Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Children of the Atom #5 Review/Spoiler - Secrets Revealed

Jay is narrating the issue and recounts the events of last issue when the team was abducted and he escaped. He contemplates calling the Avengers but decides not to bc of Kamalas' law. He then happens upon the Krakoan Embassy in NYC and decides on the X-men

We get a data page on each of the members and the tech used to emulate their powers. Additionally they have anti-TP tech built into their headgear

The X-men show up to fight the U-Men and save the kids. They are winning until the U-Men use anti-mutant tech to suppress their powers. The Children then step into action and eventually defeat them. In the aftermath, Cyclops talks to the kids and lets them know that Kamala's Law applies to them and they should stop bc what they are doing is dangerous.

Later the kids reconvene at one of their homes. Storm comes with an invitation to the Hellfire Gala which is open to all mutants. The kids are confused but Storm explains that Cerebro read Carmen's manifestation and officially welcomes her to Krakoa. She thanks her and the issue is to be concluded

Last edited by Havok83; 07-07-2021 at 08:59 AM.

So was it good?

Weakest issue by far. Still one more to go but a lot of things here didn't make sense to me like Storm just watching the doctor get away. The writing for the characters was still strong but the plot and how it actually moved was beyond b movie cliche. Storm just stood there and watched the doctor walk into a magical hatch that miraciously teleported her away. I don't get what the tension is between the brothers or why he felt a burden to benny.

Then i was confused on Storm at the end, i honestly don't know how to feel about her showing up with carmen invitation. I mean it was nice but on the other hand in a book that focused so much on identity and personally embracing that i was left thinking should i feel Storm outed Carmen. I mean for all intents and purposes Vita had Storm take away Carmen's choice on whether she wanted her friends to know she was a mutant or not. That made me think should i feel some sort of way about that, like should it bother me, i'm not sure, maybe that was the purpose maybe i'm over thinking it.

The art on this was so all over the place too i just don't even know. Near the tail end of the issue Storm looked like everybody and every race you could imagine i thought it was mystique trying to get it right. I mean just overall a head scratcher for me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So was it good?
    I liked it. I found it easier to follow then the last couple of issues.

I didnt like the timing of Carmen getting the gala invite in this issue a month after the event where we saw her there

I agree, the Carmen outing seemed a bit off for Storm (but then thinking about it, Storm feels being a mutant is to be celebrated, not hidden, but it still should have been Carmen's choice). I also thought it was a bit cheesy before the fight scene with Storm's dialogue and Wolvie going all "Grrrrrr!"
    I kinda liked the concept of the vests targeting the x-gene, a bit of a different take on the old power dampeners. It was also fun to see the two teams fighting together after the COTA destroyed the vests.

Wondering where this is going to go now for the conclusion.

Oh this issue did also made me think Carmen has to join the house of carnation. What she has been able to do with little to no information on alien technology for the team costumes even before her manifestation is a feat in of itself. I hope we find out what her mutant power is next issue,
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvandar View Post
    I agree, the Carmen outing seemed a bit off for Storm (but then thinking about it, Storm feels being a mutant is to be celebrated, not hidden, but it still should have been Carmen's choice). I also thought it was a bit cheesy before the fight scene with Storm's dialogue and Wolvie going all "Grrrrrr!"
    I kinda liked the concept of the vests targeting the x-gene, a bit of a different take on the old power dampeners. It was also fun to see the two teams fighting together after the COTA destroyed the vests.

Wondering where this is going to go now for the conclusion.
    I loved the power dampening scene and them getting literally sick i was like it finally makes sense. It just doesn't make sense to be that with no effect a power dampener somehow disables a connection to ones very genetic code. Here it showed it was actively attacking their entire system so it wasn't just about reaction but your entire body not responding. I actually remember thinking "thank you!" lol.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Compounding my confusion over whether or not the Gala invites people, with a statement that any mutant can attend and mutants being personally invited as well

Astonishing Member

I k or that the delays make the whole Kamala’s law thing a dead letter at this point, but shouldn’t it have been the Squadron rather than the Avengers people would need to worry about re enforcing the law?

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Compounding my confusion over whether or not the Gala invites people, with a statement that any mutant can attend and mutants being personally invited as well
    every mutant is not being personally invited. Carmen was bc of the circumstances surrounding her mutant status and Storm wanting to make her feel welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I k or that the delays make the whole Kamala’s law thing a dead letter at this point, but shouldn’t it have been the Squadron rather than the Avengers people would need to worry about re enforcing the law?
    The Avengers are well known to everyone. It makes sense that some 12 year old would instantly think of them first

I"m glad this comic got made. It was the goofiest looking one but I really enjoyed how the story progressed. Not sure how they'll wrap it up in the next issue but this one would have been a satisfactory final issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    I"m glad this comic got made. It was the goofiest looking one but I really enjoyed how the story progressed. Not sure how they'll wrap it up in the next issue but this one would have been a satisfactory final issue.
    I'm glad it got made as well but watching Carmen journey i just don't feel i can put a stamp on it until i find out what her manifestation is. Especially since her ability was redacted in another book which i assume was intentional.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Jay is narrating the issue and recounts the events of last issue when the team was abducted and he escaped. He contemplates calling the Avengers but decides not to bc of Kamalas' law. He then happens upon the Krakoan Embassy in NYC and decides on the X-men
    You misread it. It's the Champions he decides not to call because of the Law. The Avengers he just calls "gross".
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You misread it. It's the Champions he decides not to call because of the Law. The Avengers he just calls "gross".
    This was another scene that took me all the way out and made no sense. If he had the communicator Storm gave them, which is right there in his hand, why did he need to go all the way to the krakoan embassy? Why not just use the communication device and call for help?
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Honestly, Storm probably thought if the kids are close enough to fight crime together, they probably knew that one of them was a mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't get what the tension is between the brothers or why he felt a burden to benny.
    I haven't picked up #5 yet but they explained this from Marvel Boy's pov in #4 that he just has attachment issues after his parents got divorced and whatnot.
    "Cable was right!"