Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    If it would draw on the energy of all the mutants on it, that would be an easy explanation (given the X-gene can empower anything up to living suns), but if Krakoa tech is infact unconnected to the main island anymore, where would they draw the energy for their functions?

Just some thoughts.
    I would actually love a Krakoa Handbook with details on how certain things work. The Greenspace facility had human scientists working on the tech too like that Krakoa-jet they showed in X-Force #2 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'm just a bit confused. On one hand I'm seeing people say that humans and nations shouldn't have a problem with the treehouse and gates because the X-men are heroes and are popular. But on the other hand, Karakoas.....everything, really, is justified because humans collectively despise mutantkind and are trying to genocide them every week. So which is it?. I say most nations don't trust them because most nations we've seen don't trust them, particularly the US. The main nation we've seen that enthusiastically worked with them on-panel was Terra Verde, which didn't turn out too well.

Just to be clear, I had similar complaints about the stupid terrigan cloud back when that was a thing. Everyone in power was just bizarrely OK with it, or at least not treating it with nearly as much concern as they should have.
    We know it's not all humans that are evil and I like seeing mutants and humans connecting. But when you consider the amount of damage done to mutants over the years (mass graves, torture, camps) it's easy for me to see why some mutants view them all as the enemy.
    Even beyond the official team being made, the "X-Men" are the face of Krakoa and I have to imagine that puts many humans at ease.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yupp.
    I do think a lot of readers forget that Krakoa and Arakko are breathing, living sentient "beings"...in a symbiotic existence with the mutants who live on them. Once you can wrap your SoD around that fact everything else is kindergarten arithmetic.

That said...I personally never needed to know and understand how the nuts and bolts, cogs and wheels, work. Not unless that knowledge is significant and relevant to the story.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-12-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I would say presenting themselves as heroes to all humanity and living amongst humanity...should speak far more loudly and eloquently to the general people as to their intent than any other tactic. And yes...clearly not everyone will be, is supposed to be accepting.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I would say presenting themselves as heroes to all humanity and living amongst humanity...should speak far more loudly and eloquently to the general people as to their intent than any other tactic. And yes...clearly not everyone will be, is supposed to be accepting.
    Agreed. Which is why I'm so excited about this book.

Astonishing Member

Heck I mean look at Feilong he's got some serious internalized Trauma from his parents screwing him over when he was 13 years old instead of going to therapy for it he decided to blame a group of minorities for "stealing" his dream then proceeded to modify his body and experiment on other humans.

I have absolutely no sympathy for him...and I hope the X-Men beat him to pulp for his misdirected angst and stupidity.

That's what I want from this book..."You start some, there'll be some. The end."
    All the other books let their antagonists "attack and retreat" without doing a damn thing to actually stop them once and for all...looking at you X-Force...What I loved about this issue was they dealt with and stopped the visible threat directly. And once they realise who's sending these machines after the Earth they should take the fight directly to Game World.

I want decisive beat downs, dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't think trust has anything to do with it. If i ran a country and health-cost is one of the biggest expenses to families as well as budgets i now have more money to spend on other things because i have these cure all drugs. Violence will also most likely go down since people don't have mental health issues so now you can refocus other budgets as well. Countries stand to save from billions to trillions just for taking. I mean according to the cms.gov the u.s alone spent 3.8 trillion in healthcare in 2019. I just can't see a person sitting in power willing to pass up saving 15.2 trillion dollars in one U.S presidental term. With that kind of money i can increase the military budget greatly and have those gates secured, locked down, and friendly gate customs there to check your bags. But most of these books now happen on krakoa so we won't see the heavily guarded gates as much but i don't see what stops the books on the other side from showing that the gates are indeed guarded even if it's a caption or just passing by when Spidey is swinging through town in his own book, or Cap in his, or iron man. If the people want to see guarded gates they should mainly see them in those books where the gates would actually be in the background. It would also potentially add more to that scenery for them.

As for coexistence Xmen has started that. Coexistence does not mean you can exist any and every i exist. I don't want people in my house, my backyard, my personal space, i just can't go to oprah island so it's okay the mutants have a mutant island that does not want humans on it. It is the islands' choice and when exceptions are needed the island will say yes or no. Should the mutant krakoa not have it's will obeyed? Would that not be wrong? So in order to respect the law of Respect this Sacred land the xmen spent a billion dollars for land in NYC and it has been stated anyone is welcome to visit the park. Perhaps more mutants will want to live in the tree house but that is definitely the x-men coexisting. Is it really such a big deal a living island doesn't want humans on it, why should it not have any rights?
    Trust has EVERYTHING to do with it. Realistically no nation on Earth should have even accepted the medicine in the first place. A mystery cure-all made from a mystery island by a group of despised and mistrusted people, that no one is allowed to see how its made or test what its made of? Laughable. Just look how hard its been to convince people to get the COVID shot. Not to mention that mutants have been using the medicine as an excuse to do pretty much anything they want everywhere they want. And they aren't giving it away to most people. In the US, its being sold for exorbitant costs. The medicine has quickly become to same as any of Reed/Peter/Bruce/Tony's world-changing inventions: doesn't actually change anything. People still get sick and hospitals still exist in every other book. So its only important occasionally, and only in X books.

The silliness of their base being in Central Park is one thing. I know its been done before in X books, but the city of New York selling a chunk of their most famous public park for any private group will never not be funny to me. The real issue isn't that they're living there. The real issue is that its basically a military base! Its the base camp of a paramilitary force chosen by the government of Krakoa to do vague vigilante work in the US. that's the part that causes issues with the weird political thriller aspect of the run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Trust has EVERYTHING to do with it. Realistically no nation on Earth should have even accepted the medicine in the first place. A mystery cure-all made from a mystery island by a group of despised and mistrusted people, that no one is allowed to see how its made or test what its made of? Laughable. Just look how hard its been to convince people to get the COVID shot. Not to mention that mutants have been using the medicine as an excuse to do pretty much anything they want everywhere they want. And they aren't giving it away to most people. In the US, its being sold for exorbitant costs. The medicine has quickly become to same as any of Reed/Peter/Bruce/Tony's world-changing inventions: doesn't actually change anything. People still get sick and hospitals still exist in every other book. So its only important occasionally, and only in X books.

The silliness of their base being in Central Park is one thing. I know its been done before in X books, but the city of New York selling a chunk of their most famous public park for any private group will never not be funny to me. The real issue isn't that they're living there. The real issue is that its basically a military base! Its the base camp of a paramilitary force chosen by the government of Krakoa to do vague vigilante work in the US. that's the part that causes issues with the weird political thriller aspect of the run.
    Wait how is New York getting a billion dollars for a street block unrealistic. They stole it from a community of blaxk folks in the first place most definitely for a steal and now have another superhero team operating in their background in one of the most hilariously notorious places to get attacked in the Marvel Universe at no extra cost to the city. I imagine they're quite a few politicians laughing Straight To The Bank over what they perceive as a victory over a bunch of muties.

As for the medicine not changing anything with that's just a straight-up bald-faced lie we literally seen it changed the lives of everyday humans in the Xbooks. Are there people who are going to extort the medicine for money? Of course people are greedy however that doesn't negate the mere existence of the medicine and the good that it does for humans. There are a lot more humans walking around alive and well with cured chronic illnesses because of the miracle drug than there were before Krakoa popped up.
    Last edited by loke13; 07-12-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It is a bit of a leap that the idea that "the world distrusts and hates mutants/Krakoa" and "they instantly accept this mystery drug that they not-suspiciously need to get hooked on in order to work"

If the people want to see guarded gates they should mainly see them in those books where the gates would actually be in the background. It would also potentially add more to that scenery for them.
    The reason the gates are guarded is because the mutants were running around naked, and the people (humans), wanted the goverment to do something about it. Its an open border, the security is not there to impeded the mutants, its there to stop the onlookers. This is an Xmen storyline thread, so to put it outside of the Xmen books, makes no sense. That audience is not expected to pickup on the thread because they may not be reading Xmen books. If this is not shown in the Xmen books, then the Xmen audience will be left with no context, like, why are some gates guarded while others not.
    excbr1b.jpgexcbr2.jpg
    As for coexistence Xmen has started that.
    They are not there to coexist, they are there to represent the interest of Krakoa. They are not the super heroes from New York, they are the super heroes from Krakoa. We will see if that changes.
    Coexistence does not mean you can exist any and every i exist. I don't want people in my house, my backyard, my personal space, i just can't go to oprah island so it's okay the mutants have a mutant island that does not want humans on it.
    This is the same thing that white nationalists say, and the reason they say it, is because they are racist.
    It is the islands' choice and when exceptions are needed the island will say yes or no. Should the mutant krakoa not have it's will obeyed?
    Uuhh, its islands' choice, not the Xmen /s. So, who decided to turn Mars into an "ethnoplanet"?, the Xmen. Because this is what they want, an ethnostate, the same thing that white nationalists want. So whether it was the islands' choice or the Xmen, would not makes a difference.
    Last edited by Blind Target; 07-12-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Spectacular Member

I don't get why people are so salty about Mars. They're not displacing a native population, they're not subjugating anyone, all they've done is found some unpopulated land and moved there. How is it any different at all to Attilan moving to the moon or the Eternals moving to Titan or Reed Richards helping Planet X move their whole population to another planet in FF#7 or probably a zillion other examples I can't be bothered looking up? Why is everyone clutching their pearls over Mars when nobody batted an eyelid about Orchis claiming Mercury?

Hell, if all the bigoted douchebags on Earth right now wanted to pack up and move to another planet I would happily help them pack their bags lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It is a bit of a leap that the idea that "the world distrusts and hates mutants/Krakoa" and "they instantly accept this mystery drug that they not-suspiciously need to get hooked on in order to work"
    How is it a leap? This happens and has been happening in the real world for centuries greed will always trump personal prejudice. And even then not every nation in the world is on board they just needed enough Nations to be recognized and invited into the United Nations) some have even pulled out of the trade deal. Honestly I think some of you guys are letting your distrust of Krakoa blind you to how absolutely corrupt world governments actually are. Why wouldn't world governments NOT take Krakoa's medicine, re market it for 10 times what it's actually worth and then sell it to its own citizens in order to line their own pockets even more especially if all Krakoa is asking for is recognition on the world stage?

Government sell expensive and bogus medicine to their own citizens all the time in order to get richer than they were last year and I'm supposed to believe they wouldn't do the same thing with Krakoa just because they what hate mutants?

I have absolutely no sympathy for him...and I hope the X-Men beat him to pulp for his misdirected angst and stupidity.

That's what I want from this book..."You start some, there'll be some. The end."
    All the other books let their antagonists "attack and retreat" without doing a damn thing to actually stop them once and for all...looking at you X-Force...What I loved about this issue was they dealt with and stopped the visible threat directly. And once they realise who's sending these machines after the Earth they should take the fight directly to Game World.

I want decisive beat downs, dammit!
    Was Beast killing/mind controlling an entire nation not considered a decisive victory?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    How is it a leap? This happens and has been happening in the real world for centuries greed will always trump personal prejudice. And even then not every nation in the world is on board they just needed enough Nations to be recognized and invited into the United Nations) some have even pulled out of the trade deal. Honestly I think some of you guys are letting your distrust of Krakoa blind you to how absolutely corrupt world governments actually are. Why wouldn't world governments NOT take Krakoa's medicine, re market it for 10 times what it's actually worth and then sell it to its own citizens in order to line their own pockets even more especially if all Krakoa is asking for is recognition on the world stage?

Government sell expensive and bogus medicine to their own citizens all the time in order to get richer than they were last year and I'm supposed to believe they wouldn't do the same thing with Krakoa just because they what hate mutants?
    Yup. Such corruption was literally laid out in HOX #1 when the "ambassadors" meeting with Magneto had their own personal agendas. The Chinese head of state science pretending to be an ambassador, the French ambassador with private-section pharmaceutical ties. They want profit first and foremost.
    And the medicines have been tested as mentioned in X-Men #4... "we've all had quite a few of our best scientists looking at them."
    They are viable and Dolores gives us the perfect example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Was Beast killing/mind controlling an entire nation not considered a decisive victory?
    LOL. Touche.
    Decisive...I suppose.
    A victory? Given Beast's current state of borderline megalomania...enh!