Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

The amount of times this has been used to justify Diana as a killer just…meh.

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-06-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Hal Jordan in "Emerald Twilight" (naturally)
    Hal Jordan in the Nu52 "Justice League"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana says she doesn't label herself as gay or bisexual in that story so it seems it isn't something she talks about often. Even then, Clark still isn't uncomfortable about it at all.
    She doesn't have to identify as gay or bi to be an ally.
    I just don't think Clark being surprised at Diana supporting marriage equality is believable.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This bs
    Ew, what the hell?

Retired

When folks post images as examples, is it possible to give the series title, issue number and cover date? I have no idea where most of these pages are from.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Wally West too in his 1987 series.
    Actually, the backstory for Wally as a conservative goes back to the early 1980s. Wolfman explicitly had him speak of himself as a "Midwestern conservative," although party affiliation didn't come into it. Prior to that, he was pretty much a blank slate politically, so it's not that we can say it was out of character. I will agree that the Wally Baron gave us in the 1987, from page 1, was a pretty stark departure from the Wally we'd seen before.

In Battle for the Cowl, both Damian and Jason couldn't have been identified if it wasn't explicitly stated that's who they were. In fact, Morrison's Jason Todd was Jason in name only throughout their run.

Morrison can write really good stuff, but they should be kept far away from Jason Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    It was even worse in this trash from the early 2000s:

Not just was Wonder Woman comically underpowered, forgetting her own powers at times, having her lasso broken by Bizzaro and it getting fixed by Batman, and just having some unknown wannabe Wonder Woman/Harley Quinn hybrid instead of any of her actual villains as part of the story, she also jumped between odd Superman fangirl and quick to anger in personality:

Even Batman and Ra's al Ghul's were oddly out of character at times, but the entire 3 issue series was truly like a recipe of how to not write Wonder Woman.
    I liked the bits in the story where she pokes holes in the Bat-ego but yeah to be expected with Batman (and Superman) writers.

Also pretty sure the pink haired character was supposed to be Artemis.

Incredible Member

The amount of Wonder suckage in this thread is depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hal Jordan in "Emerald Twilight" (naturally)
    Hal Jordan in the Nu52 "Justice League"
    What he said!
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Actually, the backstory for Wally as a conservative goes back to the early 1980s. Wolfman explicitly had him speak of himself as a "Midwestern conservative," although party affiliation didn't come into it. Prior to that, he was pretty much a blank slate politically, so it's not that we can say it was out of character. I will agree that the Wally Baron gave us in the 1987, from page 1, was a pretty stark departure from the Wally we'd seen before.
    We should also bear in mind that an American identifying as conservative/Republican in 1987 was quite different from an American identifying as such today. Politically, the nation is in a different place now than it was back in the 1980s.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This bs

Is this from Superman Grounded?

Anything that Bendis touch because his take on Saturn Girl is just awful and is another O5!Jean of All-New X-Men in disguise because he doesn't freaking know how to write telepaths in general
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    It was even worse in this trash from the early 2000s:

Not just was Wonder Woman comically underpowered, forgetting her own powers at times, having her lasso broken by Bizzaro and it getting fixed by Batman, and just having some unknown wannabe Wonder Woman/Harley Quinn hybrid instead of any of her actual villains as part of the story, she also jumped between odd Superman fangirl and quick to anger in personality:

Even Batman and Ra's al Ghul's were oddly out of character at times, but the entire 3 issue series was truly like a recipe of how to not write Wonder Woman.

That sounds like writers who project their own political views on the characters, but picked some of the to these views most unfitting characters possible.
    That's not even the dumbest panel. There is a scene where Batman sneaks into Themyscira, see Diana naked and is rendered so horny for her that he kisses her. While, I enjoyed Wagner's 'Monster Men' and 'Mad Monk', 'Trinity' was embellic of DC's issues with Batman at the time; they made him as much of an asshole as possible while simultaneously rubbing in your face how much better and cooler he was than Superman and Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Wally West too in his 1987 series.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I didn't start following his series until Mark Waid was writing it so I have missed the early years. I've been hoping DC will collect more of those issues in a trade. I picked up the trade collecting the earliest issues and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
    Wally in his own series by the time Mark Waid was writing him was pretty different from when Wolfman was writing him in the Titans. He seemed pretty conservative in the Titans. I remember he was pretty hostile to Red Star just because he was Russian. I can believe Wolfman's Wally was a Republican.
    For more context, here is when Piper was first revealed as gay and Wally's reaction to it:

https://www.cbr.com/almost-hidden-th...of-the-closet/

It wasn't homphobic but he was surprised and needed to run it off for a few seconds before coming back to Piper. Consider that even in the first two decades of the 21st century, Kate Kane's debut caused headlines as did Alan Scott being 'outed' as gay and Alysia Yeoh being trans caused a huge internet backlash, this was very ballsy and progressive for the time.

At least from what I understand. I'm not American but I understand that conservatism was a different thing back then compared to what it is now. I can imagine even the pre-Waid Wally West supporting any of what modern conservatives are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    A real pet peeve moment for me was how Superman was written when Wonder Woman officiated a same sex wedding in Sensation Comics.
    While the idea of Diana officiating a same sex wedding and talking about same sex relationships among the Amazons was a beautiful moment, Clark was written as uncomfortable with the idea which felt offensively out of character. I don't see that kind of prejudice as being part of Clark's character. I think the writer was just leaning on Clark being raised in Kansas despite there not being anything in his history to support him being anti-equality.

https://comicbook.com/news/wonder-wo...20first%20time.

Another thing that really bothered me was the ill considered mini from some years back which explored characters political beliefs. Wonder Woman and Lois Lane were both said to be Republicans. I can't believe those two would be members of the anti-choice and anti-LGBT party. That has aged very very badly.
    Wonder Woman being conservative reads as a shallow take due to her being from a warrior culture. Her creator was into polyamory, there is a lot of queer subtext in WW comics, even though WW aided America in WW2, the narrative was explicitly against warfare. Like, literally, her main foe was the embodiment of war itself. Same with Lois, it's like their entire take on her conservative comes from her having a military father rather than anything that comes from her own accomplishments.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Green Arrow vol 2 #101 1995.

Remember the time Oliver “Drama” Queen killed himself, rather than let Superman help him?