Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

When I think of Superman, it's All Star Superman, the Death of Superman and Superman/Superman II. A shame Richard Donner never got to finish what he started. R.I.P. and thank you xxx.

Thanks for all mr. Donner, not just Superman and Clark, but for Damien, for One eyed Willy, for Riggs and Murtaugh, for Navarre and Isabeau.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Thanks for all mr. Donner, not just Superman and Clark, but for Damien, for One eyed Willy, for Riggs and Murtaugh, for Navarre and Isabeau.
    R.I.P. to Mr Donner indeed. He introduced me to Superman and for that I will be grateful. Only Riggs and Murtaugh are my other favourites of his creation, fond memories all round.

Condolences to his family.

Astonishing Member

RIP Richard Donner.

This is the man who invented the superhero film genre as we know it today. Almost anyone who's made a superhero film in the last 40 years or so (or any live-action superhero media for that matter) owes a debt to Donner.

Scrooged is my all time favorite Christmas movie and a must watch every year.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

How many cuts of Superman are there? And what are the major differences? I always sort of thought the movie as released in theatres WAS the "Donner cut"...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    How many cuts of Superman are there? And what are the major differences? I always sort of thought the movie as released in theatres WAS the "Donner cut"...
    The first Superman had just one cut.

Superman 2 has two cuts. The original version (the Donner cut) was never released in theaters. Donner filmed about 75% of the movie (he made Superman 1 and 2 at the same time) but fell out with the Salkinds and was fired off the project. Richard Lester came into finish the movie but he re-shot a ton of new scenes to get a directors credit. Lester pretty much added in majority of the humor that makes the final cut.

Needless to say, the Donner cut and the Lester version are quite different. The Donner cut is a more serious movie and is much more like the first movie. Some of the major differences between the two cuts are- Zod and co get arrested at the end of the Donner cut, Brando’s Joe-El appears more in the movie, Superman pretty much drains the Fortress of Solitude energy to repower himself, Lois Lane uses a gun with blanks to discover Superman’s identity, Superman destroys the fortress of solitude at the end and Superman reverse time again.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    R.I.P. Mr. Donner.

This little anecdote is amazing and the man just got Superman.

Attachment 111220
    Much like the movie itself, this story will never be forgotten. Great stuff!

Also always loved the part in Goonies when Sloth does the S t-shirt reveal.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

He also directed that one episode of the Twilight Zone with William Shatner.
    Assassinate Putin!

RIP Richard Donner.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The first Superman had just one cut.

Superman 2 has two cuts. The original version (the Donner cut) was never released in theaters. Donner filmed about 75% of the movie (he made Superman 1 and 2 at the same time) but fell out with the Salkinds and was fired off the project. Richard Lester came into finish the movie but he re-shot a ton of new scenes to get a directors credit. Lester pretty much added in majority of the humor that makes the final cut.

Needless to say, the Donner cut and the Lester version are quite different. The Donner cut is a more serious movie and is much more like the first movie. Some of the major differences between the two cuts are- Zod and co get arrested at the end of the Donner cut, Brando’s Joe-El appears more in the movie, Superman pretty much drains the Fortress of Solitude energy to repower himself, Lois Lane uses a gun with blanks to discover Superman’s identity, Superman destroys the fortress of solitude at the end and Superman reverse time again.
    Thanks, I never knew that. And it sounds to me that I'd like the Donnor cut of S2 better.

Astonishing Member

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Thanks, I never knew that. And it sounds to me that I'd like the Donnor cut of S2 better.
    Honestly, the Donner Cut isn't that well put-together. I mean, its a decent enough film and certainly represents the director's vision better than the theatrical cut.

Unfortunately, Donner was over two decades removed from the actual making of the film (and his lead actor was dead). So no scope for fancy re-shoots! And he certainly didn't have the budget Snyder got for his cut. But all things considered, he did a pretty good job with what he had...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Honestly, the Donner Cut isn't that well put-together. I mean, its a decent enough film and certainly represents the director's vision better than the theatrical cut.

Unfortunately, Donner was over two decades removed from the actual making of the film (and his lead actor was dead). So no scope for fancy re-shoots! And he certainly didn't have the budget Snyder got for his cut. But all things considered, he did a pretty good job with what he had...
    There are multiple fan cuts out there and at least one that I know of that's attempting a more complete reworking of Superman II to get it in line with Donner's original script. Thankfully, cutting edge SFX circa 1978 can now be done on a PC these days...

Extraordinary Member

The characters in his movies were so memorable and distinctive. He obviously knew how to get the best performances out of his actors, but I suspect he also had the writer chops enough to select the proper scripts and modify them as needed. And unlike someone I could mention; he was reportedly nice and fun to work with. But he also got story telling far better than today's active directors IMO.