Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    They could have had Jean in a support role. The only reason she's even on this team is because she happens to be married to the leader. Storm will be doing things in another book that will probably be cancelled before issue 12. Wow.

Female Wolverine is hardly what I'd call diverse.
    but it is diverse in the sense that it's not another white male. Ultimately Marvel wants to make money and they want to a lesser extent please fans. They added some diversity to the team, if you don't like it or want more, don't read the book.that's all that can really be said at this point. Jean deserves a spot on this team though, Scott and Jean are working on a team together for the first time in a long time, I'd like to see that. She's an important member of the x-Men and she clearly has ties to cyclops, she also acts as a moral compass for the team.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

Thank you for educating me. Brilliant post.

Great taste in favorite character, btw.
    Are you implying that all Cyclops fans are racist? Please stop using actual legitimate problems as a cover to grind your petty axe. It's offensive.

BANNED

Agreed. M should have been on the team instead of Jean "whitest X-Man ever" Grey and Storm instead of X "I have no actual personality of my own" - 23.

They could have had another POC instead of Polaris too who was basically always going to win the fan vote.
    Yes, Jean should have stayed in X-Force.

Are you implying that all Cyclops fans are racist? Please stop using actual legitimate problems as a cover to grind your petty axe. It's offensive.
    How does that post imply imply that?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    but it is diverse in the sense that it's not another white male. Ultimately Marvel wants to make money and they want to a lesser extent please fans. They added some diversity to the team, if you don't like it or want more, don't read the book.that's all that can really be said at this point. Jean deserves a spot on this team though, Scott and Jean are working on a team together for the first time in a long time, I'd like to see that. She's an important member of the x-Men and she clearly has ties to cyclops, she also acts as a moral compass for the team.
    I'll read and comment on whatever I want. If you don't like my posts, you don't have to read them.

I'll read and comment on whatever I want. If you don't like my posts, you don't have to read them.
    i don't care what you read, but if all you do is complain about something, it's not worth it. I read some issue of excalibur, it was terrible, i stopped reading it. I simply said if you are getting angry over the line up, you don't have to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Why do you feel the need to call me angry and toxic?

I don't care about Duggan personally. But he is obviously part of the problem because he writes these comics. I just wrote that I think it is a problem to use Seneca village as a name for a headquarter of a predominantly white team! You are attacking me now personally here and calling me toxic.

I'm out. This conversation is pointless.
    Firstly, I apologize for accusing you of wanting to direct your anger at Duggan and for labeling those intentions toxic. That was wrong of me. Secondly, I think he meant well when he named the HQ park Seneca Gardens and was probably attempting to bring awareness to the history of Seneca Village. Thirdly, I think if he could have added another member to the team, he would have, if only to include Tempo, which is a favorite character of his.

Even if it wasn't entirely Duggan's decision as to who would be on the team, it still reflects badly on the people in charge to have the X-men team (which is supposed to be a stand in for minorities) be predominantly white and then taking a name and history belonging to African Americans and making it about mutants/themselves. I don't think anyone is calling Duggan a racist. And the problem we're talking about is sadly common in the X books.

In defense of Laura, she does have a personality. Just not when she's written as Logan but as a girl.

I, for one - and obviously so - am happy Jean is on the team. It simply thrills me. And the hate directed at her thrills me even more.

Seethe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I, for one - and obviously so - am happy Jean is on the team. It simply thrills me. And the hate directed at her thrills me even more.

Seethe.
    I'm glad she's on the team too. She's an original member and deserves to be there

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    …it still reflects badly on the people in charge to have the X-men team (which is supposed to be a stand in for minorities) be predominantly white and then taking a name and history belonging to African Americans and making it about mutants/themselves. I don't think anyone is calling Duggan a racist. And the problem we're talking about is sadly common in the X books.
    I can agree with this, but I still interpret the homage to Seneca Village as an olive branch, even if the team isn’t composed of mostly Black or African Americans.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

It's really complicated, isn't it? The writer picks some characters to add diversity to the team - it's not enough, there should be more.

(I'm sure he'll be judged for not portraying those characters perfectly at some point too.)

The writer decides to mention racial injustice - he shouldn't do it when the majority of the team is made of white heroes.

I'm not saying everything is perfect and I think constructive criticism should be offered, but the standards nowadays are so high that can you blame a writer for simply avoiding it and not even trying?

Also: I'm sorry. Jean is too white? That means the first X-woman will never be able to be in the flagship title anymore because of her skin colour? Come on, guys... That makes no sense.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 07-08-2021 at 01:07 AM.

Representation in a fictional title that resolves around an offshoot of homo sapiens is always going to be a huge exercise in tail chasing.

While I'm not saying that there is no validity to it?

- What percentage of the planet's population do mutants actually make up?
    - How much of that percentage would be non-white?
    - How much of that non-white percentage would be non-straight?
    - How much of that non-white/non-straight percentage has a power that would be even remotely useful in the field?
    - Even if said power made "Useful...", would it likely get them killed in the field?
    - How many of that group have any actual interest in a "Combat..." position? Are they pacifists?

Past that, the book was on the dull side. Not exactly the best place for those sorts of characters to turn up just for the sake of them doing so.

BANNED

"Make X-Men O5-Style Again"

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Even if it wasn't entirely Duggan's decision as to who would be on the team, it still reflects badly on the people in charge to have the X-men team (which is supposed to be a stand in for minorities) be predominantly white and then taking a name and history belonging to African Americans and making it about mutants/themselves. I don't think anyone is calling Duggan a racist. And the problem we're talking about is sadly common in the X books.

In defense of Laura, she does have a personality. Just not when she's written as Logan but as a girl.
    In the context of a fictional work where African American mutants(shoot, every possible type of mutant...) voted for two members of that team?

Does the team not actually represent them?

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Monet......
    Monet is better off in X-Corp. I was left with Karma, Dani or Astrid Bloom