Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Even if it wasn't entirely Duggan's decision as to who would be on the team, it still reflects badly on the people in charge to have the X-men team (which is supposed to be a stand in for minorities) be predominantly white and then taking a name and history belonging to African Americans and making it about mutants/themselves. I don't think anyone is calling Duggan a racist. And the problem we're talking about is sadly common in the X books.

In defense of Laura, she does have a personality. Just not when she's written as Logan but as a girl.
    totally agree with you!

But I hope for the best and that Duggan will make this book at least a lot about Synch's point of view and that Synch will not have the same fate as Bishop and Storm in his Marauders run...

Anyhow, I think it is a great idea to make the history of Central Park more aware to a large audience. But I just think it is ALWAYS extremely unfortunate to use mainly white straight cis-gendered mutants in X-Men comics because mutants will always be a "metaphor" for minorities.

So why is it so difficult to have trans* representation in an X-book in 2021 is absolutely beyond me? Why are the teams so often predominantly white is beyond me?

Maybe Duggan is a good person but HE IS also COMPLICIT in the process of making certain minorities invisible in his line of work.
    Last edited by Exodus; 07-08-2021 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Firstly, I apologize for accusing you of wanting to direct your anger at Duggan and for labeling those intentions toxic. That was wrong of me. Secondly, I think he meant well when he named the HQ park Seneca Gardens and was probably attempting to bring awareness to the history of Seneca Village. Thirdly, I think if he could have added another member to the team, he would have, if only to include Tempo, which is a favorite character of his.
    thank you for that. And I'm sorry if I come across too "harsh" in my messages. English is not my first language.

And I absolutely agree with you though that when we speak about social justice issues (also in the context of representation), it can become quickly problematic to concentrate on individuals and not see the larger structural component of racism, transphobia, heterosexism, you name it.
    Last edited by Exodus; 07-08-2021 at 01:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Wait, why is the Fact Channel anti-mutant now?

Hasn’t Jameson traditionally been one of the few prominent baseline supporters of mutant rights?

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Wait, why is the Fact Channel anti-mutant now?

Hasn’t Jameson traditionally been one of the few prominent baseline supporters of mutant rights?
    He has never been one am open ally. Predominantly anti mask and anti vigilante but I imagine Krakoa and Mars has him soured.

Then he had one instance in PADs X-factor standing up to a crowd of mutant bigots But not an outright ally
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 07-08-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Eh im black was born in the tristate, grew up there etc i don't think the lack of diversity ln the book is that terrible i always thought laura was half japanese and shiro is chinese so thats two asian characters but yes more would be nice. But back to the seneca gardens before this i didnt even know so i think that is worse so i think the biggest travesty is i had learn about it from a comic. That shows the state of what is taught in the u.s school system. The onus is ln everybody. Perhaps critical race theory is a start.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-08-2021 at 03:13 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Eh im black was born in the tristate, grew up there etc i don't think the lack of diversity ln the book is that terrible i always thought laura was half japanese and shiro is chinese so thats two asian characters but yes more would be nice. But back to the seneca gardens before this i didnt even know so i think that is worse so i think the biggest travesty is i had learn about it from a comic. That shows the state of what is taught in the u.s school system. The onus is ln everybody. Perhaps critical race theory is a start.
    Shiro is japanese

I don't think the ethnicity of a forum poster should matter, but for the sake of some, I'm an American of Mexican extraction.

Now that that's out of the way: I really couldn't care less about the diversity of the cast. I'm not trying to be shocking or anything like that, I honestly don't think that should be such a large concern when crafting a story unless diversity itself is part of the narrative. I know that a plurality of fans, maybe a majority on these forums want representation, but I think that attitude makes it difficult for writers to do their work – is anything ever enough? How large most the team be? How many of each race must be represented? Should the team have only had more black characters? No Hispanic or Chinese or Middle-Eastern characters? Cut out some of the white characters to make room, even if the narrative set some of them to specifically be on the team?

These questions are rhetorical, I know no one is making these arguments necessarily, but we shouldn't get so preoccupied with this that we let it ruin the story. And no, I don't think making these kinds of arguments or defending the line up makes someone insensitive or a jerk.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Shiro is japanese
    Thanks for the info i stand corrected. Shrio is japanese.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I don't think the ethnicity of a forum poster should matter, but for the sake of some, I'm an American of Mexican extraction.

Now that that's out of the way: I really couldn't care less about the diversity of the cast. I'm not trying to be shocking or anything like that, I honestly don't think that should be such a large concern when crafting a story unless diversity itself is part of the narrative. I know that a plurality of fans, maybe a majority on these forums want representation, but I think that attitude makes it difficult for writers to do their work – is anything ever enough? How large most the team be? How many of each race must be represented? Should the team have only had more black characters? No Hispanic or Chinese or Middle-Eastern characters? Cut out some of the white characters to make room, even if the narrative set some of them to specifically be on the team?

These questions are rhetorical, I know no one is making these arguments necessarily, but we shouldn't get so preoccupied with this that we let it ruin the story. And no, I don't think making these kinds of arguments or defending the line up makes someone insensitive or a jerk.
    It matters in a case where people are talking about history in a country that glorifies white history and ignores black history. Why do i know more about colombus discovering something that was already here than land being stolen from fellow americans that just happen to be black. Context matters.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Incredible Member

A few thoughts on the conversation happening in the last few pages of this thread:

• It doesn't make sense to use the demographic statistics of the USA as a comparison. Krakoa, and by extension the X-men, represent mutants worldwide. Any mutant around the world can join Krakoa, so it makes more sense to use the demographics of the world as a comparison. (If you care about that kind of thing in the first place).
    • I'm VERY glad to see pushback against white women supposedly making a team diverse. It doesn't. Maybe Bill Burr's iconic SNL monologue is starting to make a difference in people remembering historically which side of the oppressor/oppressed fence white women belong on. A link to Burr's famous monologue: https://youtu.be/O1xgXJ5_Q34?t=195
    • This is especially true in the context of Central Park and Seneca Village. Let's not forget the white woman who became famous because she saw a black man in Central Park and called the cops on him.
    • With all that said, we have to remember that for 40+ years now (ever since Claremont took over), the X-Men are about predominantly white people who are beautiful and live in luxury standing in for oppressed minorities. That *is* the X-Men. That's the brand. I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize it or try to change it -- by all means do so -- but after 40+ years, it's like complaining that when you order a Coke, you get soda instead of a berry smoothie. It's the brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Also, out of curiosity and for argument’s sake, whom is to blame for the lack of diversity on this team?
    It’s honestly very hard to pinpoint actual blame because we don’t know how much of this team was picked by Duggan and how much of it was picked by editorial. My gut reaction when Duggan said that he wanted Tempo was to blame him for not including a queer or another BIPOC character in the confirmed roster but that really might not be his fault. When it comes to fans… it’s hard to blame them too. Polaris was the most popular character and if comics (and more specifically the X-office) had spent more time giving POC the spotlight then maybe they would be more popular.

Who was the other memorialized person shown? Looked like Magik?

Who was the person to the right panel of Jumbo?
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Astonishing Member

One can’t help but notice that Feilong’s modifications rather resemble Karima’s “organic” components in Life 9

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    A few thoughts on the conversation happening in the last few pages of this thread:

• It doesn't make sense to use the demographic statistics of the USA as a comparison. Krakoa, and by extension the X-men, represent mutants worldwide. Any mutant around the world can join Krakoa, so it makes more sense to use the demographics of the world as a comparison. (If you care about that kind of thing in the first place).
    • I'm VERY glad to see pushback against white women supposedly making a team diverse. It doesn't. Maybe Bill Burr's iconic SNL monologue is starting to make a difference in people remembering historically which side of the oppressor/oppressed fence white women belong on. A link to Burr's famous monologue: https://youtu.be/O1xgXJ5_Q34?t=195
    • This is especially true in the context of Central Park and Seneca Village. Let's not forget the white woman who became famous because she saw a black man in Central Park and called the cops on him.
    • With all that said, we have to remember that for 40+ years now (ever since Claremont took over), the X-Men are about predominantly white people who are beautiful and live in luxury standing in for oppressed minorities. That *is* the X-Men. That's the brand. I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize it or try to change it -- by all means do so -- but after 40+ years, it's like complaining that when you order a Coke, you get soda instead of a berry smoothie. It's the brand!
    • You have a point here.
    • This seems a bit dismissive and, quite frankly, regressive. Women of all races are still subjugated, beaten, maimed, and killed all over the world - far more so than men. I wouldn't be "VERY glad to see pushback" against women "making a team diverse" in the least. Then again, I also wouldn't presume to think I know or should determine where whole groups of women of any race "belong."
    • One incident, though there have been many more, does not offer overarching context to the sweeping generalizations you have presented.
    • It is a "brand," as you say, and one that has displayed its share of diversity throughout the years, if only infrequently. The brand certainly needs to continue with some of the breakthroughs it made years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Who was the other memorialized person shown? Looked like Magik?
    Yeah, I wonder if it was supposed to be the other Magik, Amanda, Kurt sister.
    I don't think we've seen her since her sacrifice in Nightcrawler series.