Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It was nice for once to see hand and mutants getting along, especially the heroes, contrary to many peoples narratives on here that the Avengers are supervillains for not constantly solving every X-Men plotline

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It was nice for once to see hand and mutants getting along, especially the heroes, contrary to many peoples narratives on here that the Avengers are supervillains for not constantly solving every X-Men plotline
    And it was done very well and didn't take anything from the book either. This is exactly the sort of synergy i talk about would be nice or would have been nice in the Avengers book during certain story lines when mutants were suffering. It took nothing but a few captions to show the avengers and the FF were coming to help mutants and i appreciated it.

One of the funniest part to me was the "i got a casserole in the oven" because i thought, "that's sue." and then "naaah, that's definitely Ben." lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

This was a lot of fun. Beautiful art and colors, and fast intro to the team.

I do agree that far too many antagonists were being introduced. I think they could have spaced them out a bit more, because I felt it was a bit jarring jumping between all of them.

I wasn't blown away but it was a definitely a good issue. I really liked the vibes.

My only nitpick is that I wish the team used there own powers withOUT the robot to get that win.

But I understand they needed to do something flashy and OOTB for the first issue.

Pepe and Marte just elevated his words greatly.

And the comment about sidekicks from Cyclops made me think they should mentor some kids. Wink Wink Wind Dancer Let me dream.

People starting to finally wonder how mutants are coming back is something I wanted explored more.

I think when humans find out about the resurrection protocols they will definitely attack that location on Krakoa.

The new villains were interesting but still blank slates to me. We shall see what shenanigans they will conjure for the X-Men.

Can't wait to read more Rogue and Polaris.

Also I like the Fantastic Four and Avengers cameo and you look really closely on that spread you see Spider-Man with his commentary.

Please tell me if I'm wrong because it made me chuckle.
    Last edited by CGAR; 07-07-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    1) The issue clearly states Synch is still in sync with Forge.

2) Synch spent the last few centuries being the tech guy for himself, laura and darwin the vault.
    Yes, I'm aware. I didn't say it didn't make sense, just that it feels like an odd fit for the character. Synch always seemed more like the action oriented, field leader type in Gen X. If this a direction Duggan is going to continue to take the character, that will take some getting used to for me.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    It wasn't bad, but it was very bland. The narration boxes were very old fashioned, which I suppose appeals to some, but after two years of innovation, to me it feels regressive.
    I enjoyed it for what it is, but I definitely think the point was to be old school. Or "classic", if you prefer. It's a first X-book I feel like I've seen before and could easily exist outside of the Krakoa era. It felt similar to the most successful recent runs I can think of, which were Gillen and Bendis. Both those runs were additive and featured a lot of fan service moments of X greatness and cameos by other heroes where the X-Men were the stars, rather than punching bags.

This book met my expectations and was a really fun read! I’m looking forward to what comes next!
    Mutant and Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Why do you feel the need to tell specifically you are black, Caribbean, and gay? Should it really matter to us that you are that? All of us are equal.
    Why you so pressed about him talking about his heritage?

Here’s my little review of X-Men:

I haven’t read through this thread yet, but I will once I get a chance.

While the writing was sharp and the overall direction of the story intriguing, I agree with most of the mainstream reviews in that this issue was lacking in character dynamics and development. In fact, I would have considered it excellent had Duggan written just two to four more pages centered on the members discussing, well, the new team and simply interacting. Either that, or he could have dedicated a page to each character settling in and ruminating about their decision to become a member of this team. Hopefully, those moments will come.

Color me intrigued, however. I give it a solid B.
    Last edited by Mercury; 07-07-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    The reporter, The Lawyer are established Marvel characters.

The High Evolutionary!

John Proudstar honorable mention!

Oh and that was Voltron, not Power Rangers....
    Seemed like a deliberate mashup of many anime things. The robot design was more like “7 Zark 7” from Battle of the Planets / G Force whose ship turned into… a Phoenix. 331B847E-1510-4241-863F-5E8495844A78.jpg

This was a lot of fun. I wasn't expecting any big character moments being a set-up issue, but the teamwork was fun and I'm looking forward to what's coming. The villain set-up felt a lot like Mike Carey's first issue which established the Children but also started the plot threads for Pan and the Hecatomb/Mummudrai. It isn't super uncommon for a first issue to do this.

I know the robot isn't altogether original, but I think I'll always have fun when non-Mech books tell a Mech story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    No sorry meant that this specific team has a limited lifespan because it'll be rotating characters or that's the implication; through annual election iirc.
    Oh, that's not so bad then. "Annual" in Marvel terms technically means 4-5 years after all, lol.

I'm not feeling as harsh about the multiple villains now either, since we did go a really long time without any. Granted, most new villains are hard to get at first and only become more popular after time. Maybe that will happen with Hordeculture? Who reminded me of the new fungi alien villain since both want Earth unharmed.

They need to expand Kevin beyond the jealous super intelligent human being though.....

And those complaining about the X-robot design must want Jumbo on a team! The X-robot would have then had as much style as the Mind Reaper. The X-robot didn't have an omega style editor in its 5-minute creation after all.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 07-07-2021 at 08:28 AM.

The issue definitely exceeded my expectations. Great showing for my man Synch and of course Larraz and Gracia made everything look amazing.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Why do you feel the need to tell specifically you are black, Caribbean, and gay? Should it really matter to us that you are that? All of us are equal.
    Well...all of us are different and I revel in my Black Gay Male Caribbean different-ness.
    But more to the point of your question...it was done in response to another poster who said yesterday that only White Straight readers would enjoy this book. I'm not White. I'm not Straight. And I LOVED the hell out of X-Men 01.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I think X-Bot looks pretty jazzy for being thrown together so quickly.
    I KNOW!!! I want an X-Bot Toy!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!