14 60.87%
  • No

3 13.04%
  • Not Sure or It Depends

6 26.09%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is it fair that some Actors are not taken Seriously

Is it fair some actors who are credible movie stars or tv stars are just not taken into real account as serious actors, in terms of acting skills and range that people are convinced enough they have the talent to give Oscar worthy performances?

I will list a few actors in this category that I feel is right in this situation.

The Rock
    Vin Denzel
    Meghan Fox
    Adam Sandler
    Jean-Claude Van Damme
    Shia Lebouf
    Vince Vaughn
    Many actors on the CW Network
    Last edited by Castle; 07-05-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Ultimate Member

A lot of those you listed don't actually have range.

The Rock often plays the same character in most every role.

Vin Diesel to me has never been a convincing bad ass, and he's played virtually nothing else.

Dunno about some of the others, but yes. Some actors have earned their reps.

*edit*

I've not followed Meghan Fox, but I personally don't begrudge her for calling Michael Bay 'like Hitler'. He's taken unnecessary risks for brainless movies (and I like Transformers). I think people forget that he basically killed a stuntwoman for a scene in Transformers, and was so careless as to actually burn Shia.
    Last edited by The Cool Thatguy; 07-05-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Shia LaBeouf doesn't belong to this group. He is taken seriously after his turns in American Honey, Pieces of a Woman, and The Peanut Butter Falcon.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

With Meghan Fox, her looks hurt her , in those transformers days, people in all their shallow glory did not just shut up on how extremely hot , extremely attractive and sexy she was, I knew back then , she will never be taken seriously as an actress, unless she does something extreme. maybe transform herself like Charlize Theron did for Monster.

Fox to me is in the some boat as how some in the industry treat super models who try to become actors or do act in film. they also will never be taken seriously. Also it is ironic they replaced her with a super model for Transformers 3.

I dont also know what The Rock and Vin Diesel issues are, I feel both men should have challenged themselves by now to add more flavour to their Fast and furious reputations when it comes to acting on films.

it feels at this point The Rock has a better chance of becoming USA president than him giving an Oscar worthy film performance.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-05-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Maybe they like making big fun movies and don't give two s&!ts about an Oscar.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That and they're getting paid boat loads of money to do what they've been doing. I know I wouldn't change if I was in that position.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    it is not about Oscars in the literal sense of the word. the Oscars is used more as a metaphor here to talk about actors who can give amazing performances that shows they have good acting skills and range.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    it is not about Oscars in the literal sense of the word. the Oscars is used more as a metaphor here to talk about actors who can give amazing performance that deserved to be taken seriously.
    Maybe they don't want to or can't? What do our wants matter in the long run?

Does the Rock look upset about his career to you?

BANNED

Another two actors I know that is often debated on if they were serious actors are Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

However, I just cannot put them on the list, although when both men were becoming movie stars, they were The Rock and Vin Diesel of my parents generation

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Another two actors I know that is often debated on if they were serious actors are Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

However, I just cannot put them on the list, although when both men were becoming movie stars, they were The Rock and Vin Diesel of my parents generation
    I don't think I've ever really seen that debated.

And yet again, I ask did either one of them voice regret about the trajectory of their careers?

Vin actually did get some acclaim for this film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Find_Me_Guilty
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think I've ever really seen that debated.

And yet again, I ask did either one of them voice regret about the trajectory of their careers?
    Stallone in particular had a pretty glittering career.

The guy was nominated for Oscars for writing and acting.

Schwarznegger's life was just...amazing. One of the luckiest guys ever.

I think it's fair.

When these actors go out of their wheelhouse, they often get credit for it. Sandler won an Independent Spirit Award for Uncut Gems.

Matthew McConaughey wasn't taken too seriously before a string of good performances including an Oscar winning turn in Dallas Buyers Club.

Hillary Swank was best known for an unmemorable turn in Melrose Place before Boys Don't Cry.

Sandra Bullock wasn't seen as a likely Oscar contender before The Blind Side.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Niffleheim

Remove Shia Lebouf from that list and I will agree that I don't take any of the ppl on that list seriously. I did when I was younger but not today.

It is even funny when Diesel and Bautista look down on Dwayne's acting when I put them ALL in one bracket.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-06-2021 at 01:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Remove Shia Lebouf from that list and I will agree that I don't take any of the ppl on that list seriously. I did when I was younger but not today.

It is even funny when Diesel and Bautista look down on Dwayne for acting when I put them ALL in one bracket.
    I think that Dwayne could do better, if he wasn't so damn concerned about his 'brand'