Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    I am a little bit worried about Sunfire. He spoke two sentences and they were like „meeee buuuuurn everything“ and nobody listened to him. At least he is in a team with Rogue, and I liked them in Uncanny Avengers.
    I agree. Duggan needs to step up his game re: the characterization of Sunfire and Laura, especially. I think he could, based on my issue 1 theory stated above, but we'll see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Also, out of curiosity and for argument’s sake, whom is to blame for the lack of diversity on this team?
    You're just being a troll and a bad one at that. Don't rise to bait y'all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Probably because upper management at Marvel would worry about sales. The "majority minority" team books, whether Avengers or X-Men, have typically not sold well. (That doesn't necessarily mean Marvel shouldn't keep trying, though. I'm just answering the question posed).

While I'm here, let's deal with two other complaints I'm seeing (that don't have to do with diversity):

(1) The relative lack of characterization in this issue. I think going for more characterization should take place in future issues, but we have to remember that this is an issue 1. In comics, very often you only get one issue to make an impression, and I would say going with a fast-paced, action-packed issue that lets the artist flourish will attract the greatest number of readers for the title going forward. I say this as a big Sunfire fan who hopes to have him developed thoroughly in the series before its done.
    I am pretty bewildered how this review thread devolved into complaints of racism/lack of diversity. It seems like that discussion should have occurred with the issue where they officially announced the team, and yet from what I remember, that was mainly about Laura's memories from the Vault.

This first issue introduced a villain, did some worldbuilding in New York, showed off a base, have a classic superhero teamwork fight, introduce the villain behind things, and tease some type of cliffhanger/hook.

As a first issue, I am not going to complain about why the diversity/minority characters have no spotlight/character development, as nobody gets any meaningful character development/interaction (Synch actually does get to shine in the fight scene). Now, as time goes on, and the silent minority truly become token, then that is when the calls for concern should arise.

The only places where you could have gotten some more characterization would have been to swap out Cyclops/Polaris in the double page spread on introducing the Treehouse, or the Cyclops/Ben Ulrich pages in New York.

You could have had Synch help Laura with the move in to the Tree House, or have Robbie Robertson chat with Rogue in New York.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I am pretty bewildered how this review thread devolved into complaints of racism/lack of diversity. It seems like that discussion should have occurred with the issue where they officially announced the team, and yet from what I remember, that was mainly about Laura's memories from the Vault.

This first issue introduced a villain, did some worldbuilding in New York, showed off a base, have a classic superhero teamwork fight, introduce the villain behind things, and tease some type of cliffhanger/hook.

As a first issue, I am not going to complain about why the diversity/minority characters have no spotlight/character development, as nobody gets any meaningful character development/interaction (Synch actually does get to shine in the fight scene). Now, as time goes on, and the silent minority truly become token, then that is when the calls for concern should arise.

The only places where you could have gotten some more characterization would have been to swap out Cyclops/Polaris in the double page spread on introducing the Treehouse, or the Cyclops/Ben Ulrich pages in New York.

You could have had Synch help Laura with the move in to the Tree House, or have Robbie Robertson chat with Rogue in New York.
    I can empathize with your belief that Arbor View thread should be about the actual issue at hand. However conversations about representation are never out of place no matter the time or the place. And your post kind of reads as " people should have complained about it earlier if it was that big of a deal" it is that big of a deal but people are also complaining about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    You're just being a troll and a bad one at that. Don't rise to bait y'all.
    How am I being a troll? Is it because you consider the question rhetorical or simply unanswerable in an efficient manner?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    How am I being a troll? Is it because you consider the question rhetorical or simply unanswerable in an efficient manner?
    I'll tell you exactly why. You're getting defensive over a question about representation on a title that bases its entire existence on minority oppression a title that is also predominantly written by white males.

And then, trying to frame it in a "I'm just asking questions" tone which you've done multiple times in the name of "sparking discussion". You are being inflammatory maybe you don't realize it but I'm just letting you know.

Apparently we all whine (myself included) when we want to see characters who are representative of ourselves in these books. Funny how that works…

Not that I see anything wrong with it, mind you. That would be highly hypocritical.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Apparently we all whine (myself included) when we want to see characters who are representative of ourselves in these books. Funny how that works…

Not that I see anything wrong with it, mind you. That would be highly hypocritical.
    Big difference, you want to see geriatric Cable in a lot of titles we want to see more people that look like us represented in a book based on minorities.

I'll tell you exactly why. You're getting defensive over a question about representation on a title that bases its entire existence on minority oppression a title that is also predominantly written by white males.

And then, trying to frame it in a "I'm just asking questions" tone which you've done multiple times in the name of "sparking discussion". You are being inflammatory maybe you don't realize it but I'm just letting you know.
    I am getting defensive? Okay.

Also, I am not being inflammatory as much as cautioning people not to accuse creators of being racist or purposefully insensitive without having any solid proof that that is the case. Furthermore, I long ago stopped engaging in the debate. If I was being inflammatory, as you say, I would have continued right along with it.
    Last edited by Mercury; 07-08-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Did you all realise that the first human and the doctor who experiments on the Latvarian are NOT the same person?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

The idea that the mutants caused the crisis in the first place and therefore should get less credit for just cleaning up their own mess, i.e. "Captain America was right." This seems to be a bad read, period.
    Is that like, your opinion?. The least that they can do, is clean up their own mess.
    Remember, humans (in the form of that new IPO-having scientific genius villain) were going to terraform Mars anyway; it's just that the mutants beat them to it.
    According to the self proclaimed gods, it would've taken generations for humans to achieve this. Are you saying the gods were wrong?.
    So you can't blame mutants for terraforming Mars.
    They wanted this, they wanted to play god, they wanted to flex their power over humanity and they wanted Mars to be the capital of the Sol system, as if anyone outside of the Sol system cares about Mars. Mars is not for everyone, therefore not everyone shares the blame. It was claimed by mutants for mutants only, therefore they get the credit, blame, and responsibility as regents of Sol.
    Furthermore, that alien gambling world doesn't exactly seem like they're inhabited by good people;
    Irrelevent.
    it seems pretty likely they would have eventually found some beef with the people of Earth regardless of the terraforming of Mars.
    Yeah sure, maybe, what if, except that in this case, it was because of Mars, so they are responsible for putting Earth on their radar. They wanted the attention, and now they got it.
    Finally, those gambliens want to eradicate "Earthlings", not just mutants. They don't really differentiate between humans and mutants as they think we're all pests that need to be killed.
    Which is why Mars, named the capitol of Sol, is laughable, because they are going to skip Mars and go straight to Earth. You know, where Earthlings come from.
    I think that's one of the themes Duggan is trying to build -- can humans and mutants work together against an alien force that doesn't differentiate between them and wants to kill both? (Not exactly an original idea, granted).
    That would require the gods to come down from Mount Olympus (its for mutants only), and stop making unilateral decisions, that end with humanity having to face the consequences.

Ultimate Member

I

I mean, the sales numbers are available. It's not like Marvel is faking them.

But I would agree that the Big 2 companies might be too beholden to sales numbers. Batman does sell, so DC is publishing like 50 books with Batman, lol. That's overboard and not great strategy long-term.
    Those are NOT sell numbers but books sold to stores.

And we have seen books no matter how BAD they were kept high order numbers because of WHO was on the cover. Same books that some stores can't get rid of even with 25 cent, dollar and buy 10 get 20 free sales (I have been to those).

While with minority lead books-some are NOT welcomed at some stores not because they would not sell but because they starred POC.

POC lead books seem to be the books where every gymnastic routine will be used to NOT buy those books. Those same books that if you toss them into a trade can sell and at times can beat every Batman or X-Men title.

Now the diversity of the team falls at the FEET of the FANS.

Far too many times we have seen books lose readers over POC just BEING in the books and yes that includes BATMAN. yet look at Boom and other companies they are NOT having these issues.

A few of the hottest indy books (that folks actually read) star black females. Yet here is X-Men with the most over used black female in Storm-who can't SNIFF a solo or mini. Almost every book with a POC NOT named Static at the big two is met with pushback. Why???

When Marvel and DC don't do POC lead books that OPENS the door for Boom and others. What they don't do SOMEONE else will.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Target View Post
    According to the self proclaimed gods, it would've taken generations for humans to achieve this. Are you saying the gods were wrong?.
    It would indeed take generations for humans to do what the mutants did. Feilong turned a desert green, he didn't create an atmosphere or a whole ecosystem. In fact, "Changing his body for Mars was far easier than changing Mars for his body."

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Target View Post
    That would require the gods to come down from Mount Olympus (its for mutants only), and stop making unilateral decisions, that end with humanity having to face the consequences.
    They did, check out Seneca Gardens in NYC. You can take the B or C train and get off at 86th Street. Grab yourself a pretzel on the way.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those are NOT sell numbers but books sold to stores.

And we have seen books no matter how BAD they were kept high order numbers because of WHO was on the cover. Same books that some stores can't get rid of even with 25 cent, dollar and buy 10 get 20 free sales (I have been to those).

While with minority lead books-some are NOT welcomed at some stores not because they would not sell but because they starred POC.

POC lead books seem to be the books where every gymnastic routine will be used to NOT buy those books. Those same books that if you toss them into a trade can sell and at times can beat every Batman or X-Men title.

Now the diversity of the team falls at the FEET of the FANS.

Far too many times we have seen books lose readers over POC just BEING in the books and yes that includes BATMAN. yet look at Boom and other companies they are NOT having these issues.

A few of the hottest indy books (that folks actually read) star black females. Yet here is X-Men with the most over used black female in Storm-who can't SNIFF a solo or mini. Almost every book with a POC NOT named Static at the big two is met with pushback. Why???

When Marvel and DC don't do POC lead books that OPENS the door for Boom and others. What they don't do SOMEONE else will.

Indie readers are probably more intellectual and thus, less bigoted. There are a lot of racists, homophobes, misogynists, etc. in the general public and that's who the Big 2 cater to. Plenty of comments on these boards casually drip with all of those, and a lot are not called out. Look at all of the crying about Laura using Wolverine as a code-name instead of X-23.

Big difference, you want to see geriatric Cable in a lot of titles we want to see more people that look like us represented in a book based on minorities.
    I’m a big white guy with graying hair. Ha. We’re not so different, buddy. We’re all human beings, comic fans and enjoy seeing someone that looks like us in the pages. It’s all good. No need to get defensive about it. I totally get it.

I’m also a veteran. But not a cyborg or time traveler unfortunately.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 07-08-2021 at 03:28 PM.