Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Enjoyed the issue, but Cyclops throwaway joke about Wanda took me out of it.

It is funny (to the reader) but seems out of character, both for Cyclops and the lack of response from Lorna.

Regardless of if their feelings towards Wanda are negative/positive (I actually don't remember whether Lorna and Wanda ever had a sibling relationship), the fact that there is the 'Trial of Magneto' seems to be something Cyclops wouldn't joke about (since he respects Magneto) to Magneto's daughter Lorna (who would be distressed that her father is on trial).

Normally Duggan is really good about winking at the reader without taking them out of the flow of the story, but in this case it fell too meta.
    Magneto isnt on trial yet. He hasnt even been arrested. Any sensitivity that one should have towards Lorna in regards to him isnt something I feel has been established quite yet

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Also, New York again? Why not Denver, Dallas or Portland. New York is so played out.

It’s where the heroes are, where the media spotlight shines brightest, and where the action happens the most. Not too many attacks on Portland, or too many supervillains running around. The X-Men need to be seen. And they need to be where it is, as well as rub elbows with who they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    It’s where the heroes are, where the media spotlight shines brightest, and where the action happens the most. Not too many attacks on Portland, or too many supervillains running around. The X-Men need to be seen. And they need to be where it is, as well as rub elbows with who they need to.
    The Krakoan gates however make all this irrelevant

Astonishing Member

Forgot to mention it earlier. Once again one has to love how to alien super villains the whole humans or mutants thing seems entirely unimportant compared to "Grrrrr Earthlings occupying pristine real estate!".

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Or two wolverines, which annoys the hell out of me.Logan's and Laura's powers are identical,no need for the super names to be.
    I think the problem is that when it comes to signature names the readers (or general fans of the franchise) stick to the name that the character was either introduced with or which has remained the most popular, which can include the civilian names too.

See Jean Grey, who barely anyone but dedicated comic readers will ever refer to as Marvel Girl, since her civilian name is the one that actualy stuck in pop culture regarding the character. Same with Kitty Pryde, who can be glad if anyone calls her Shadowcat and expect outsiders to know who is meant (to say nothing of her other code names).

So if they don't try to sell her under the Wolverine name, they would have to give her a name nobody of the fans will use anyway, as they will just default to X-23, since that's her signature name.

And while we are at Laura, we allready see something similar with Gabby, where many refuse to call her anything but Honey Badger as many found it more fitting and memorable than the vague Scout. So Marvel can call her Scout all they want, but fandom has allready seemingly settled with either Gabby or Honey Badger.

To say nothing of Daken who will likely never have an animal themed name stick successfully if they tried.

It feels so weird for Scott to be so nice to the Avengers when a little over a decade ago he was telling them to "Get the hell off MY island."

Incredible Member

Larraz is a god, and credit where due, Duggan actually wrote a very good issue #1 here. I would say this is Duggan's best issue in comics since Dead Eyes maybe or perhaps Punisher Kill Krew (if you don't mind the goofiness). It's certainly the best work he's done for the X-line. I can't say that I trust him to not mess it up down the line, but I'm very happy and satisfied with this one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I liked this issue. Plot-wise it didn't really blow me away or anything, but it had flashy action and amazing art.

If there was one main criticism I had for the writing, was maybe introducing too many villains in one issue. I kinda wish he'd stuck to setting up one and introducing the others at the end of the first arc or later in on in the series.
    I'm completely opposite of you here. I loved the lack of decompression and the fast pace. It reminded me somewhat of classic comics, which is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It took a minute to wrap my head around "Game World" but my Suspension of Disbelief was fully up to the task. It's a fresh take on an old concept...Earth: A prize worthy of acquisition. But now that the Mutants' actions on Mars have drawn greater attention towards it...Captain America was right to be worried they might have made a bigger mess of things. (I do wonder if SWORD or SII will get involved)
    Cap is basically never right when it comes to mutants, and I struggle to see the argument that he is right here.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I don't think we need to Too Much expanding on Kevin honestly his backstory pretty much tells us all we need to know about his personality he was a child prodigy look at constant Praises showered on him at an early age and that really tends to breed a narcissistic streak. Having his life's goal you served by a bunch of mutants in a matter of hours was probably a pretty big psychological blow to his immature mind and like a child he threw a temper tantrum. Just on the scale of a genius level intellect.
    Well, I'd love to know why his parents betrayed him like that, lol. Look, I've praised the compression of the issue above, but that aspect could've used another line to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    The Elon Musk villain is good, because Elon Musk is trash and the character's heel-turn is believable. The giant robot seemed totally unnecessary (even for a superhero comic), but I guess it was different? Sunfire seemed pretty tacked-on.
    Is there any reason to believe that Duggan is referencing Musk here, or are you forcing your politics/ideology onto a comic book?

It is funny (to the reader) but seems out of character, both for Cyclops and the lack of response from Lorna.

Regardless of if their feelings towards Wanda are negative/positive (I actually don't remember whether Lorna and Wanda ever had a sibling relationship), the fact that there is the 'Trial of Magneto' seems to be something Cyclops wouldn't joke about (since he respects Magneto) to Magneto's daughter Lorna (who would be distressed that her father is on trial).

Normally Duggan is really good about winking at the reader without taking them out of the flow of the story, but in this case it fell too meta.
    For me, it worked. Cyclops is very capable of dry wit, and I think that's what he was going for with Lorna, to break the ice on that situation. Duggan chose to write Lorna not getting mad at the joke and screaming at Cyke about it, and I choose to find that believable. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by hairys; 07-07-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Naw Cyclops does not like Wanda. I can totally see him making that joke. And Lorna doesn't have much of a relationship to her either so I doubt she cared.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Naw Cyclops does not like Wanda. I can totally see him making that joke. And Lorna doesn't have much of a relationship to her either so I doubt she cared.
    There actually was a story years ago where Wanda tried to approach Lorna and hang out for a day. I don't think anything came of it.

I had very low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Most of the flaws in it really were the same flaws most team books have; not enough interaction between the characters in the book. It was highlighted a bit more just because of how busy the story was. The evil tech guy, setting up the base, the interview, the fight, and the space stuff. A LOT happened.

The good: the fight was actually pretty cool and the X bot was the kind of dumb fun that works well in comics. Having pretty much every New York hero show up at the end was great too. I was worried in the solicits because it would frankly be bizarre is none of the other dozen+ heroes in New York did anything about the Kaiju-sized monster; and having them show up like that just as the fight finished was the best solution (I chuckled as the casserole line too).

The bad: Laura is not Logan with a vagina. Stop writing her like that. Not a good start for Laura fans. And Cyclops' 'joke' about Wanda almost ruined the whole issue for me. You're really going to snark about a high-profile murder happening on your soil under your watch at your diplomatic event? Plus it highlighted that this is taking place right after the Gala, which means Laura is off doing the superhero thing right after her sisters' corpse turned up and before we find out if they're even going to bring her back.

The questionable: I didn't think Mars had a local population? I tried looking that up when the terraforming happened, and mostly found lots of contradictory stories from the old sci-fi one shot days that I assumed weren't cannon. Does anyone know anything for certain? Because if they just colonized and radically transformed a planet that already had people living on it, that's a pretty different story.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I wasn't blown away but it was a definitely a good issue. I really liked the vibes.

My only nitpick is that I wish the team used there own powers withOUT the robot to get that win.

But I understand they needed to do something flashy and OOTB for the first issue.

Pepe and Marte just elevated his words greatly.

And the comment about sidekicks from Cyclops made me think they should mentor some kids. Wink Wink Wind Dancer Let me dream.

People starting to finally wonder how mutants are coming back is something I wanted explored more.

I think when humans find out about the resurrection protocols they will definitely attack that location on Krakoa.

The new villains were interesting but still blank slates to me. We shall see what shenanigans they will conjure for the X-Men.

Can't wait to read more Rogue and Polaris.

Also I like the Fantastic Four and Avengers cameo and you look really closely on that spread you see Spider-Man with his commentary.

Please tell me if I'm wrong because it made me chuckle.
    yeah spiderman showed up thats kinda nice they included him with the other hero groups
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I really enjoyed this issue. This being paired with the Krakoan era feels like a mesh between Morrison's NXM and Whedon's AXM, and I love that.

I had my doubts about this X-team line up but, I liked all the interactions and loved Synch.

Great stuff imo

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post

Is there any reason to believe that Duggan is referencing Musk here, or are you forcing your politics/ideology onto a comic book?
    Well until Duggan himself states anything we will never be 100%. Still his projects with space and mars where a not so subtle hint. Heck Kevin H was an ancestor of Tesla. For me there is no uncertainty.

You know one thing that really stands out to me is how the team felt like one unit the whole time. From the moment Cyclops went through the gate without communicators in some way the team was never apart. Jean talking to rogue mentally to the transition from lorna to scott talking to the entire team still communicating showing up to aid Rogue with Lorna leading the charge. Tot them ultimately settling on an idea that physically brought them together in the robot. It made me think of how it was stated each time the five brings someone back it gets easier and they get more connected.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Well until Duggan himself states anything we will never be 100%. Still his projects with space and mars where a not so subtle hint. Heck Kevin H was an ancestor of Tesla. For me there is no uncertainty.
    Thanks. I went back and read the issue and saw that his ancestor was Tesla, which I blew through and missed the first time around, probably cuz I was orgasming to the Larraz art. A more careful read this time around, and I would agree with you guys that this new villain is very likely a reference to Elon Musk.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I think editorial chose most of them.

Polaris by fans. Rogue by Duggan. Cyclops/Jean/a Wolverine seem like they'd be editorial choices though...

I feel Synch might be a Duggan choice... Not sure about Sunfire...
    I feel like whenever Sunfire's on a team, it's almost always the writer's choice, rather than fan demand or editorial.

what does jean think about scott and lorna seeing each other
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate