Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

Default Back in Black Hate?

Soooo, I've recently read all the issues for this and I simply don't understand the hate. Why is this hated sooooo much? It really wasn't that bad......

BANNED

Is it really that hated? It was a pretty mediocre period of ASM, off the back of the Other and half a year of Civil War tie-ins, we got another tie-in to SM3. Now Spider-Man is ANNNNNNNGRRRRRY and grrrr he's totally gonna kill Kingpin and he's a tough guy and nothing actually happens for five issues.

And then OMD happens.

The only hate I know about it was that he was in the black suit but it wasn't the symbiote which some people wanted.

Personally, I really enjoyed Back in Black. I think the people that didn't like it were turned off by the way Peter was written, though.

I like Back in Black and could appreciate a darker story in Spidey tale every now and then. My biggest problem with it was how Pete was not acting consistent from book to book. In ASM he was all serious no jokes, but in the satellite titles Spidey still acted the same as before Back in Black. And that includes new avengers at the time which was still using pete as the funny guy

Honestly, I hate the name, the idea, the gimmick, the shameless nonsensical movie tie-in. Peter shouldn't have a black costume since he freaking burned it after the first Venom arc. The whole idea of Peter being all like 'grr I'm so mad I just have to wear black suit to show my emotionssssss' is just so weak and so lame. This is Spider-Man, not Short Circuit 2.

Actually, I haven't heard of much hate directed at that story at all. It's usually remembered pretty fondly, even by those who disliked the era. I think it's a actually a highlight of the era, personally.

Wasnt aware of Hate for the story. Many just labeled it average and moved on. I think it would have been better if MJ had been shot. OMD may have worked a bit better with the death of his wife as an outcome.

I enjoyed it for the fact that the Spider-man vs Kingpin fight came off as how I always wanted a fight between them to come out. I do agree with Shaggy that Mj being shot would have been better. If they didn't want to make Peter a widower just have it where doing OMD would save MJ life, but the price Peter would pay would be their marriage and use Loki instead of Mephisto. That way tie into Loki owing Spider-man and the fact plus Loki is a trickster and dealing with him should always have a price.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, *******

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

Back in Black was great. Its not typically a hated story, like Sins Past or OMD. For me, the story held promise that you could tell alot of neat stories with an unmasked Spider-Man. A promise that was never fulfilled.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Totally agreed with the Loki idea. BTW, did Peter EVER cash in that favor (I've said before that Loki's favor might be a plausible means of reversing OMD ... but Quesada will probably ruin it down the line by having Spider-Man ask Loki for a chili dog)?

I thought "Back in Black" was okay, despite being a shameless attempt to cash in on the movie. Probably the best things about it were the aforementioned Kingpin beatdown and the Eddie Brock story over in "Sensational."
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Is it really that hated? It was a pretty mediocre period of ASM, off the back of the Other and half a year of Civil War tie-ins, we got another tie-in to SM3. Now Spider-Man is ANNNNNNNGRRRRRY and grrrr he's totally gonna kill Kingpin and he's a tough guy and nothing actually happens for five issues.

And then OMD happens.
    This cracks me up so much. [Emperor Palpatine's Voice] "Your cynicism and hatred make you stronga."

I guess there wasn't much weight to it, what with Spidey's hate being a bit forced and OMD following it. That cover with Spidey in the black costume is boss, though.

The Ultimate Spider-Man MilesMorales's Avatar

Probably because it leads right into OMD. I like it, though. I consider a lot of the later JMS-era stuff experimental alternate universe stuff (which it basically is now) so I'm more open-minded when reading it.

BANNED

I thought it was pretty great too. RAS' tie-in stories in Sensational Spider-man were all great as well.