Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Well, resurrections are a joke among superheroes but not so much Z list nobodies like Jumbo Carnation. Guys like Captain America and Hulk its a novelty or a quirk. A huge population is a bit alarming.

Your post about Seneca was fascinating but actually caused me to take a dimmer view of the issue. Sorry! Because that means this super white team took a name important to African American history and made it about themselves, which is the kind of cultural appropriation that's plagued X comics for its entire history.

Thinking on it more, this is another problem that's partially their fault. Their Mars colonization already is causing huge problems. Lose a few hero points for stopping a disaster you yourself caused.
    I agree. And it would have been so easy to integrate X-Men like M, Bishop, or Cecilia Reyes next to Synch...

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    kinda weird though how white the X-Men team is Duggan has brought together for his run......comparing it to Generation X back in the 90s...
    I want to preface what I am about to write by stating that I am a Hispanic-Latino gay man who does not consider himself white or black. However, although I am fair-skinned, I consider myself a person of color. Additionally, I am a dyed-in-the-wool progressive liberal Democrat who vehemently supports racial equality. Not that you would do such a thing, but I feel compelled to share this to avoid suspicions or even accusations of being insensitive or, worse yet, racist.

That being said, according to the U.S. Census, the country's population is comprised of the following percentages of races: 76% White, i.e., including Hispanics and Latinos that identify as White; 60% White, not Hispanic or Latino; 18.5% Hispanic or Latino; 13.4% Black or African American; 5.9% Asian; 2.8% Two or More Races; 1.3% American Indian; 0.2% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. (U.S. Census).

Combined, Black or African Americans and Asians make up 19.3% of our population, so, mathematically speaking, both races are overrepresented on the team, i.e., they make up 28.5% of the members. I think that's a good thing. Furthermore, I would have loved it if a Hispanic or Latino mutant had been included on the team. However, I think it is important to look at statistics when implying that the racial composition of a team is "kinda weird," which could lead to untoward and unfounded assumptions being made.

Incidentally, Duggan voted for Tempo, an African-American woman, to be on the team, but Polaris won the fan election.

(On a side-note: I loved Generation X and do wish Marvel would create another team as diverse as that one was.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I want to preface what I am about to write by stating that I am a Hispanic-Latino gay man who does not consider himself white or black. However, although I am fair-skinned, I consider myself a person of color. Additionally, I am a dyed-in-the-wool progressive liberal Democrat who vehemently supports racial equality. Not that you would do such a thing, but I feel compelled to share this to avoid suspicions or even accusations of being insensitive or, worse yet, racist.

That being said, according to the U.S. Census, the country's population is comprised of the following percentages of races: 76% White, i.e., including Hispanics and Latinos that identify as White; 60% White, not Hispanic or Latino; 18.5% Hispanic or Latino; 13.4% Black or African American; 5.9% Asian; 2.8% Two or More Races; 1.3% American Indian; 0.2% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. (U.S. Census).

Combined, Black or African Americans and Asians make up 19.3% of our population, so, mathematically speaking, both races are overrepresented on the team, i.e., they make up 28.5% of the members. I think that's a good thing. Furthermore, I would have loved it if a Hispanic or Latino mutant had been included on the team. However, I think it is important to look at statistics when implying that the racial composition of a team is "kinda weird," which could lead to untoward and unfounded assumptions being made.

Incidentally, Duggan voted for Tempo, an African-American woman, to be on the team, but Polaris won the fan election.

(On a side-note: I loved Generation X and do wish Marvel would create another team as diverse as that one was.)
    Comic book teams aren't brought together by demographic happenstance though. The team composition could be whatever they wanted it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I liked this issue. Plot-wise it didn't really blow me away or anything, but it had flashy action and amazing art.

If there was one main criticism I had for the writing, was maybe introducing too many villains in one issue. I kinda wish he'd stuck to setting up one and introducing the others at the end of the first arc or later in on in the series. That said, considering this team has a limited lifespan, Duggan may be doing a bit of rushing here. Though I do find it amusing the villain that I think has the most potential really only has a cameo. Excited to see the High Evolutionary relatively soon going by solicits; from claiming to genetically modify the twins to his entire theme of forcibly evolving species, I think he actually makes a really good adversary conceptually. Plus he did have a run in with Rogue in particular not so long ago.

Anyway excited to see what is coming next.
    That's honestly my biggest concern! I'm fine with the team naturally changing it's roster over time, but a year is so little time.

Your argument about stats is irrelevant when talking about representation in media. The goal is for every demographic to be represented or at least many demographics to be put on screen for under represented groups in America that historically don't get much. Not for the media to have proportional representatives based on population percentage

I literally couldn't care less about statistics. Are queers for example only allowed to get represented 5 to 8 percent in mass media? I literally don't get this argument. What does it has to do with anything?! And what's wrong about "over-representing" BIPoCs and QTBIPoCs after periods of historical erasure? (Queer) Black women for example take up ZERO PERCENTAGE of the current team. Zero! So which minority is overrepresented in this team and who remains invisible?

But my comment about "weirdness" referred to the appropriation of Seneca village from a team that is overly white. I don't understand how you can create a predominantly white team and then decide to name their headquarter after Seneca village. that's indeed "weird" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    kinda weird though how white the X-Men team is Duggan has brought together for his run......comparing it to Generation X back in the 90s...
    there was an election or fan vote to add POC and the vote was for polaris. Scott and Jean founded the team and are extremely popular mutants who sell books, X-23 is a female wolverine, Rogue was rescued from excalibur. Synch and sunfire are getting a good boost, and I love that sunfire is on the team. I wouldn't mind having Warpath on for a brute, but there is honestly one white male on the team. The used the female wolverine instead of Logan on the flagship book too. It's a diverse team

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Your argument about stats is irrelevant when talking about representation in media. The goal is for every demographic to be represented or at least many demographics to be put on screen for under represented groups in America that historically don't get much. Not for the media to have proportional representatives based on population percentage
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Comic book teams aren't brought together by demographic happenstance though. The team composition could be whatever they wanted it to be.
    it's usually who the writer wants to use for the story. He doesn't need to include any race if he doesn't want to

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    it's usually who the writer wants to use for the story. He doesn't need to include any race if he doesn't want to
    Found the Friends of Humanity supporter.

I thought this was pretty good! I was worried with people saying this was all "back to basics" X-Men and different from all we had seen so far and all... But it's really only that in the sense that there's an official team of X-Men going on missions. The villain being a human scientist, pissed off about the terraforming of Mars specifically, the mutants settling in and making the news and the humans like Ben being intrigued and uncertain about it. The building of the treehouse. It all feels very Krakoan and relevant to the current era. Even similar to HOX, really. I know it's lame to say that as a compliment, but this could easily be a Hickman issue. With all the people doubting Duggan, he's really proving people wrong imo.

And, of course, the art is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    You are confusing my statement of the facts with an argument. You are also overlooking the fact that I stated I wish there was more diversity on this team and others.

The fact of the matter is, if Duggan had gotten his way, a third person of color would have been on the team.

BANNED

RESPECTFULLY —- this argument is nonsensical. Considering our current population AND foreseeable population trends skew “grey” aka over 60 yrs old,
    and female, it might make a whole lot more sense to site statistics on current comic book buyers/fans. Like, I’m SURE there are some granny x-fans, but sis, please…

Also, you can be POC, queer, liberal, etc and still be colorist. Like…????????

RESPECTFULLY.
    Last edited by PANDEMONIUM; 07-07-2021 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Found the Friends of Humanity supporter.
    those are facts. if a writer doesn't feel comfortable taking on a character, they usually don't. do you not know this?

Quote Originally Posted by PANDEMONIUM View Post
    RESPECTFULLY —- this argument is nonsensical. Considering our current population AND foreseeable population trends skew “grey” aka over 60 yrs old,
    and female, it might make a whole lot more sense to site statistics on current comic book buyers/fans. Like, I’m SURE there are some granny x-fans, but sis, please…
    Read my reply above yours.