Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I was so glad when Rucka came back and promptly cleaned up Azzarello's mess with the Amazons.

Yeah, that was a huge relief for me as well. At one point, I thought we would be stuck with the New 52 Amazons for the foreseeable future.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Now we just need a better adaptation. Something that stays truer to what Marston, Perez and Rucka did.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I was so glad when Rucka came back and promptly cleaned up Azzarello's mess with the Amazons.
    Even if those portions were pretty sloppy and the digs at Azzarello's direction were arguably a bit petty/rude...it was just so cathartic that I don't care and fully embrace it.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not that familiar with Connor outside of Morrison's JLA, but he didn't come across as just like Ollie there.
    The scant moments when Connor appeared in Morrison's JLA seemed pretty true to his introverted character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not that familiar with Connor outside of Morrison's JLA, but he didn't come across as just like Ollie there.
    It was pretty much lampshaded in Rock of Ages.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/1S46ZAyWgs...5N_ngbVG=s1600

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post

If that's the only example, that's out of character, but not too agregious. The tragedy in Star City that starts the Rock of Ages storyline was shocking, I'm sure a lot of people would react that way.

How could've Connor reacted to those events in way that would be more in character for him?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post

I can only think of his reaction to the Star City devastation being the only scene that showcases him having some Ollie in him. Throughout the rest of that arc and in the two parter with the Key, he really doesn't seem like Ollie at all.

I'd love to mention Azz and the Amazons, but that's maybe more an attempt at changing the characters than an OOC moment? Kinda like when Ollie went all murdery or Bruce got all grimdark or Ted turned into a bit of a doofus (a genius doofus, admittedly).

Obviously, Heroes in Crisis, Identity Crisis, and I'd say Emerald Twilight ..or do you think they count as attempts at changing characters, too?

Retired

Given that Hal Jordan had never really been rebooted after Crisis--with the same creative team on GREEN LANTERN now GREEN LANTERN CORPS. There was no reason to change his character. Even once GREEN LANTERN CORPS was abruptly cancelled and Hal was shifted to ACTION COMICS WEEKLY--the new writer, James Owsley, didn't seem to change Hal's character, at first. But with EMERALD DAWN, Owz threw Hal under the bus, making him into a drunk. Which just seemed like a rip-off of "Demon in a Bottle."

It was an intentional transition, but out of nowhere and out of character: Blue Devil making a deal with Neron. Firstly, it was extremely out of character to make the deal. Secondly he made the deal because he wanted to be a star...except he had no history of wanting to be actor. He was a stuntman and special effects guy with no wish to act. And what he did want more than anything was to be out of the suit and just be plain old Dan Cassidy again (revisited again in a storyline just a couple years before this one). So the entire thing made no sense.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'd love to mention Azz and the Amazons, but that's maybe more an attempt at changing the characters than an OOC moment? Kinda like when Ollie went all murdery or Bruce got all grimdark or Ted turned into a bit of a doofus (a genius doofus, admittedly).

Obviously, Heroes in Crisis, Identity Crisis, and I'd say Emerald Twilight ..or do you think they count as attempts at changing characters, too?
    Heroes no. King made the plot first, then asked which characters he can use as the culprit and the accuse. DC gave him Booster, Wally and Harley. The character doesn't affect his general plot, just the specifics like maybe how they died since the speed force explosion was Wally specific and he wouldn't use that if DC gave him different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Heroes no. King made the plot first, then asked which characters he can use as the culprit and the accuse. DC gave him Booster, Wally and Harley. The character doesn't affect his general plot, just the specifics like maybe how they died since the speed force explosion was Wally specific and he wouldn't use that if DC gave him different characters.
    Right. I knew that, just wasn't thinking about it. Terrible tactic in an existing universe - just slotting in characters, regardless of it makes sense for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    It was an intentional transition, but out of nowhere and out of character: Blue Devil making a deal with Neron. Firstly, it was extremely out of character to make the deal. Secondly he made the deal because he wanted to be a star...except he had no history of wanting to be actor. He was a stuntman and special effects guy with no wish to act. And what he did want more than anything was to be out of the suit and just be plain old Dan Cassidy again (revisited again in a storyline just a couple years before this one). So the entire thing made no sense.
    THAT one always bugged the living spit out of me. Blue Devil was always such an interesting character. Stunt Man demonically bonded to his freaky exoskeleton. Sure, there was some body horror there, but Dan Cassidy just kind of rolled with it and became a (reluctant) super-hero and weirdness magnet. Then, suddenly, he's got this weird, out-of-nowhere motivation, and it becomes an excuse to send him down the path to becoming an honest-to-Oa demon. Meh. He and Kid Devil were eighteen times more interesting when they WEREN'T demons.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    It was even worse in this trash from the early 2000s:

Not just was Wonder Woman comically underpowered, forgetting her own powers at times, having her lasso broken by Bizzaro and it getting fixed by Batman, and just having some unknown wannabe Wonder Woman/Harley Quinn hybrid instead of any of her actual villains as part of the story, she also jumped between odd Superman fangirl and quick to anger in personality:

Even Batman and Ra's al Ghul's were oddly out of character at times, but the entire 3 issue series was truly like a recipe of how to not write Wonder Woman.

That sounds like writers who project their own political views on the characters, but picked some of the to these views most unfitting characters possible.
    Ah yes, Trinity. In which Batman sexually assaults Wonder Woman.