things used to be better way back when is a false sense of nostalgia.

Pre-2011..
    The way that I remember...

All of the initial "American Pie..." films were pre-2011.

Never mind that the "Saw..." films getting seriously stupid after the third film was all pre-2011.

Ultimate Member

The Golden Age of Hollywood also had a lot of hokey acting and weird fake accents

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The Golden Age of Hollywood also had a lot of hokey acting and weird fake accents
    Yeah, not to mention the race-bending racism and discrimination of that era.

Weren't the Transformer films ruling the box office Pre-2011?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, not to mention the race-bending racism and discrimination of that era.
    And notorious abuse, including sexual harassment

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Golden age Hollywood was among the good times.

The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Guns of Navarone, Rear Window used to be the highest grossing movies of their year.
    There were tons of bad movies made during the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There are more movies being made and realleased now than there has probably ever been. If your too lazy to look for the more serious and dramatic ones that is your fault. There are so many good movies out there. True the big blockbusters are action super hero movies, but the blockbusters have dominated the box office for nearly 50 years now. It is not some new thing.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 07-12-2021 at 08:26 PM.

In the 50s there were a lot of spectacular but vacuous robe and sandal epics. I'll take the comic book films anytime.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!