Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default X-Men Film(s) Reboot Ideas

Here is mine:

X-Men: First Genesis

(Adapting the first few years of X-Men and part of Giant-Size X-Men #1)

In the grips of Krakoa, a living island that has gained sentience due to atomic bomb testing, the five original X-Men - Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, and Beast - battle for their lives while recalling their early years as a team.

(This film, which would start in medias res, would be an adaptation of both the first few years of the X-Men comics and the flashback in Giant-Size X-Men #1. How the team arrived at Krakoa Island, along with their origins, early history, and battles with previous enemies - e.g., Magneto, Juggernaut, the Blob, etc. - would be captured in flashbacks. The film would end on a cliffhanger, with Cyclops escaping Krakoa and a hint at the recruitment of the newer X-Men - Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Warpath, Banshee, and Gunfire - and would lead up to the core story in Giant-Size X-Men #1. I think this is a great way to cover the mythos of the original five while immediately connecting them with members who came later.)

This film would be set in the 70s, with flashbacks to the 60s.

Solo Films

A handful of solo films could be introduced after the above film, including films centered on Wolverine, Storm, and Nightcrawler, and would be closely based on their origins as told in the 1970s comics.

X-Men: Second Genesis

(Adapting Giant-Size X-Men #1)

Professor X has recruited a new and eclectic team to help save the original members of the X-Men from a sentient island. As they battle the deadly island Krakoa, we learn about their origins and idiosyncrasies while they struggle to get to know and grow to trust one another as a team.

(The bulk of Giant-Size X-Men #1, which is a perfect story for an adaptation, would be covered here. It would be an easy way to properly introduce characters that have not already appeared in solo films [see above], instead of reducing them to quick, often inaccurate, cameos. Also, I think it is essential that they not modernize anything - the costumes, the timeframes, etc. I say, go retro and keep all of the costumes as accurate as possible [think of how brilliantly they did this with Watchmen]. Integral to the success of these reboots will be being able to recognize and refer to these characters’ iterations in comics from years - even decades - past. Their ability to remain young will be, in part, attributed to Krakoa, and also adapted from Jonathan Hickman’s work.)

This film would be set in the 70s.

Other Storylines

After the second film, they can either jump off into other storylines they have already attempted, such as the Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of the Future Past, or a number of others they have not attempted, but remaining much more faithful to the comics. They could also do more solo films, introducing characters like Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, etc., remaining very faithful to their origins in the comics.

OR, they could jump right into:

X-Men: Third Genesis

(Adapting House of X and Powers of X)

Mutants from all over the world accept Professor Charles Xaviers’ invitation to a new life and a new home on the island of KRAKOA.

They should definitely use Krakoa as the through-line connecting all the X-Men films. Also, it is in the HoX and PoX films that they can go to town introducing as many characters in as many cameos and substantial roles as they’d like.

What Jonathan Hickman has recently done with the X-Men, incorporating Krakoa and making it their current home-base, is brilliant because Krakoa is what led to the introduction of some of the team’s most iconic members outside of the original five. “X-Men: Third Genesis” - of course, these aren’t meant to be official titles - would be an adaptation of Hickman’s House of X and Powers of X and would be set in the present. Either new actors could be hired to play the aforementioned members a bit older or, taking a page from Hickman’s work and reworking it a bit, the same actors could be used, and we would learn that all of the team members exposed to Krakoa have had their aging slowed down or been reborn, as Hickman does it. This would explain how they’ve remained pretty much as they were in the 1970s.

Adapting Hickman’s reboot is a perfect way of tying X-Men’s vast mythos together and would make an excellent film or series of films in which other members like Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, Jubilee, Emma Frost - and the list goes on and on - could be introduced.

What I envision for this reboot could be so epic and thrilling while remaining very faithful to the comic books.

What are your ideas?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Mutants started appearing after the snap in Infinity War. All that cosmic energy kickstarted the latent mutant gene in people on a much bigger scale. Before a mutant would show up every once in a while, but was usually kept quite by the worlds govts or SHIELD. People like Xavier have been keeping a low profile all these years waiting for a time like this when mutants start appearing more and more frequently. Since the snap he has been quietly gathering young mutants and training them in the use of their powers for the last 5 years. The 2nd snap releasing even more energy accelerates the mutant gene even more so mutants are becoming frequent enough that their existence can't be kept hidden anymore. A dangerous insane mutant named Proteus goes on a rampage screaming about mutant rights and how mutants are here to take over which scares the living shit out of normal humans. Xaviers X-Men are forced to go public to stop the mad Proteus exposing that there are more mutants in hiding which furthers creates fear in the general public. The mid credit would show Magneto watching all the news reports and then turning to his Acolytes and telling them the war has begun. The end credit would show a man stalking something through the snow and end with a close up of his claws poping out.

The original team:

Cyclops
    Marvel Girl
    Beast
    Polaris (daughter of Magneto but a secret only Xavier knows)
    Iceman
    Colossus

(I know the first thing your going to say "but they are all white blah blah blah)". I have no problem race swapping a few characters like Cyclops, Polaris, or Iceman. I know some will say just use the already POC characters, but in all honestly most of their powers are shit on screen. Storms powers suck in live action.)
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 07-06-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    (I know the first thing your going to say "but they are all white blah blah blah)". I have no problem race swapping a few characters like Cyclops, Polaris, or Iceman. I know some will say just use the already POC characters, but in all honestly most of their powers are shit on screen. Storms powers suck in live action.)
    In my view, the first installment, which would include the original five as depicted in the original comics, would also touch upon the racial equality and growing Civil Rights of the time, i.e., the 1960s. This one reason I want them to adapt Giant-Size X-Men #1 for the second installment: As in the original comic, the new recruits would include mutants from across the world - Storm (African), Nightcrawler (German), Colossus (Russian), Sunspot (Japanese), Warpath (Native American), Banshee (Irish), and, of course, Wolverine (Canadian).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The absolute last thing I want is them to set things in the past again. I hated it in the Fox movies and I never want to see it in the Marvel movies. It just serves no purpose other than to make things convuleted.

The absolute last thing I want is them to set things in the past again. I hated it in the Fox movies and I never want to see it in the Marvel movies. It just serves no purpose other than to make things convuleted.
    Do you really think that? See, I don't feel they've ever set things in the past in an effective or even faithful and accurate manner. Granted, it would be tricky to do it right and could become convoluted if not handled with care. Still, I really do feel they should touch upon the X-Men's milestones as accurately as possible while forging a path leading toward who the team and the mutants as a whole are today. I believe this is why the Avengers films and all of the solo films preceding and interwoven throughout them were so successful: They didn't try to modernize and change the core characters and concepts to fit the fads and fashions of the day as much as pay true tribute and homage to the comics while aiming to please diehard comic fans, first and foremost.

I greatly enjoyed First Class and Days of Future Past, but they were made with the same spirit as Captain America: The First Avenger, and making sense with prior canon. Dark Phoenix was made the way it was partly because of the constraints of the setting. There's not much reason to do the same with the X-Men for a reboot -- and it has to be said that every X-writer (including Hickman) that tries to add or retcon or update a past Claremont story has tended to write it as if those stories were more contemporary, e.g. the existence of cell phones.

I'm up for keeping the same ideas and story beats the same but adapted for modern times. Making the previous X-movies as period pieces had rhyme and reason behind that choice, but there's no constraints this time around.

Mutants started appearing after the snap in Infinity War. All that cosmic energy kickstarted the latent mutant gene in people on a much bigger scale. Before a mutant would show up every once in a while, but was usually kept quite by the worlds govts or SHIELD. People like Xavier have been keeping a low profile all these years waiting for a time like this when mutants start appearing more and more frequently. Since the snap he has been quietly gathering young mutants and training them in the use of their powers for the last 5 years. The 2nd snap releasing even more energy accelerates the mutant gene even more so mutants are becoming frequent enough that their existence can't be kept hidden anymore. A dangerous insane mutant named Proteus goes on a rampage screaming about mutant rights and how mutants are here to take over which scares the living shit out of normal humans. Xaviers X-Men are forced to go public to stop the mad Proteus exposing that there are more mutants in hiding which furthers creates fear in the general public. The mid credit would show Magneto watching all the news reports and then turning to his Acolytes and telling them the war has begun. The end credit would show a man stalking something through the snow and end with a close up of his claws poping out.

The original team:

Cyclops
    Marvel Girl
    Beast
    Polaris (daughter of Magneto but a secret only Xavier knows)
    Iceman
    Colossus

I agree with Mutants in small numbers always being here but being kept secret by governments or Xavier himself in recent history. I think to separate themselves from the Fox Xmen. The first film should be an adventure to the Savage land. Now if they haven't don't any seeding in other films and need to do a true Origin story then it becomes more difficult but I'd prefer they set up the idea of the Xmen prior. You can have Sinister and Sauron as the villians. The mutates being an enslaved class of people can be used to help show Xaviers fears of what Humankind will do to Mutants. But mostly it's a bright colorful location where then Xmens bright costumes will fit right it. Sinister can be a a Thanos type bad guy for Muatnt side of the MCU. Magento can be a foil to Xavier but I don't want him to be the villain in a Xmen film to like the third one. He can play a role as a side character,maybe even have him come to the Xmen and Mutates aid in the Savage land.

Astonishing Member

Man I don't know how you write them into the MCU right now. But I am interested in seeing them try.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'd just play it up as natural evolution in the present day. Sure, by making it completely contemporary and a new development in the MCU you lose Magneto's ties to the Holocaust but as powerful a moment as that is having that very specific moment in time tied to his origin has become something of a albatross around writers necks as they have to create more and more convoluted story reasons for why Magneto looks like a man in his prime despite his advanced age.

If it wasn't for the fact that he already has a role in the MCU I'd be for casting Idris Elba as Magneto and transposing the Holocaust themes to Apartheid in South Africa, sure that too would eventually become dated but that's someone else's problem.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 07-07-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

All I really definitely want is for them to adopt the following system - set up a decent amount of mutants ahead of time that all appears in the initial movie. Then establish the concept of the Blue and Gold teams, Cyclops leading one and Storm the other. Then shift between doing a Blue team film one year, then a Gold team film the next year, then on a third year doing either a team up film or one or both teams getting involved with groups outside the X-Men for movies like AVX or Secret Wars.

Meanwhile have a team like New Mutants or Excalibur or X-Force on Disney Plus and a handful of solo mutant projects.