Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That's exactly the problem? The idea that another nation (one that most nations don't trust or even like) can just drop down portals anywhere, anytime, with no oversight whatsoever is a horrifying national security nightmare. Hell, in Excalibur, the British government recently decided they WON'T allow them to have the gates, torched them all and told them they had to use the normal travel methods going forward. In the real world those would be seen as serious assaults on the sovereignty of other nations.
    I’m missing something here though. Where was it said most nations don’t trust or like Krakoa? Or am I reading that wrong? Because there sure were a lot of human guests having a grand ole’ time at the Gala.

And the British removed the gates because the cult now in charge wants mutants, “witchbreed” as they call them, dead. It wasn’t a political/diplomatic row that led to that. They killed Pete Wisdom shortly after.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I’m missing something here though. Where was it said most nations don’t trust or like Krakoa? Or am I reading that wrong? Because there sure were a lot of human guests having a grand ole’ time at the Gala.

And the British removed the gates because the cult now in charge wants mutants, “witchbreed” as they call them, dead. It wasn’t a political/diplomatic row that led to that. They killed Pete Wisdom shortly after.
    I'm still stuck on are we really suppose to believe this is a big deal in the Mu when there was a cloud killing humans and mutants no one cared about. It's like are we really still going in circles over this, mutants have killed less humans than that terrigen storyline so it's not that far out of the realm of belief that countries would accept something in return rather than give away the lives of citizens for nothing. Also the registration act, where were the protestors? why didn't those teams have mutants on them so that cap and co could help with the mutant image, one team with Alex basically saying "let us fit in" doesn't matter. I'm not saying there may not be any validity to what they are saying but until those things are addressed in the marvel universe, on panel, and we see the repercussions i just mentally can't see the difference. Or at least i can't equate mutants bargaining to being wrong when the other stuff was actually theft and murder. The x-men bought their land and built a treehouse, they even went through legal channels. I'm not sure but can anyone off the street go stay in avenger mansion or visit their grounds unattended and without consequence. It's not knocking what people are saying but you can't erase logic to make logic. I mean even sentry tower was mentioned but all of a sudden NOW buying land is wrong and placing gates in places you have treaties is evil, cause...
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-11-2021 at 05:50 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Krakoa would and should be viewed as potentially hostile and scary by the rest of the world, with horrors like Mr. Sinister, Exodus, Magneto, Shaw, Mystique, and formerly Apocalypse actually being on its ruling council! Even those sympathetic to the mutant cause should be given pause by that. I know I would be worried if I actually lived in-universe. Them being on the council and then the addition millions of barbaric and hardened Arakkii mutants should be terrifying to everyone on Earth(including lots of mutants). I mean they even had Magneto of all people worried and wanting to move the Arakkii mutants to Mars to maintain stability. How would that not worrying and concerning for regular people and the heroes? Once again, huge suspension of disbelief is required for all this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Krakoa would and should be viewed as potentially hostile and scary by the rest of the world, with horrors like Mr. Sinister, Exodus, Magneto, Shaw, Mystique, and formerly Apocalypse actually being on its ruling council! Even those sympathetic to the mutant cause should be given pause by that. I know I would be worried if I actually lived in-universe. Them being on the council and then the addition millions of barbaric and hardened Arakkii mutants should be terrifying to everyone on Earth(including lots of mutants). I mean they even had Magneto of all people worried and wanting to move the Arakkii mutants to Mars to maintain stability. How would that not worrying and concerning for regular people and the heroes? Once again, huge suspension of disbelief is required for all this to work.
    The X-Men have been heroes for a long time and knowing they also are on the council, as well as their founder, is how I interpret humanity having some peace of mind. Just different interpretations. The bulk of mutants have no interest in war with humans and some of the villains have shown their willingness to change (Pyro, Black Tom). But you’re right in that suspension of disbelief is needed - the humans of the Marvel Universe are used to alien attacks every few months and a rampaging Hulk every now and then. I’m surprised they haven’t all had heart attacks by now. Somehow we can roll with all of that but Krakoa is a bridge too far?

But you’re right in that suspension of disbelief is needed - the humans of the Marvel Universe are used to alien attacks every few months and a rampaging Hulk every now and then. I’m surprised they haven’t all had heart attacks by now. Somehow we can roll with all of that but Krakoa is a bridge too far?
    Too true! It just gets hard sometimes and the constant almost world ending events not having much effect on the regular people of the Marvel Earth actually bothers me as well. Oh, well. Just giving my opinion on the matter.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I remember a time, not too long ago, when one's Suspension of Disbelief was the vehicle via which comic book fantasies were loved and enjoyed, now it's just a terminal hindrance to...well...enjoyment.

And since when has it become a quantifiable factor? Terraforming Mars in a couple of hours is acceptable but gateway portals in countries that have accepted Krakoan sovereignty is somehow beyond ridiculous?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Not very surprising when people most likely aren't reading the story or certain questions imo wouldn't exist. Like people talk about the terraforming and are like "well how many xmen are scientist?" but the very first scene was forge in planet size talking to magneto about exactly what he would need to do to make it happen. But i guess Forge isn't a scientist anymore. Or that somehow Storm wouldn't be able to sense that things were awry with a planet she helped to develop. Or that there is a problem with where the treehouse is despite mutants paying a billion more than the inhumans or sentry. Honestly sometimes the questions take more suspension of belief than what is in the comics.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Not very surprising when people most likely aren't reading the story or certain questions imo wouldn't exist. Like people talk about the terraforming and are like "well how many xmen are scientist?" but the very first scene was forge in planet size talking to magneto about exactly what he would need to do to make it happen. But i guess Forge isn't a scientist anymore. Or that somehow Storm wouldn't be able to sense that things were awry with a planet she helped to develop. Or that there is a problem with where the treehouse is despite mutants paying a billion more than the inhumans or sentry. Honestly sometimes the questions take more suspension of belief than what is in the comics.
    Correct is right.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I remember a time, not too long ago, when one's Suspension of Disbelief was the vehicle via which comic book fantasies were loved and enjoyed, now it's just a terminal hindrance to...well...enjoyment.

And since when has it become a quantifiable factor? Terraforming Mars in a couple of hours is acceptable but gateway portals in countries that have accepted Krakoan sovereignty is somehow beyond ridiculous?
    I could not agree more with both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Some of us, myself included, are pretty consistent about personal thresholds regarding suspension of disbelief. I didn't like either of these examples. It might not be quantifiable for the entire fandom, but there can be some consensus among some fans. You are more than welcome to enjoy the stories, the writing is enough for you, but we are just as welcome in sharing why the writing in certain cases doesn't work for us.

Maybe our problem regarding suspension of disbelief isn't about the mechanical aspects but the narrative aspects.

Y'all can agree with each other all day, that's fine, but there's no need to act like those of us who aren't enjoying everything being released are reading the books wrong or anything like that, or whatever might be implied. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouths, if I misunderstood, please correct me.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Only read it to find out how Polaris got used

Meh... way too generic.

Cool art, and seems like some elaborate/detailed setup for plots though

Also dislike Rogue going back to this costume as well

Overall seems pretty generic and dumbed-down content compared with the broader Krakoa innovations
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Some of us, myself included, are pretty consistent about personal thresholds regarding suspension of disbelief. I didn't like either of these examples. It might not be quantifiable for the entire fandom, but there can be some consensus among some fans. You are more than welcome to enjoy the stories, the writing is enough for you, but we are just as welcome in sharing why the writing in certain cases doesn't work for us.

Maybe our problem regarding suspension of disbelief isn't about the mechanical aspects but the narrative aspects.

Y'all can agree with each other all day, that's fine, but there's no need to act like those of us who aren't enjoying everything being released are reading the books wrong or anything like that, or whatever might be implied. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouths, if I misunderstood, please correct me.
    It's odd to me you point out us agreeing with each other for opinions but i've seen you and a few people basically piggy backing and hi-fiving with not a word said so in that sense it is a minimization of our individual opinions. Because i had the same thought about you and a few posters as well.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-11-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I don’t have a problem with discussion and differing opinions. But gates aren’t even featured in this issue and the thread is about the issue.

The treehouse is so cool and I wanna see more it.

It's odd to me you point out us agreeing with each other for opinions but i've seen you and a few people basically piggy backing and hi-fiving with not a word said so in that sense it is a minimization of our individual opinions. Because i had the same thought about you and a few posters as well.
    That's fair, I'll try to be a little more thorough about agreements and disagreements.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I don’t have a problem with discussion and differing opinions. But gates aren’t even featured in this issue and the thread is about the issue.

The treehouse is so cool and I wanna see more it.
    True enough, although the Gates are tangential to the Treehouse as a plot device.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.