14 60.87%
  • No

3 13.04%
  • Not Sure or It Depends

6 26.09%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    When I watch him( and I do enjoy his work) I don't think I've ever really "believed" in what he was doing to the point that I don't think I can really name any of the characters he's played...he's just Vin Diesel in just about everything he's done. Fast and Furious? Fun films...but who's he play? What are his motivations as a character? I don't know, it's Vin Diesel blowing up cars and it's fun. Pitch Black films? Who is he? What does he want? Heck if I know, it's just Vin Diesel in space killing people and its fun to watch.

I think the only two roles where he actually made me care about who he was playing were Iron Giant and Guardians of the Galaxy...and in both films he just provides the voice...and even then really only makes noises. And yet those are the roles where I actually remember the character's names and actually feel like they had actual personalities and lives of their own.
    Vin Diesel's brief scene (and death) in Saving Private Ryan probably featured his best acting.

EDIT: Remembering that scene, it was him trying to help a "family" that got him killed in the movie. LOLOLOL.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-16-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Vin Diesel's brief scene (and death) in Saving Private Ryan probably featured his best acting.

EDIT: Remembering that scene, it was him trying to help a "family" that got him killed in the movie. LOLOLOL.
    Can you remember the character's name? Anything about who he was as a person? How about his back story?

I'm not saying he's terrible, I enjoy him in everything he does...but he's not exactly big on bringing complex characters to life.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Can you remember the character's name? Anything about who he was as a person? How about his back story?

I'm not saying he's terrible, I enjoy him in everything he does...but he's not exactly big on bringing complex characters to life.
    I can’t remember his name at all in the movie.

It’s one of the rare times I’ve seen him actually show real emotion in a terrible situation.

Since Pitch Black, he’s almost always played the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, but he also seems to religiously protect his brand. He has people counting the punches his character takes, for example. In Hobbs and Shaw, his fight with a cyborg superman was pretty underwhelming because of that, IMO.

Compare that to Chris Evans' Cap, who got his rear beat in two of his own movies.
    Which has nothing to do with his acting or comedy chops. He has shown that he can do deeper characters if he wanted to. But it's fine that he wants to do big , fun movies like F&F and Jumanji.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Jean-Claude Van Damme
    It wasn't because of his acting that he used to be a joke.

Pro tip : do not give interviews when you are high as a kite. Unless you're already firmly established as quite the drugs enthousiast. Then sure, go ahead lol.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Which has nothing to do with his acting or comedy chops. He has shown that he can do deeper characters if he wanted to. But it's fine that he wants to do big , fun movies like F&F and Jumanji.
    It demonstrates how far he's willing to go, IMO. He's scheduled to play an anti-hero, is he willing to risk losing the audience's sympathy?

Extraordinary Member

The Rock actually did some damn fine dramatic acting in Skyscraper and San Andreas.

It demonstrates how far he's willing to go, IMO. He's scheduled to play an anti-hero, is he willing to risk losing the audience's sympathy?
    And again, nothing to do with his acting abilities, just what type of career he wants. My guess, it won't affect his popularity one bit.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

And again, nothing to do with his acting abilities, just what type of career he wants. My guess, it won't affect his popularity one bit.
    I just don't think he's demonstrated a convincing range yet, IMO. Largely to protect his brand, IMO. But we'll see

I just don't think he's demonstrated a convincing range yet, IMO. Largely to protect his brand, IMO. But we'll see
    If you are expecting him to play Othello, you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Is it fair some actors who are credible movie stars or tv stars are just not taken into real account as serious actors, in terms of acting skills and range that people are convinced enough they have the talent to give Oscar worthy performances?

I will list a few actors in this category that I feel is right in this situation.

The Rock
    Vin Denzel
    Meghan Fox
    Adam Sandler
    Jean-Claude Van Damme
    Shia Lebouf
    Vince Vaughn
    Many actors on the CW Network
    No but that's just how it goes. The life of an artist is rarely an easy one. But they get paid the big bucks so I don't know if they care.

Shia Lebouf had a tumultuous personal life that tanked his career. I feel sorry for him but it is what it is.

The CW has a lot of good actors mixed in with weak material or newer actors cutting their teeth. Especially in the Originals or the 100. So I wished they'd be able to use those shows to spring launch their careers.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-17-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Breaking Bad originally wanted Mathew Broderick for Walter White. Would one of our most esteemed actors be so if Cranston didn't get that part. Or would he still be Malcolm's Dad and Jerry's Dentist?

It is a lot about the parts they take and the parts offered to them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    No but that's just how it goes. The life of an artist is rarely an easy one. But they get paid the big bucks so I don't know if they care.
    Some do-

Marlon Wayans tried out for a movie and got rejected and heard them say "no F-word Wayans in this movie!" So Marlon tried again. He dressed and went all out to fit the part again.

The movie was Requiem for A Dream. A role a lot of folks praised him for since it was a drama role. Think it's the only one he has really done.

Is it fair some actors who are credible movie stars or tv stars are just not taken into real account as serious actors, in terms of acting skills and range that people are convinced enough they have the talent to give Oscar worthy performances?
    It's not. However that falls on the awards folks to do research and not jut take the films that get the most attention.

Some folks have indy films where they did a better job. I think Shia has a few of those.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordLeviathan View Post
    nahh hes the embodiment of enjoying his craft and not giving a iota what the rest thinks.
    Even right now critics are saying that a movie where Cage plays a weirdo hermit out to get his stolen pig back is really good and he's great in it.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You know what? I do respect him as an actor. Because he has the ability to make millions of ppl believe in what he's doing and presenting on screen. And that after all is the job of an actor.
    I highly doubt you see in-depth character presentation over 'the Rock' presentation. In general let's not use the Rock as a bench mark of ANYTHING to do with the concept of 'the job of an actor'. He's not an actor, he's a movie star. Two very different ideas.

It's fine that he wants to do that, of course, no-one is saying otherwise... but that mentality of 'I have a good time, and get paid millions to do it' does NOT garner respect for acting ability. Which is what is being discussed. Entertainment and acting ability are not necessarily the same thing, though they can coincide together. A stand-up comedian is not, by default, an actor. Though they entertain. Same for singers. Artists. Drag queens. Etc.

What does his popularity have to do with this??? We're talking about acting respect, not popularity.

If you are expecting him to play Othello, you will be disappointed.
    If he did play Othello, we'd ALL be disappointed... at how badly he delivered Shakespeare
    #shade
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."