Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Girl #2

Default Wonder Girl #2

Today’s lesson, learning you have super-strength in a plane is not ideal. Also, Yara really Flor-ed (heehee) that Amazon assassin which did get me to laugh.

Looks like the plot is a standard “prophecy, she could doom us or save us” but the world itself is interesting a new to me so I don’t mind the cliché.

And also, so, many, Amazon, cameos. Hippolytia, Artemis (who can fly now?) Cassie, yay!

And Yara meets her first god Eros. So we’ll see how that plays out.

Over all, it was entertaining. So a thumbs up from me.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Today’s lesson, learning you have super-strength in a plane is not ideal. Also, Yara really Flor-ed (heehee) that Amazon assassin which did get me to laugh.

Looks like the plot is a standard “prophecy, she could doom us or save us” but the world itself is interesting a new to me so I don’t mind the cliché.

And also, so, many, Amazon, cameos. Hippolytia, Artemis (who can fly now?) Cassie, yay!

And Yara meets her first god Eros. So we’ll see how that plays out.

Over all, it was entertaining. So a thumbs up from me.
    So.....what is her powerset and what items/equipment does she have?

I really like that we are moving forward with the Amazon's route trying to get to Yara, especially knowing that Cassie is involved in all this is great. Honestly all we need is Donna Troy and this would be perfect.

But yeah I'm glad we aren't taking too long to get into Yara's powers, abilites, weaponry, and meeting the gods. Can't wait for next issue and whatever is going on with Eros.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    So.....what is her powerset and what items/equipment does she have?
    Yara? Power-wise she’s shown super-strength and water manipulation this issue. She doesn’t really know she has powers and was surprised when she kicked a hole in the plane. She also has the golden bolas which is what activated her powers.

I’m guessing next issue is gonna be Eros telling her that she’s a prophesy Amazon and we’ll discover more then.

Not to mention her durability feat from last issue with the exploding car, so generic strength and durability with water manipulation and bolas.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Oh wow! Is that Kadesha Banu?
    Also im giggling at Faruka trying to order Artemis around and trying to pretend that she is granting a request and isn't just being outright ignored

The exchange between Cassie and Hippolyta was also a delight. XD

Overall not alot happened with Yara herself this issue. Just that preview bit we already saw plus her getting on a plane and being attacked by a pair of Amazons.
    Amazons who were also in Rio Di Janeiro chatting with Cassie and Artemis at the same time they were attacking Yara......

Oh and Eros tried arrow-ing Yara to make her fall head over heels for him and it backfired

Overall id say it was alot of set up still. With more moving of chess pieces to have characters converge and enter the story organically. Has Yara coming into some super strength which is new for her, im expecting we will see more abilities pop up later

Ah, no Bat-characters this time and Artemis was present. That's the good stuff.

By the way, I'm assuming Hippolyta has her own machinations here considering that she's no longer Queen of the amazons and isn't exactly consulting Nubia on sending Cassie in after Yara when Nubia sent her own people. Or am I reading too much into that?
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    By the way, I'm assuming Hippolyta has her own machinations here considering that she's no longer Queen of the amazons and isn't exactly consulting Nubia on sending Cassie in after Yara when Nubia sent her own people. Or am I reading too much into that?
    Hippolyta told Nubia about Yara in Infinite Frontier #0, so I think Hippolyta is just sending Cassie in as backup for Nubia.

Hippolyta told Nubia about Yara in Infinite Frontier #0, so I think Hippolyta is just sending Cassie in as backup for Nubia.
    I get that but something about the way she said it seemed weird, like she knows Nubia sent people but she wants to send her own agent feels weird you know? Like maybe Hippolyta and Nubia are not on the same page.

Again though I'm just wildly speculating and could be reading too deep. Personally I'm just glad to see Cassie at all after Young Justice and DCeased.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Oh wow! Is that Kadesha Banu?
    Also im giggling at Faruka trying to order Artemis around and trying to pretend that she is granting a request and isn't just being outright ignored

The exchange between Cassie and Hippolyta was also a delight. XD
    When Joelle Jones finishes her run on Wonder Girl, can she please do a run called Wonder Women, or Sensations Comics but have it alternate between characters like Detective Comics.

She writes everyone with so much attitude, it's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Overall not alot happened with Yara herself this issue. Just that preview bit we already saw plus her getting on a plane and being attacked by a pair of Amazons.
    Amazons who were also in Rio Di Janeiro chatting with Cassie and Artemis at the same time they were attacking Yara......

Oh and Eros tried arrow-ing Yara to make her fall head over heels for him and it backfired

Overall id say it was alot of set up still. With more moving of chess pieces to have characters converge and enter the story organically. Has Yara coming into some super strength which is new for her, im expecting we will see more abilities pop up later
    I'm guessing the build-up is leading to Cassie and Artemis helping Yara along with the Brazilian Amazon assassins' next issue. Speaking of Amazon assassins', they survived falling out off a plane... good on them.

-

Edit: Does anyone know who the giant snake at the end of the issue is?
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-06-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Now I'm just waiting for Donna to show up...

Incredible Member

The water manipulation seems cool and a neat differentiation, plus the bolas.

Everyone has a hard on for poor homegirl, meanwhile she's still in the blue! So we have Cassie representing Hippolyta's interests (saving the girl by hiding her away), the Brazilian Amazons that want her to leave Brazil and not come back, and Artemis there because she wants to be but also Queen Faruka of the Bana indicated she could be executed to prevent calamity. Quite a range of approaches we have there, and there's still Themysciran Amazons and Bana assassins on their way, too, right?

Wish Jones could do all the pages but I guess Melo ain't bad. At least all the women look visually different and that's kind of a rarity in most comics.

I liked this issue, but the first one was better. The fact that we already have a fill-in artist in the second issue doesn't bold well for the art of this book going forward. I wish it was all Joelle art, but i understand that she has to write and draw, so i didn't mind much. Especially since they brought in Adriana Melo to draw the other pages and it was cool to see her drawing Cassie again after that Wonder Girl one shot years ago.

Looks like some people here were right about João, he might devolve into her love interest in the future.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Edit: Does anyone know who the giant snake at the end of the issue is?
    Boitatá

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boitat%C3%A1

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Looks like some people here were right about João, he might devolve into her love interest in the future.
    I would prefer Eros, like a love interest