• Yes

14 60.87%
  • No

3 13.04%
  • Not Sure or It Depends

6 26.09%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Is it fair some actors who are credible movie stars or tv stars are just not taken into real account as serious actors, in terms of acting skills and range that people are convinced enough they have the talent to give Oscar worthy performances?

I will list a few actors in this category that I feel is right in this situation.

The Rock
    Vin Denzel
    Meghan Fox
    Adam Sandler
    Jean-Claude Van Damme
    Shia Lebouf
    Vince Vaughn
    Many actors on the CW Network
    Depends entirely on who it is. For instance, going back a ways, I always thought Bill Bixby was a very good actor, especially when you saw scenes and roles that showed it. There was even an Emmy nomination. But he got typecast into what were considered fluff shows. In fact, that was Hugh Jackman's comment on Bixby, a great actor trapped in roles people considered fluff.

Again, it all comes down to the specific actor we are talking about.
    Power with Girl is better.

It’s not just an actor and his/her acting. You need a good role to shine. A movie director must give a chance to an actor and imagines what he/she can do in a role that is unusual for him/her.

Coluche, more a public entertainer than an actor, got a prize for his role in “Tchao Pantin”.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

Not taken seriously is debatable. I think at this point if you don't take Vin Diesel seriously you just might be a hater. His track record with FF isn't really comparable to anything. And that's with critics calling him trash for 20 plus years. I give him his respect but each to his own.

But I think it goes beyond being taken seriously certain actors just seem to get a lot hate from critics out the gate. Just because they don't do dramatic roles , art house movies or maybe they're just too macho. Now that part isn't fair.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Shia LaBeouf doesn't belong to this group. He is taken seriously after his turns in American Honey, Pieces of a Woman, and The Peanut Butter Falcon.
    He'll always be the "Just....DO IT!" guy to me (how he isn't sponsored by Nike I'll never know). That said, it's a silly question. Not everyone is meant to be taken seriously. I'm sure Vin Diesel or the Rock could turn in Oscar-worthy performances if sufficiently coached, but at the end of the day they don't need to and it's arguable whether what they do is more or less valuable than the Meryl Streeps of the world. I may not have liked an Adam Sandler movie since the late '90s (unless you count Grandma's Boy, and that's still not very recent), but I can't argue that he's entertained a lot of people. And at the end of the day that's what the business is about. It's great that there's room for the highbrow stuff, and I don't want a movie industry that's solely popcorn fluff, but it's not (nor should it be) one-size-fits-all.

BANNED

I forgot of the Chris(s) of Hollywood that some have said are not good actors or don't take seriously as character actors.

Chris Pratt

Chris Hemsworth

These two are usually the most targeted of the Chris(s). Hemsworth even said, no one takes him seriously as an actor because of how he looks.

https://www.e***********/news/125569...about-his-body
    Chris Hemsworth Thinks He'd Be Taken Seriously As an Actor If He Changed This About His Body

I think the other two Chris(s). Evans and Pine are seen in a much better light as serious actors. Chris Evans has began to really prove himself with Knives Out and Gifted and so has Chris Pine with Hell or High Water.

Niffleheim

I think Pine is the only Chris that has variety of characters and genres in his credits than the others.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

As far as Megan Fox goes, I always thought that Jennifer's Body was an underrated movie. Unfairly trashed because the marketing for the film wanted to put all it's focus on how hot Fox was instead of what the movie was actually about.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Bruce Campbell's entire career is based on not being taken seriously.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

To Vaughn's credit he did try to break out of the comedies at the start of his career, and occasionally gone back to more serious roles here and there alongside the raunchy comedies.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It's funny about Vin Diesel's reputation seeing as how he got his break in serious dramas, and was almost universally lauded for the first Fast and the Furious film (even if the film itself wasn't lauded). He seems like a serious enough actor but is comfortable in his, ahem, lane. In fact, he was considered such a mature actor that the FF producers were worried they wouldn't get him -- he was the biggest star they were hoping to get, and he had the power to turn them down, even though at that point he was a supporting actor and had never been a leading man. FF was the first movie of his career to have him front and center. Now he's meme fodder.

Adam Sandler, god bless him. I'm not a fan of his but when he tries for dramatic roles, he really gives it a lot, but by now he's felt slighted by Hollywood for not taking him seriously, so he's regressed to his old style of movies. Critics all over kept praising him for Uncut Gems but it must have felt like they were trying to tell a wall how great he was in that role, since it wasn't enough to shake off his popular image.

Vince Vaughn started out as an indie-drama darling but I feel like to some degree he was the smart, popular, serious student that, once he joined a frat, let his love of goofing off derail his focus. He let himself go, I feel, which True Detective tried to restore.

Astonishing Member

I think the other two Chris(s). Evans and Pine are seen in a much better light as serious actors. Chris Evans has began to really prove himself with Knives Out and Gifted and so has Chris Pine with Hell or High Water.
    Evans/Pine had "paid their dues" so to speak in the world of theater before making it big. They had that advantage.

How about Tara Reid? Most of the knocks against her are valid, probably.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    How about Tara Reid? Most of the knocks against her are valid, probably.
    Didn't she try to rebound by being a parody of herself? Did that work out for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Didn't she try to rebound by being a parody of herself? Did that work out for her?
    She's done all of the Sharknado movies, I think, in that role. Might not pay well, not sure. The movies, at least some of them, are kind of legendary.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Nicholas Cage is the living embodiment of this concept.