Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You know there is something I like about these idea of Jon being Superman meaning that Clark can semi-relax and do his own thing, even if his own thing right now is freeing the war world slaves. But I’d kind of like to see it change that when Clark comes back he’s still Superman but he gets to devote more time to projects he wants to do and spending time with Lois.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know there is something I like about these idea of Jon being Superman meaning that Clark can semi-relax and do his own thing, even if his own thing right now is freeing the war world slaves. But I’d kind of like to see it change that when Clark comes back he’s still Superman but he gets to devote more time to projects he wants to do and spending time with Lois.
    I agree, but on the other hand Clark considering "liberating an entire planet of slaves" as something to do in his free time sounds completely in character to me. It reminds me of a Bronze Age issue of Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane where the two of them go on a date during a slow news day and end up time-traveling to the future to put an end to a dictatorship, simply because they're Superman and Lois Lane and that's just how their lives go.

Laughing at how Morrison is basically just using the barest of pretenses to link S&tA with continuity. I’m sure they’re sick of DC’s continuity f***ery.

Alright so Jon isn’t getting the Future State suit? That’s a shame if so, it’s a great suit.

What could possibly happen to shake the status quo up more than it already has been? Least you guys can not worry about it being Lois’ death, she’ll be back in Action after the Warworld Saga and seems to be poised to be a major part of Taylor’s run. She’s fine.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Alright so this what I’ve understood from this panel

1. Yes it was Time Travel in the first issue of Superman and the Authority that sent Clark to the 60’s
    2. Superman and the Authority is connected to Action Comics, but apparently it’s a secret how it connects
    3. Jon Kent is getting a new super suit
    4. Something big happens that changes the status quo apparently and that caused Superman and Authority/Superman: son of kal-el (if I understood that correctly).
    5. Lois won’t be in person with Clark in War World but she’s apparently important later down the line.
    The big event that changed everything… could it be the death of Ma and Pa Kent like that cover for Superman: Son of Kal-El teased I wonder? To be honest the Kents feel even more redundant with Clark himself starting to show his age. Plus they weren’t afraid to rereveal his identity so soon after the New 52 did it, maybe they plan on killing off the Kents again as well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

#2 hits about right to me. I said a day or so ago that it felt as if the confusion was intentional now. How it connects is supposed to be an unknown at this point. I hope the reveal(s) are good ones.

I could easily see the Kents dying again being the big status quo change. They brought them back but ironically it was during a period in which they no longer really have a place. Superman was going to be leaving Earth, their grandson is almost an adult, and Lois might end up adopting a quasi-"Ma" role, being the only parent around when Jon starts up. Oddly enough there's less reason now to have them around than there was in the New 52 when characterization of that Superman depended more on a pre-Crisis take.

I wouldn't be half surprised if something happens to Kansas shades of Kingdom Come.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-24-2021 at 09:04 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Honestly, I'm liking a lot of what I'm hearing.

A long time ago I got caught up on the idea that it's time for the DCU to take a collective step forward; what happens to all these people in the next phase of their lives? That was my idea for the next "reboot." Not starting from scratch, but moving forward in a big enough way to feel like a renewal.

And all of this here feels a lot like that. Clark going cosmic while Jon stays behind on earth? I can definitely roll with that. What seems to be a return of the Golden Age social crusader, including reduced power level, but with a cosmic scope? Has DC been reading my dream journal?

We'll see how it all goes. DC has spent years beating me into cynicism when it comes to Superman, and I'm still not thrilled with a lot of their choices. But I can't say I'm against the general ideas being presented here.

Except to wonder "where's Jimmy and the Planet in all this?" anyway.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Least you guys can not worry about it being Lois’ death, she’ll be back in Action after the Warworld Saga and seems to be poised to be a major part of Taylor’s run. She’s fine.
    Maybe Lois will become Earth’s ambassador to the United Planets like in Future State? That’ll let her be involved in Clark’s cosmic adventures while still tying her to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    #2 hits about right to me. I said a day or so ago that it felt as if the confusion was intentional now. How it connects is supposed to be an unknown at this point. I hope the reveal(s) are good ones.

I could easily see the Kents dying again being the big status quo change. They brought them back but ironically it was during a period in which they no longer really have a place. Superman was going to be leaving Earth, their grandson is almost an adult, and Lois might end up adopting a quasi-"Ma" role, being the only parent around when Jon starts up. Oddly enough there's less reason now to have them around than there was in the New 52 when characterization of that Superman depended more on a pre-Crisis take.

I wouldn't be half surprised if something happens to Kansas shades of Kingdom Come.
    The Kents have been so irrelevant since their return that it wouldn’t really change much (although in-universe I can see why it would be a big event). Williamson already blew one Captain Atom up in his IF mini, here’s hoping another doesn’t get killed as well
    Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Maybe Lois will become Earth’s ambassador to the United Planets like in Future State? That’ll let her be involved in Clark’s cosmic adventures while still tying her to Earth.
    Hm maybe. Personally I think she may become a full fledged agent of Checkmate and that will be how they justify her getting involved in whatever Clark gets up to. The real big question is what is Clark going to do with Warworld once he liberates it? It’s a freaking Death Star.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

The Kents have been so irrelevant since their return that it wouldn’t really change much (although in-universe I can see why it would be a big event). Williamson already blew one Captain Atom up in his IF mini, here’s hoping another doesn’t get killed as well
    Man, killing off the Kents would drive the Injustice parallels home even more. Though it’s a little hard to feel the emotional impact when Jon never really had on-panel bonding time with his grandparents.

Hm maybe. Personally I think she may become a full fledged agent of Checkmate and that will be how they justify her getting involved in whatever Clark gets up to. The real big question is what is Clark going to do with Warworld once he liberates it? It’s a freaking Death Star.
    Maybe Clark can repurpose it as his movable Fortress in space as he fights Kryptonian despots

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    - He's going to fill the book with a supporting cast including Damian. Mentions they still have the same age gap, so I guess once again we're refusing to acknowledge any change in their dynamic.
    I don't get why this keeps being mentioned. Did anyone ever care that there was some specific age gap between them? People liked them because it was two kids doing fun things. Fact that Damian was a bit older was irrelevant since he acts same way around older people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't get why this keeps being mentioned. Did anyone ever care that there was some specific age gap between them? People liked them because it was two kids doing fun things. Fact that Damian was a bit older was irrelevant since he acts same way around older people as well.
    My guess: DC doesn't want to acknowledge the actual reasons a lot of people are still unhappy with what they did to Jon so they act like the problem is something else. "Look guys, nothing has changed, they are still the super sons you know and love! Stop being angry!"
    But they are not. The age gap is not the issue. The issue is that Jon is basically an adult now, especially with him taking over as Superman and possibly even as member of the Justice League (correct me if I'm wrong on this one). They are not equals anymore and the fun of just seeing two kids go on kid adventures is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Man, killing off the Kents would drive the Injustice parallels home even more. Though it’s a little hard to feel the emotional impact when Jon never really had on-panel bonding time with his grandparents.
    If anyone is good at cheap feels bait before murdering characters it’s Taylor I think people will be suitably charmed if they do end up biting it. I just want them dead, still pissed at Johns for bringing them back.

Maybe Clark can repurpose it as his movable Fortress in space as he fights Kryptonian despots
    Oh **** you just made me realize what it’s probably going to become. Not his new Fortress but his new Authority team’s Carrier.

If anyone is good at cheap feels bait before murdering characters it’s Taylor I think people will be suitably charmed if they do end up biting it. I just want them dead, still pissed at Johns for bringing them back.

Oh **** you just made me realize what it’s probably going to become. Not his new Fortress but his new Authority team’s Carrier.
    Yeah cause that’s not going to make him some big enemies.

“Hey remember when Superman got mad, ditched the earth, quit the Justice League, and formed his own team with a group of anti-heroes and criminals? Yeah well he’s back now and he came back with a Death Star”
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Stick Kandor on it and have Superman rename it Rokyn.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah cause that’s not going to make him some big enemies.

“Hey remember when Superman got mad, ditched the earth, quit the Justice League, and formed his own team with a group of anti-heroes and criminals? Yeah well he’s back now and he came back with a Death Star”
    Will he come back to Earth at some point? I don’t think so, I think they’ll be keeping Clark away from Earth for at least a year to give Jon time to develop as the “main” Superman. But I’m sure Supes’ actions on Warworld will definitely draw the attention of the wider galaxy.