Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default X-men #1 reviews (spoilers)

Here we go... Great issue I think! There's lots of great character moments (except Sunfire really) and the team works really well together. The new villains seem interesting and the new HQ is very creative. It's also great to see the X-Men seen as heroes.

Kevin Heng, a child prodigy, created an IPO around 13 but his parents took his money. Not long after, the whole family disappeared. Years later, he showed up again with a bigger ego and started another IPO. One in which Mars would be terraformed by him. But as we know, the X-Men beat him to it ruining his work. Now instead of changing Mars to accept human bodies, he wants human bodies to naturally be able to withstand Mars. He starts with himself.

Meanwhile, the new X-Men team are joined by Polaris. Cyclops shows her and a reporter their new HQ. A giant Krakoan treehouse in NYC. The treehouse looks beautiful and is very nature friendly. It’s an eyesore without being an eyesore. The reporter is impressed but he starts asking questions about how Jumbo the designer used to be dead. Cyclops ends the meeting.

Synch is inside working with Forge in setting up the treehouse. It’s revealed Emma, Doug, Tempo and Forge were instrumental in building the treehouse. They are interrupted when Jean senses danger.

Rogue is first dispatched and manages to slow down the giant objects crash into earth. The object is revealed to be some giant alien robot form, and smashes Rogue off into the distance. The rest of the team arrives and Polaris takes it on, but her powers have no effect on the monster. Rogue saves Polaris from the monster when this happens and the team regroups. The monster is also telepath resistant, so the team has a meeting (in a giant metal ball room that Polaris creates) and Synch has a plan since he still has Forge’s power.

The plan is to build a giant X-robot that kinda looks like a relative of Nanny. Once in the Power Rangers robot, the whole team takes on the monster and when it’s finally injured, Wolverine leaps out to finish the kill. Just as all the other Marvel teams show up, the new XMen team is hailed as heroes by everyone. The X-robot is "retired" as a lighthouse until they need it again.

It’s then revealed in deep space, that the Mind Reaper (the monster) was sent from some gambling world filled with weird looking aliens or something. There, an alien plant monster uses the skeleton of an astronaut to claim that they want Earth but not its humans. So they must exterminated humans while leaving Earth unharmed.

Back to Kevin Heng. He has been doing experiments on humans in order to make them more powerful. They all die but he is making progress. He also wonders why so many dead mutants are now alive again.

Also, an add is seen for an alien lawyer representing Mars natives displaced by the mutants.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 07-07-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

A much needed breath of fresh air from the last two years. Loved it. This is the kinda **** I hoped would come from the new era from the jump. Also Ben Urich, who's always nice to have around.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 07-07-2021 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    A much needed breath of fresh air from the last two years. Loved it. This is the kinda **** I hoped would come from the new era from the jump. Also Ben Urich, who's always nice to have around.
    what exactly felt "fresh" about it in your eyes? Just curious.

I like that we're getting new villains to replace the old ones who became "good" as citizens of Krakoa. Feels kind of like the Claremont era when you never knew whether the next story would be Arcade or Moses Magnum or some random space trash.

The fungus guy living inside the skeleton of an astronaut feels suitably daft, like something from the pages of 2000 AD.

I had so much fun reading this!
    I love the Treehouse and what Seneca Gardens represents. How it was made, all the features to explore. People visiting the park, Scott taking pictures with them.

They created a mutant Voltron, y'all!

Synch was amazing and even Sunfire seemed to enjoy hero'ing.
    Everyone sounded great and played a part in the takedown of the monster. So many new villains in the works!

I legit cackled loudly

And this absolutely touched my heart, the kind words from the Avengers and FF, Laura standing in full glory. This is what I want for my X-Men!!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It was not ninety percent exposition. Obviously there was still a good amount with the Treehouse, but Hickmans run is a lot of exposition, and then data pages containing bonus exposition, for two years.

It was also the thing I wanted from the start of the run: the X-Men no longer being the hated and feared, them being seen as another team on par with the Avengers and FF

I loved how excited Sunfire was at the giant robot idea. Guess he's a mecha fan.

Mighty Member

And the team dynamics were really good too. I love the team dynamics in his Uncanny Avengers run, but the team dynamics in Marauders aren't that great. So good to see they are great here.

Isn't ben the same reporter from when they did the repainting of xmen when they were at the skating ring for christmas. He feels like such a part of the mythos when he shows up but you never really think about him, well at least i don't. This was fun, and brilliant and colorful and greatly drawn. Very very happy with this.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I liked this issue. Plot-wise it didn't really blow me away or anything, but it had flashy action and amazing art.

If there was one main criticism I had for the writing, was maybe introducing too many villains in one issue. I kinda wish he'd stuck to setting up one and introducing the others at the end of the first arc or later in on in the series. That said, considering this team has a limited lifespan, Duggan may be doing a bit of rushing here. Though I do find it amusing the villain that I think has the most potential really only has a cameo. Excited to see the High Evolutionary relatively soon going by solicits; from claiming to genetically modify the twins to his entire theme of forcibly evolving species, I think he actually makes a really good adversary conceptually. Plus he did have a run in with Rogue in particular not so long ago.

Anyway excited to see what is coming next.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

This Black Caribbean Gay Man absolutely loved it all!

Kelvin's introduction was interesting...though I wanted to slap him hard and tell him to stop blaming the mutants for his near-sightedness.

The RPs are close to being found out. And the new rogue is cold (LOVE when baddies are really bad)...can't wait for that mayhem to start.

It took a minute to wrap my head around "Game World" but my Suspension of Disbelief was fully up to the task. It's a fresh take on an old concept...Earth: A prize worthy of acquisition. But now that the Mutants' actions on Mars have drawn greater attention towards it...Captain America was right to be worried they might have made a bigger mess of things. (I do wonder if SWORD or SII will get involved)

The Writing. The Introduction of the individual XM members. The Team Dynamic. The Treehouse. The Fighting/Action. The Art. The Colours...Everything was on point. It didn't do anything extra to "shake my world" the way PS:XM and SWORD 06 did, but...it stuck the first-issue landing, beauty-fully and perfectly and satisfactorily.

10/10 and 5 stars.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Kelvin's introduction was interesting...though I wanted to slap him hard and tell him to stop blaming the mutants for his near-sightedness.

The RPs are close to being found out. And the new rogue is cold (LOVE when baddies are really bad)...can't wait for that mayhem to start.

It took a minute to wrap my head around "Game World" but my Suspension of Disbelief was fully up to the task. It's a fresh take on an old concept...Earth: A prize worthy of acquisition. But now that the Mutants' actions on Mars have drawn greater attention towards it...Captain America was right to be worried they might have made a bigger mess of things. (I do wonder if SWORD or SII will get involved)

The Writing. The Introduction of the individual XM members. The Team Dynamic. The Treehouse. The Fighting/Action. The Art. The Colours...Everything was on point. It didn't do anything extra to "shake my world" the way PS:XM and SWORD 06 did, but...it stuck the first-issue landing, beauty-fully and perfectly and satisfactorily.

10/10 and 5 stars.
    I can't believe i got so excited over captions. lol. i was like "yeeeeeees! captions!!!" lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

I only read this because it's the only book Laura is currently showing up in, and so far the writing has not exactly filled me with confidence. All it needed was a couple "Bubs" and I wouldn't have been able to tell her from Logan.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Why do you feel the need to tell specifically you are black, Caribbean, and gay? Should it really matter to us that you are that? All of us are equal.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I only read this because it's the only book Laura is currently showing up in, and so far the writing has not exactly filled me with confidence. All it needed was a couple "Bubs" and I wouldn't have been able to tell her from Logan.
    If she didn't get tons of character development by issue 1 then it's over for her.
    That said, considering this team has a limited lifespan, Duggan may be doing a bit of rushing here.
    What does this mean? What is his limited lifespan? Did they say he'll only be doing this for a year/x amount of issues? But yeah, he should've mainly focused on Kevin. Have the reveal of the Mind Reaper come in a following issue.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 07-07-2021 at 07:10 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    If she didn't get tons of character development by issue 1 then it's over for her.
    It's not about character development. It's about being written IN-CHARACTER.