• Yes

14 60.87%
  • No

3 13.04%
  • Not Sure or It Depends

6 26.09%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    Nicholas Cage is the living embodiment of this concept.
    What about his Oscar?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I feel really bad for Vaughn, who I've always liked, because I'm not really sure he has the range to succeed in projects that aren't comedies. I thought his character in True Detective S2 had the best storyline out of the main cast, but I think an actor with a little more dramatic range could have elevated the role significantly.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Didn't she try to rebound by being a parody of herself? Did that work out for her?
    Her IMDB bio is insane with projects. She's definitely working year around.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think that Dwayne could do better, if he wasn't so damn concerned about his 'brand'
    yeah I mean looking at doom(just the part he played) and be cool , I totally agree
    nahh hes the embodiment of enjoying his craft and not giving a iota what the rest thinks.

BANNED

Never took Tara Reid seriously as an actress, anytime I think of her all I can remember is boobs falling out of dress and the America Pie movies, and that franchise I just found very hard to take seriously even for a teen franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I think Pine is the only Chris that has variety of characters and genres in his credits than the others.
    Yes, Pine work is very varied.

I always felt Hemsworth is underrated. His cameo in Star Trek 2009 as George Kirk was excellent.

Never cared for Pratt as an actor, although he has movie star quality.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think he fits at all, I mean yeah people have openly mocked his personality for years but I've never heard anyone really knock him for his actual performances and he's definitely not someone who's been typecast.

YES, 100% Some actors aren't taken seriously because they don't seem to embrace the craft of acting. They don't seem to grow. They don't seem to seek out challenges. They don't even seem to want to do that... AND THAT'S FINE! I think there has to be a clear distinction between 'what they want' vs 'what others think an actor should do'. If they just want to make silly films, or depthless actions films, badly written horror, etc or simply not try to bring anything but the bare minimum asked even in good films (and get paid millions to do it) power to them. Live your best life. They have every right to do that.

BUT... that won't garner respect. That won't improve their talent. And that's okay, but on the same note: people are allowed to (for want of a better phrase) not value them as an actor... when said actors don't seem to give it much attention either.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Maybe they like making big fun movies and don't give two s&!ts about an Oscar.
    Probably true. Which is their right... but it doesn't garner respect for the craft of acting. Those are two separate issues. If that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It’s not just an actor and his/her acting. You need a good role to shine. A movie director must give a chance to an actor and imagines what he/she can do in a role that is unusual for him/her.
    HEAVILY disagree.
    a) you can make a fluff role fantastic, you just have to put in the work and create the complexity if none is given in your character. It's literally your job to do the role to the best of your ability.
    b) we're really only talking about movie stars here, and they could easily take a pay cut and do a lower budget film (still getting £100,000 for it) that gives them the opportunity to play varied characters, because the film will not care about type-casting if they have a major star attached to get it media attention.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Not taken seriously is debatable. I think at this point if you don't take Vin Diesel seriously you just might be a hater. His track record with FF isn't really comparable to anything. And that's with critics calling him trash for 20 plus years. I give him his respect but each to his own.
    But do you respect him as a film star or an ACTOR! As a star, he deserves respect because he made it. He's huge and to do that with limited talent is a great achievement. It's like Madonna... she's not where she is today based on singing ability, but more her drive, determination, work ethic and career savvy. But when it comes to acting ability, being a star doesn't mean you are a good actor worth respecting.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    He'll always be the "Just....DO IT!" guy to me (how he isn't sponsored by Nike I'll never know). That said, it's a silly question. Not everyone is meant to be taken seriously. I'm sure Vin Diesel or the Rock could turn in Oscar-worthy performances if sufficiently coached, but at the end of the day they don't need to and it's arguable whether what they do is more or less valuable than the Meryl Streeps of the world.
    Errrr. no. I really don't think they could. It's not THAT simple; a little coaching and BAM you're brilliant at acting. I'm sure I could become an Eisner award winning comic artist, I'll take a few art classes and be ready to win that accolade, right? Come on, that's pretty dismissive of the craft of acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    https://www.e***********/news/125569...about-his-body
    Chris Hemsworth Thinks He'd Be Taken Seriously As an Actor If He Changed This About His Body
    People forget both Peter O'Toole and Paul Newman felt they weren't give the level of kudos for their early work, because many dismissed them as 'just pretty boys'.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I always felt Hemsworth is underrated. His cameo in Star Trek 2009 as George Kirk was excellent.
    I think Hemsworth is very talented. He's easily the most gifted of all the Marvel Chrises. He was very good in "Rush", and in his films is able to deliver comedy, tragedy and knows when to throw away a line. He's a damn good actor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

But do you respect him as a film star or an ACTOR! As a star, he deserves respect because he made it. He's huge and to do that with limited talent is a great achievement. It's like Madonna... she's not where she is today based on singing ability, but more her drive, determination, work ethic and career savvy. But when it comes to acting ability, being a star doesn't mean you are a good actor worth respecting.
    You know what? I do respect him as an actor. Because he has the ability to make millions of ppl believe in what he's doing and presenting on screen. And that after all is the job of an actor.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You know what? I do respect him as an actor. Because he has the ability to make millions of ppl believe in what he's doing and presenting on screen. And that after all is the job of an actor.
    When I watch him( and I do enjoy his work) I don't think I've ever really "believed" in what he was doing to the point that I don't think I can really name any of the characters he's played...he's just Vin Diesel in just about everything he's done. Fast and Furious? Fun films...but who's he play? What are his motivations as a character? I don't know, it's Vin Diesel blowing up cars and it's fun. Pitch Black films? Who is he? What does he want? Heck if I know, it's just Vin Diesel in space killing people and its fun to watch.

I think the only two roles where he actually made me care about who he was playing were Iron Giant and Guardians of the Galaxy...and in both films he just provides the voice...and even then really only makes noises. And yet those are the roles where I actually remember the character's names and actually feel like they had actual personalities and lives of their own.

Rock has put in some pretty good performances in movies like Runner and Gain & Pain.
    He also has great comedic timing, which some actors don't.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    When I watch him( and I do enjoy his work) I don't think I've ever really "believed" in what he was doing to the point that I don't think I can really name any of the characters he's played...he's just Vin Diesel in just about everything he's done. Fast and Furious? Fun films...but who's he play? What are his motivations as a character? I don't know, it's Vin Diesel blowing up cars and it's fun. Pitch Black films? Who is he? What does he want? Heck if I know, it's just Vin Diesel in space killing people and its fun to watch.

I think the only two roles where he actually made me care about who he was playing were Iron Giant and Guardians of the Galaxy...and in both films he just provides the voice...and even then really only makes noises. And yet those are the roles where I actually remember the character's names and actually feel like they had actual personalities and lives of their own.
    Ha, for me it's the opposite. I care the least for GOTG,IG chars. Dom and Riddick are different one is a loner type and the other is all about Family lol. The motivations might not be complicated maybe he's just trying to survive or being forced to pull off a caper. But that's okay too. If the masses who see his movies didn't care they wouldn't be spending money and he wouldn't be successful.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Rock has put in some pretty good performances in movies like Runner and Gain & Pain.
    He also has great comedic timing, which some actors don't.
    Yeah, but he also seems to religiously protect his brand. He has people counting the punches his character takes, for example. In Hobbs and Shaw, his fight with a cyborg superman was pretty underwhelming because of that, IMO.

Compare that to Chris Evans' Cap, who got his rear beat in two of his own movies.