14 60.87%
  • No

3 13.04%
  • Not Sure or It Depends

6 26.09%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I highly doubt you see in-depth character presentation over 'the Rock' presentation. In general let's not use the Rock as a bench mark of ANYTHING to do with the concept of 'the job of an actor'. He's not an actor, he's a movie star. Two very different ideas.

It's fine that he wants to do that, of course, no-one is saying otherwise... but that mentality of 'I have a good time, and get paid millions to do it' does NOT garner respect for acting ability. Which is what is being discussed. Entertainment and acting ability are not necessarily the same thing, though they can coincide together. A stand-up comedian is not, by default, an actor. Though they entertain. Same for singers. Artists. Drag queens. Etc.

What does his popularity have to do with this??? We're talking about acting respect, not popularity.

If he did play Othello, we'd ALL be disappointed... at how badly he delivered Shakespeare
    #shade
    I was talking about Vin Diesel not the Rock but still the concept is the same. Disagree that being a movie star and an actor are 2 "very different things".

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I was talking about Vin Diesel not the Rock but still the concept is the same. Disagree that being a movie star and an actor are 2 "very different things".
    They are very different beasts; because they are being 'judged' (for want of a better word) with very different criteria. Movie stars are judged on box office success, fame, name recognition, popularity... none of that is about acting ability. You don't need to be a competent actor to be a movie star. That's not to say the two don't co-exist and align with each other at times, even often. But if proof of 'acting chops' (or a need to respect someone as an ACT-or, darhling) is backed up with 'their movies makes lots of money'... well... that's like saying 'this soup tastes really good, because I recognize the brand name'. Apples and oranges, really.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-18-2021 at 04:04 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Errrr. no. I really don't think they could. It's not THAT simple; a little coaching and BAM you're brilliant at acting. I'm sure I could become an Eisner award winning comic artist, I'll take a few art classes and be ready to win that accolade, right? Come on, that's pretty dismissive of the craft of acting.

People forget both Peter O'Toole and Paul Newman felt they weren't give the level of kudos for their early work, because many dismissed them as 'just pretty boys'.

I think Hemsworth is very talented. He's easily the most gifted of all the Marvel Chrises. He was very good in "Rush", and in his films is able to deliver comedy, tragedy and knows when to throw away a line. He's a damn good actor.
    Paul Newman grew as an actor and started challenging himself, Road to Perdition 2002, what if I remember correctly was his last film, put him in a very complex-villain role. Hopefully someone like Chris Hemsworth can get the same memo, after his time in the MCU is over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Breaking Bad originally wanted Mathew Broderick for Walter White. Would one of our most esteemed actors be so if Cranston didn't get that part. Or would he still be Malcolm's Dad and Jerry's Dentist?

It is a lot about the parts they take and the parts offered to them.
    Also Mathew Broderick likely sees himself far more an a movie actor and stage actor. back then, he may have felt doing TV was a step down, especially when you take into account Breaking Bad was not on one of the big networks. CBS,NBC, ABC or even HBO.

Broderick is a good actor to me, but I feel he gets easily overshadowed. Watch a film like Glory. Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman, overshadowed him and stole the show, even if Broderick's character was supposed to be the main character in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Paul Newman grew as an actor and started challenging himself, Road to Perdition 2002, what if I remember correctly was his last film, put him in a very complex-villain role. Hopefully someone like Chris Hemsworth can get the same memo, after his time in the MCU is over.
    Oh, see I love Paul Newman, always have... and to me he's always be wonderful and bold with his choices, and daring and going for the truth of the character. And I think Chris Hemsworth certainly has the talent to be dynamite. Even AT Marvel, he's probably one of the most impressive performances.

Broderick is a good actor to me, but I feel he gets easily overshadowed. Watch a film like Glory. Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman, overshadowed him and stole the show, even if Broderick's character was supposed to be the main character in the movie.
    Truthfully... I've never much cared for Matthew Broderick. I think the time I enjoyed him most was as the creepy/needy/helpless guy in 30 Rock (in corporate, I think, or the senate, I forget).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Fantastic Member

What about his Oscar?
    Yeah Cage is an interesting case because while he does make a ton of bad movies he also does good work. They might give Cage another Oscar this year for Pig he seems like a lock for a nomination.

Ultimate Member

Also Mathew Broderick likely sees himself far more an a movie actor and stage actor. back then, he may have felt doing TV was a step down, especially when you take into account Breaking Bad was not on one of the big networks. CBS,NBC, ABC or even HBO.

The part in bold is hilarious to me for all the wrong reasons

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Actually for the right reasons.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Actually for the right reasons.
    Eh, depends on your interpretation

The white captain shouldn't have been the main character in that movie, and Matt up against Jackson and Freeman? No contest there.

Fantastic Member

Eh, depends on your interpretation

The white captain shouldn't have been the main character in that movie, and Matt up against Jackson and Freeman? No contest there.
    I think you mean Washington...and frankly Freeman is a bit over-rated Braugher's performance is the more powerful one and should have been the anchor of the story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    I think you mean Washington...and frankly Freeman is a bit over-rated Braugher's performance is the more powerful one and should have been the anchor of the story.
    Yeah my bad. Been a while since I saw the movie, but all the same, why is the main character in a movie about an all black brigade the white commander?

BANNED

The examples given are generally actors that don't have range to begin with, like Adam West or something.

A better example is an actor like Leslie Nielsen, who generally played the heavy until Airplane. Then he couldn't get any other type of role. I never heard that he complained about that, though.

Extraordinary Member

Nielsen arguably had a far more prolific career in comedy than he had before hand; the more “serious” roles he had didn’t really show his talent or charisma.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Yeah Cage is an interesting case because while he does make a ton of bad movies he also does good work. They might give Cage another Oscar this year for Pig he seems like a lock for a nomination.
    Cage takes all roles he can get simply to pay his debts. As you said he still has movies that could get him an oscar again but most of them are for the money.

BANNED

I was not trying to be funny though. this needs more substance.