Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Engine

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default Dark Engine

#2 came out this week. Who here is reading it? What are your thoughts? Obviously there's a lot to be revealed, as this is somewhat in medias res, but the preface has been officially disclosed, though not explicitly in the contents of the book...

Also, I see it's missing from the past 2 months' solicitations, but #3's solicitation doesn't have the usual concluding-an-arc-for-break-advisory that Image solicitations usually have...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Bumping this cuz im curious to hear people's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Bumping this cuz im curious to hear people's thoughts.
    this is a good title that seems to be a too under the radar, unfortunately.

It has that mysterious big picture, multi-genre feel like East of West, Pretty Deadly, etc (both of which some ppl feel are too pretentious, I guess). I'm more curious about the lack of solicitations...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Maybe the first issue was a little pretentious, but I went in cold and I guess I have to respect that it didn't spoon-feed me a high concept. Killer visuals.

I've got #1 and #2 enroute, so i'll definetely revisit this thread once they're read.

All-New Member

I thought it was interesting and i am curious to what happens next

I enjoyed the first 2 issues, I missed the boat on Prophet & this kind of reminds me of that I have the feeling it's going to be bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by rac shade View Post
    I enjoyed the first 2 issues, I missed the boat on Prophet & this kind of reminds me of that I have the feeling it's going to be bonkers.
    let's not get carried away here...

All-New Member

Really, really wanted to like this but it didnt provide me with enough to be interested. I agree with your point about 'not being spoon fed' but for me it just felt too far in the opposite direction. Literally not a clue what was going on. Also feel that the art is not for me - it feels a bit too vague.

Interested in giving it another go though and got issue 2 so we'll see

All-New Member

Ok just finished #2 - I was really wrong about this title. Still not personally in love with the art styles but can feel a really strong story building. Looking forward to seeing where we go.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHaydock View Post
    Really, really wanted to like this but it didnt provide me with enough to be interested. I agree with your point about 'not being spoon fed' but for me it just felt too far in the opposite direction. Literally not a clue what was going on. Also feel that the art is not for me - it feels a bit too vague.

Interested in giving it another go though and got issue 2 so we'll see
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyHaydock View Post
    Ok just finished #2 - I was really wrong about this title. Still not personally in love with the art styles but can feel a really strong story building. Looking forward to seeing where we go.
    yeah, the thing is, the prologue is on the official Image site - it gives a nice couple of paragraphs of the set up. If someone isn't aware of that, then yeah, this comic is only confusing and leaves readers lost.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't like it if I hadn't read the web page. B/c it really is ridiculously leaving the reader in the dark based on the content of the just the issues themselves.

All-New Member

The cover to issue 1 really stood out to me so I picked it up and gave it a read. The art wasn't my thing and the story made no sense. Maybe if I read the preview on image comics website I might have a clue, but I really shouldn't have to read a prologue to not be totally confused as to what they're trying to do here - It should have been in the comic. I'll pass on this title.

Interesting start. I also am not a huge fan of the art per-say, but the story has built up my curiosity. I might have stick with it for a few more issues and see where it leads.

All-New Member

Has the prolouge been taken off the Image website? Can't seem to find it. (Might just be being thick and not seeing it)

Astonishing Member

Maybe they will clear it up when the trade is out. I mean in the trade...