Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Default Superman Panel at Comic-Con@Home 2021

SUPERMAN

- Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET

- DC Editor in Chief Marie Javins leads a super discussion with the super talented, multiple Eisner Award-nominated writers Tom Taylor (Superman: Son of Kal-El), Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Action Comics) and Grant Morrison (Superman and the Authority). Fans of both Clark and Jon Kent won’t want to miss this one!

Comic-Con@Home 2021 takes place from Friday, July 23-Sunday, July 25.

Last edited by oneveryfineday; 07-24-2021 at 11:03 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Lets GOOOOOOO!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Cool!i want to hear what these guys collectively do with both jon and clark.Morrison is the only dude who can make clark the savior i can stand.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Definitely excited to listen to this! Kind of surprised Tom King and Robert Venditti aren’t on this as well
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-07-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    SUPERMAN

- Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET

- DC Editor in Chief Marie Javins leads a super discussion with the super talented, multiple Eisner Award-nominated writers Tom Taylor (Superman: Son of Kal-El), Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Action Comics) and Grant Morrison (Superman and the Authority). Fans of both Clark and Jon Kent won’t want to miss this one!

Comic-Con@Home 2021 takes place from Friday, July 23-Sunday, July 25.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comic-con-at-home-2021-panels/
    Nice.

Hope good things come

Incredible Member

Wait, nothing on the general universe? Just the Trinity, Death Metal and the horror books (which are admittedly a very cool thing to highlight here)?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Wait, nothing on the general universe? Just the Trinity, Death Metal and the horror books (which are admittedly a very cool thing to highlight here)?
    DC Fandome is likely where teases for what’s coming in 2022 will be revealed.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    DC Fandome is likely where teases for what’s coming in 2022 will be revealed.
    When is it ? October ? It's too far away...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    When is it ? October ? It's too far away...
    Nah.

We're already inching towards July's halfway mark. October will be here before you even realize it.

Bumping this for tomorrow, excited to get a glimpse at the future of what’s to come

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Come on, big money. Big money, no whammies. Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Finally! Eager to see what they have to say!

Alright so this what I’ve understood from this panel

1. Yes it was Time Travel in the first issue of Superman and the Authority that sent Clark to the 60’s
    2. Superman and the Authority is connected to Action Comics, but apparently it’s a secret how it connects
    3. Jon Kent is getting a new super suit
    4. Something big happens that changes the status quo apparently and that caused Superman and Authority/Superman: son of kal-el (if I understood that correctly).
    5. Lois won’t be in person with Clark in War World but she’s apparently important later down the line.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

PKJ:

- He believes the past few years have been dedicated to humanizing Superman as much as possible so he wants to put him on the biggest stage and emphasize the SUPER part of Superman.
    - Mentions the Multiverse again, and Superman's place in it.
    - He's basing his Mongul and Warworld on Bendis. He mentions Superman hasn't actually met this Mongul yet.
    - He is making Warworld a much bigger part of the DCU: bigger, older, newer. So that's what he meant back in his first interviews, not Krypton or Almerac but Warworld.
    - Clark does not feel he has much of a choice as far as leaving his family and the JL goes. "The thing's he's going to do, he's compelled to do." A big part of his story is reminding Clark that he doesn't belong exclusively to Earth but also to the Universe and Multiverse.
    - His Superman run was lead-up to Taylor's and the events of it makes it easier for him to leave Earth behind because of how much he trusts Jon.
    - Implies there's no more father-son moments after Superman leaves Earth. So I guess those who don't like Jon can feel safe in continuing with his run after the Warworld saga begins in full.
    - Including the Authority is not his idea.
    - The status quo on Earth will be "irrevocably changed" in the following months. There will be a lot of changes and those are the circumstances in which the events of Son of Kal-El begin, as well as Superman and the Authority coming together (so I guess we got confirmation of when that miniseries happens).
    - Clark's attention shifts from the JL to the Warworld situation.
    - The events of Superman & the Authority lead directly to his Warworld arc.
    - When asked of "where Lois is on his run", he mentions her large role in the current arc, says she's not going to be present for the Warworld arc (that she'll be far more important in Taylor's book) and that she'll have a major role after that arc is over (exactly how is a massive spoiler).
    - He can't mention exactly what Clark's plans for Warworld are because it'd be a massive spoiler for the current arc.
    - Emphasizes again that he believes he was called in for his worldbuilding and is doing a lot of it for Warworld. Mentions Superman 400 and the cover of Superman Annual 10. He wants to make as epic a Superman story as he could possibly write.

Taylor:

- Mentions that Jon has been in a volcano. So I guess Earth-3 is still fully in play for Taylor. Yay for me, because that's one potentially interesting part of his development that sucks instead because everyone keeps underplaying and ignoring how significant it is.
    - The story is about how Jon finds who he is. He's asking himself "Who am I", "What's my role in the world", "What is the Superman of Today".
    - Once again, makes clear this is his modernized Golden Age run.
    - He's going to fill the book with a supporting cast including Damian. Mentions they still have the same age gap, so I guess once again we're refusing to acknowledge any change in their dynamic.
    - The difference between Clark as Superman and Jon as Superman is that Clark is the son of the Kents and Jon is the son of Superman and (he emphasizes this a lot) Lois Lane.
    - Jon doesn't just want to fight the symptons. He wants to fight for change instead of propping up the status quo.
    - The story is about him "possibly over-stepping a bit".
    - Jon's suit in issue 1 is not permanent, it will change. The upcoming design is entirely John Timms' idea.
    - Taylor and Timms have been talking about this book for "a long time".

Morrison:

- Superman & The Authority embraces all the different things Superman has been over the years and goes back to the radical Superman of 1938.
    - "We see him with president Kennedy in 1963 and that's explained via time travel or whatever". Morrison can't even pretend for a second that this actually belongs in main continuity and isn't just shoehorned into it.
    - Grant says Superman is basically in his midlife.
    - The presence of Jon Kent has allowed Superman to realize he doesn't have to be the kind of Superman he's been for the past years/decades anymore. He "no longer has the chains of this role and this responsibility".
    - It's about Superman looking back and questioning "It's not so much what I have achieved and what I haven't achieved, but is this what I wanted when I was 20?" in the context of his son also being around that age.
    - Clark embraces his Kryptonian side a lot more, his intellect, his compassion.
    - There's about three different levels of reasons why he's forming a team. We're going to think we know why he's done this, but then it turns out it was for another reason, but then it turns out it was for a third reason.
    - Grant picked the characters by seeing the original Authority team and wondering which DC characters could be stand-ins for them.
    - The connective tissue between this mini and PKJ's Action Comics really only happen in the last issue. For the vast majority of it, it's just its own thing.

Janin:

- He has designed all characters to work both as individuals and as a team (in terms of color palette and size diversity).
    - Superman's design is a mix of Grant's original design for the pitch, the New 52 Superman and Kingdom Come Superman.
    - The difference between drawing Superman and Batman is that "when you draw Batman, anything you do will look cool, so you just focus on the cape and shadows and all that; Superman is much harder, so you focus on the face and the body language and try to keep that spirit on every panel, even when saying simple things he must appear like Superman."