Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I had this on preorder and got it in my Comixology yesterday. I hadn't read it yet. Nice to see it was not awful and that there were very little spoilers through out the thread, lol.

BANNED

Haven't seen X-Men Megazord before. That was pretty fun and new.

Otherwise, besides the art, pretty standard issue.

Astonishing Member

the art was fantastic, but I didn't care much for the monster fight
    it looks like an action heavy book with not much text

Hmmm. Well this felt like a solid set up issue.

It maybe spent a bit too much time setting up all the upcoming plots for my taste and establishing the status quo and not enough time on character interactions. All very necessary stuff, but just less interesting to me. I was pretty disappointed in particular that Rogue didn't have many panels besides what we already saw in the previews. Sunfire got very little as well. I live for the fun family banter and soap opera moments. We definitely got some, but I wanted much more. I want to know more about why each of them is here. What they think and feel. But I suppose we'll get there eventually.

The action scenes were grand and solid. The giant robot mech/Voltron versus kaiju fight was definitely a fun and original idea ... for some reason it just didn't work for me much. I'm not even sure why tbh.

As villains go, these all seem like solid ones with logical reactions to Krakoa.

The art alone was beyond gorgeous of course. I'd expect no less from Larraz and company.

Definitely sticking with this, but it was a story I flipped through at 8 AM, shrugged and had no real trouble waiting to finish reading later at 5 PM. I'm mildly intrigued and so glad to see an X-Men team operating outside of Krakoa, but hopefully it gets more into the thoughts and feels of the characters for me next issue.

3/5. Not a bad first issue, but there a few things that keep it from being great.

Positives:
    The art is good, but I don't think any of us were surprised by that; the action was fun, I like giant robots; the "ad" at the end was a little chuckle-worthy; the new antagonist seems promising; Scott and Jean together was nice, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Negatives:
    I'm not sold on the treehouse; I'm sick of "data pages", they're expository pains; on that note, at the mention of "conservative talking heads", that just reminded me that I wish we could get that crud out of cape comics in general; that data page also felt like it was trying very hard to play on all concerns, trying to address Mars and HFG and the Treehouse (meh) and so on.

Well, Duggan has succeeded in getting me to come back for another issue at least.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Solid. 3/5.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    What you quoted was actually from me, not ChronoRogue.

That she was doing multiple things at once is a good point, lessens the feeling of it being off, but it still feels off to me given her classification.
    I'm not sure how in the hell I messed that up, but I'm sorry about that. And I totally get what you're saying. Not that you're complaining - a couple of the fans on Twitter are - but I, too, am tempted to nitpick and complain about how they are seemingly always undermining her capabilities, but then I just decide to focus on the positives.

Also, I just geeked out - though I wish he'd included this in a caption in the book - over what Duggan tweeted was his intended feat for Jean:

Everyone in NYC would be dead if not for Jean...
    https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/stat...63313902399491
    Last edited by Mercury; 07-07-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Who was the other memorialized person shown?

Who was the person to the right panel of Jumbo?
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Taking my time rereading this and am loving it now. Also, I took a break to do some research and found this out:

The name of the park - Seneca Gardens - surrounding the X-Men's Treehouse - their new aptly named headquarters - is not only an intended homage to Seneca Village, a 19th-century settlement that was populated mainly by African American landowners, who were forced to abandon the village to make way for the construction of Central Park, it also seems to be a nod to the city of Seneca Gardens. Most of present-day Seneca Gardens was once an area of land purchased by gardener Jacob Wetstein, who had been rumored to participate in the Underground Railroad. Additionally, nearly a century after Seneca Gardens was adequately established, the city of Louisville refused to annex the community due to it "cost[ing] more in services than [it] provided in revenue." Currently, Seneca Gardens is considered an enclave within Louisville. (Incidentally, a City Arborist, i.e., a tree surgeon, has been employed by the municipal government since 1990 to oversee the planting of and assist residents in obtaining trees.)

I find the history behind the name of the new HQ's surrounding park both fitting and incredibly moving.
    Last edited by Mercury; 07-07-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Taking my time rereading this and am loving it now. Also, I took a break to do some research and found this out:

The name of the park - Seneca Gardens - surrounding the X-Men's Treehouse - their new aptly named headquarters - is not only an intended homage to Seneca Village, a 19th-century settlement that was populated mainly by African American landowners, who were forced to abandon the village to make way for the construction of Central Park, it also seems to be a nod to the city of Seneca Gardens. Most of present-day Seneca Gardens was once an area of land purchased by gardener Jacob Wetstein, who had been rumored to participate in the Underground Railroad. Additionally, nearly a century after Seneca Gardens was adequately established, the city of Louisville refused to annex the community due to it "cost[ing] more in services than [it] provided in revenue." Currently, Seneca Gardens is considered an enclave within Louisville. (Incidentally, a City Arborist, i.e., a tree surgeon, has been employed by the municipal government since 1990 to oversee the planting of and assist residents in obtaining trees.)

I find the history behind the name of the new HQ's surrounding park both fitting and incredibly moving.
    kinda weird though how white the X-Men team is Duggan has brought together for his run......comparing it to Generation X back in the 90s...

Incredible Member

I LOVED this but (someone help out):

1. WHY are they acting like this is their first property in Central Park?
    2. WHY does Lorna needs help moving her bags that MUST have metal in them?
    3. WHY would anyone in 616 question people coming back to life?
    4. WHY respect Proudstar's sacrifice instead of resurrection?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    3/5. Not a bad first issue, but there a few things that keep it from being great.

Positives:
    The art is good, but I don't think any of us were surprised by that; the action was fun, I like giant robots; the "ad" at the end was a little chuckle-worthy; the new antagonist seems promising; Scott and Jean together was nice, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Negatives:
    I'm not sold on the treehouse; I'm sick of "data pages", they're expository pains; on that note, at the mention of "conservative talking heads", that just reminded me that I wish we could get that crud out of cape comics in general; that data page also felt like it was trying very hard to play on all concerns, trying to address Mars and HFG and the Treehouse (meh) and so on.

Well, Duggan has succeeded in getting me to come back for another issue at least.
    To be fair, who do you think would be complaining about weird people flamboyantly popping up in the neighborhood with their giant treehouse? That reads as realistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    I LOVED this but (someone help out):

1. WHY are they acting like this is their first property in Central Park?
    2. WHY does Lorna needs help moving her bags that MUST have metal in them?
    3. WHY would anyone in 616 question people coming back to life?
    4. WHY respect Proudstar's sacrifice instead of resurrection?
    Well, resurrections are a joke among superheroes but not so much Z list nobodies like Jumbo Carnation. Guys like Captain America and Hulk its a novelty or a quirk. A huge population is a bit alarming.

Your post about Seneca was fascinating but actually caused me to take a dimmer view of the issue. Sorry! Because that means this super white team took a name important to African American history and made it about themselves, which is the kind of cultural appropriation that's plagued X comics for its entire history.

Thinking on it more, this is another problem that's partially their fault. Their Mars colonization already is causing huge problems. Lose a few hero points for stopping a disaster you yourself caused.

That wannabe Mars colonizing flatscan needs to get over himself.

Who does he think he is?
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    That wannabe Mars colonizing flatscan needs to get over himself.

Who does he think he is?
    some Lex Luther wannabe? "Buhuuu, Superman is super and I am not." (*lifting more weights in the basement)