Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I KNOW!!! I want an X-Bot Toy!
    An X-bot plushie would be tops. X-bot shall save the day from Nimrod.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I give it an 8/10. The art was gorgeous, I like the Treehouse, and I'm excited to read more about this team, but Scott and Laura especially were written very generically. It didn't feel like "them." Ben Urich's article in the data page also wasn't particularly well-written. Still, I'm in for issue 2.

I also noticed that it is specifically shown that Jumbo Carnation died in 2003. While this is true in terms of real time to us, I'm wondering where this fits into the sliding timescale. I know we're not supposed to get overly concerned with timescales and years elapsed, but this seemed an intentional mention, whereas it shouldn't have happened 17-18 years ago in-universe?

Sounds awesome! Can’t wait to check it out.

Overall take on the issue: It was a strong start. It had a great deal of high concept set up as all X-Men #1's tend to be. There was a bit too much of the issue spent introducing the foes, but it wasn't a significant problem. The tree house was an interesting concept which sets the mutants both as part of New York and not part of it. The art was great throughout the issue. The teamwork was strong as well.

My belief for this book is that Duggan has down the big ideas, but the interpersonal dynamics most of which has yet to be seen will determine if this run ends up being one of the top ten iconic x-runs of all time.

On the Polaris front Duggan scored in highlighting her mutant queen persona something we haven't seen in awhile.

X-Men #1: 9 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's not about character development. It's about being written IN-CHARACTER.
    What is her character exactly? Everyone keeps saying stoic, but readers hate stoic characters. Cyclops is stoic and it resulted in him being called boring for decades. Also, New York again? Why not Denver, Dallas or Portland. New York is so played out.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-07-2021 at 10:21 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I enjoyed the issue. The art is fantastic, and I enjoy how the characters enjoy what they're doing.

Synch has been a new favorite for me in this era, so I'm glad to see him continue to shine -- and Forge has really been omnipresent, hasn't he? I love it.

The villains introduced all have me excited about what's in store for the first year of the book, and the dialogue about getting sidekicks "maybe next year" has me hoping that's actually going to happen. I enjoy when X-kids get screen time. There's so many interesting ones.

I was looking for fun and I got it.

-Pav, who feels the Hickman-era X-line just gets stronger and stronger...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I loved this issue. MUCH better than Hickman's X-men #1

The X-men Megazord was such a cool idea
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-07-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What is her character exactly? Everyone keeps saying stoic, but readers hate stoic characters. Cyclops is stoic and it resulted in him being called boring for decades. Also, New York again? Why not Denver, Dallas or Portland. New York is so played out.
    I like the choice of New York because it gives ample opportunity to interact with or at least bump into the other heroes. I adored seeing Spidey breathe a sigh of relief that he didn't have to handle this one. I love little nuggets like that.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I like the choice of New York because it gives ample opportunity to interact with or at least bump into the other heroes. I adored seeing Spidey breathe a sigh of relief that he didn't have to handle this one. I love little nuggets like that.
    where was he seen? I missed that cameo

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He's just to the left of the Avengers, teeny tiny.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Yes, I'm aware. I didn't say it didn't make sense, just that it feels like an odd fit for the character. Synch always seemed more like the action oriented, field leader type in Gen X. If this a direction Duggan is going to continue to take the character, that will take some getting used to for me.
    Field leader type or not, he's arguably the least experienced of them when it comes to the X-Men team itself (his time in the vault was without their support, after all). And yet, it was his plan that saved the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I thought that was Iron Man, in the scene where the Quinjet and the Fantasticar hover above Laura.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Oh, that's not so bad then. "Annual" in Marvel terms technically means 4-5 years after all, lol.

I'm not feeling as harsh about the multiple villains now either, since we did go a really long time without any. Granted, most new villains are hard to get at first and only become more popular after time. Maybe that will happen with Hordeculture? Who reminded me of the new fungi alien villain since both want Earth unharmed.

They need to expand Kevin beyond the jealous super intelligent human being though.....

And those complaining about the X-robot design must want Jumbo on a team! The X-robot would have then had as much style as the Mind Reaper. The X-robot didn't have an omega style editor in its 5-minute creation after all.
    I don't think we need to Too Much expanding on Kevin honestly his backstory pretty much tells us all we need to know about his personality he was a child prodigy look at constant Praises showered on him at an early age and that really tends to breed a narcissistic streak. Having his life's goal you served by a bunch of mutants in a matter of hours was probably a pretty big psychological blow to his immature mind and like a child he threw a temper tantrum. Just on the scale of a genius level intellect.
    Last edited by loke13; 07-07-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Well you say that, but her characterization is what made her popular in the first place, and even if was boring, it wouldn't make radical shifts in character not bad writing anyway.
    You also seem to be confusing stoic (which is only her most surface characteristic) with bland (Which is what people have accused Cyclops of.)
    It's the difference between Malinda May, and pre-hydra reveal Ward.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

This was so much fun!

The art and colors were amazing, as usual, and Duggan did great giving us a taste of team dynamics and future villains. Loved the Treehouse and can't wait to see more interactions between the characters.