Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Most Egregious Out of Character Moments

Post examples of characters being written terribly.

An easy one: Superman killing the Joker in Injuste 1.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Obviously, just about any time Wonder Woman's written by Tom Taylor.

And when most modern Bat-writers write her.

Last edited by Gaius; 07-05-2021 at 09:55 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Tom King writing Wally West OR Booster Gold.
    The man should NEVER be allowed within a 30ft radius of either character ever again.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

This bs

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

A real pet peeve moment for me was how Superman was written when Wonder Woman officiated a same sex wedding in Sensation Comics.
    While the idea of Diana officiating a same sex wedding and talking about same sex relationships among the Amazons was a beautiful moment, Clark was written as uncomfortable with the idea which felt offensively out of character. I don't see that kind of prejudice as being part of Clark's character. I think the writer was just leaning on Clark being raised in Kansas despite there not being anything in his history to support him being anti-equality.

https://comicbook.com/news/wonder-wo...20first%20time.

Another thing that really bothered me was the ill considered mini from some years back which explored characters political beliefs. Wonder Woman and Lois Lane were both said to be Republicans. I can't believe those two would be members of the anti-choice and anti-LGBT party. That has aged very very badly.

For Superman, it's got to be this:

I can buy Superman killing an opponent in a Doomsday scenario wherein he had no choice but to fight to kill to stop his opponent but outright executing people? No. Just no.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Obviously, just about any time Wonder Woman's written by Tom Taylor.

And when most modern Bat-writers write her.

]
    It was even worse in this trash from the early 2000s:

Not just was Wonder Woman comically underpowered, forgetting her own powers at times, having her lasso broken by Bizzaro and it getting fixed by Batman, and just having some unknown wannabe Wonder Woman/Harley Quinn hybrid instead of any of her actual villains as part of the story, she also jumped between odd Superman fangirl and quick to anger in personality:

Even Batman and Ra's al Ghul's were oddly out of character at times, but the entire 3 issue series was truly like a recipe of how to not write Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    A real pet peeve moment for me was how Superman was written when Wonder Woman officiated a same sex wedding in Sensation Comics.
    While the idea of Diana officiating a same sex wedding and talking about same sex relationships among the Amazons was a beautiful moment, Clark was written as uncomfortable with the idea which felt offensively out of character. I don't see that kind of prejudice as being part of Clark's character. I think the writer was just leaning on Clark being raised in Kansas despite there not being anything in his history to support him being anti-equality.

Another thing that really bothered me was the ill considered mini from some years back which explored characters political beliefs. Wonder Woman and Lois Lane were both said to be Republicans. I can't believe those two would be members of the anti-choice and anti-LGBT party. That has aged very very badly.
    That sounds like writers who project their own political views on the characters, but picked some of the to these views most unfitting characters possible.

Wally West too in his 1987 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    It was even worse in this trash from the early 2000s:

Not just was Wonder Woman comically underpowered, forgetting her own powers at times, having her lasso broken by Bizzaro and it getting fixed by Batman, and just having some unknown wannabe Wonder Woman/Harley Quinn hybrid instead of any of her actual villains as part of the story, she also jumped between odd Superman fangirl and quick to anger in personality:

Even Batman and Ra's al Ghul's were oddly out of character at times, but the entire 3 issue series was truly like a recipe of how to not write Wonder Woman.

That sounds like writers who project their own political views on the characters, but picked some of the to these views most unfitting characters possible.
    Definitely.
    I had to do a little research, but the mini series was DC Universe: Decisions by Judd Winick and Bill Willingham, 2008. Willingham took the Republican side, Winick the Democrats. I remember Batman was a Democrat - big on gun control.
    The plot did involve a fictional election. Superman refused to say how he was voting, even to Lois. Which I found rather hard to believe she wouldn't know his stand on the issues enough to know how he would vote even if he didn't tell her.
    I agree that Willingham was using two characters really wrong for his stance. I remember Wonder Woman's Republican support was based on a strong military position, but it's hard to swallow based on the social issues.

I read that issue and I don't see Clark as being uncomfortable with the idea of gay marriage. He was just mildly surprised that Diana supported it because he didn't know about that part of her. Nothing there suggested he had an issue against same-sex marriage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Wally West too in his 1987 series.
    I didn't start following his series until Mark Waid was writing it so I have missed the early years. I've been hoping DC will collect more of those issues in a trade. I picked up the trade collecting the earliest issues and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
    Wally in his own series by the time Mark Waid was writing him was pretty different from when Wolfman was writing him in the Titans. He seemed pretty conservative in the Titans. I remember he was pretty hostile to Red Star just because he was Russian. I can believe Wolfman's Wally was a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I read that issue and I don't see Clark as being uncomfortable with the idea of gay marriage. He was just mildly surprised that Diana supported it because he didn't know about that part of her. Nothing there suggested he had an issue against same-sex marriage at all.
    Why would he be surprised that Diana supported marriage equality though? Diana of all people is a pretty obvious LGBT ally.
    Of course, maybe it's because she voted Republican in 2008.

Why would he be surprised that Diana supported marriage equality though? Diana of all people is a pretty obvious LGBT ally.
    Of course, maybe it's because she voted Republican in 2008.
    Diana says she doesn't label herself as gay or bisexual in that story so it seems it isn't something she talks about often. Even then, Clark still isn't uncomfortable about it at all.