Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Krakoa Evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I really do not like the Terra formers story in X-Force. It is weird and makes X-Force come across as bad guys (especially Beast).

The techno touch of Cypher/Warlock never got explained, did they?
    dropped just like Warlock secretly being Cypher's arm

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Very salient observations. Did I miss these in a title somewhere or are these fan-made?
    Thank you. No, I just shared these "revelations" today.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Did you read Dr Reyes’ report page in the latest X-Force issue?
    No, what did it say?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Thank you. No, I just shared these "revelations" today.

No, what did it say?

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    They're aware of that, hence why Selene and Emplates job is to make sure Krakoa does not take too much.
    Why anyone thought it was a good idea putting these two gluttons and rule-breakers in charge of monitoring Krakoa's appetite, I don't know.

Wonderful, Havok83. You are engaged...

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Whole thing reminds me of the lotus eaters from Greek myth. Or other similar stories where the people are being slowly infected without realizing it. Given that this same character Krakoa was at one point an enemy of the X-men and a villain, I'm a bit hesitate to say it's just some non threatening thing. Make more mutants to me sounds more like, "Make more things to feed off of and grow stronger." Do we even know if it won't decide to go and start feeding off non mutants?

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Why anyone thought it was a good idea putting these two gluttons and rule-breakers in charge of monitoring Krakoa's appetite, I don't know.
    the gag would be if Selene was slowly siphoning off more energy for herself to repower herself. Necrosha II coming in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Whole thing reminds me of the lotus eaters from Greek myth. Or other similar stories where the people are being slowly infected without realizing it. Given that this same character Krakoa was at one point an enemy of the X-men and a villain, I'm a bit hesitate to say it's just some non threatening thing. Make more mutants to me sounds more like, "Make more things to feed off of and grow stronger." Do we even know if it won't decide to go and start feeding off non mutants?
    Can it? I thought that is specifically had to feed on mutants. At the very least with an ever supply of food, it has no reason to seek other sources of nutrition

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Fine. I'm here, Mercury. Happy now? :P

I'll post again something I wrote on another thread to my friend Hizashi (about a month ago, so parts of it are outdated):

**************SPOILERS from New Mutants #1**************

In New Mutants#1, which is written by Hickman himself, we see the characters drinking Krakoa coffee. It's established that they breathe, drink and eat Krakoa. Keep this info for now.

In the Starjammers’s ship, Mondo and Doug go looking for the biome (where Corsair planted the gate to the Summer House). Doug is holding another flower that the New Mutants will plant and use the gate to go back to Earth.

- Mondo: I'm gonna play in the dirt. Yeah. This is better. It's good to get that island [Krakoa] off me. It was itchy-- which ain't normal.
    - Doug: Yeah, I think there's more going on than I first thought. It's weird. On the island, I couldn't tell because Krakoa is everywhere and everything... But here in space, there's just the slightest pull between this existing gateway and this gateway flower almost as if…

Ch'od appears, carrying a machine.

- Ch'od: They're talking to each other.
    - Mond: Huh?
    - Ch'od: This is a closed biome - carefully regulated. It has to be. So when I started getting alerts that the helium, nitrogen and hydrogen mixtures were elevated, I came down here to see what was wrong with the equiment. But it wasn't the equipment -- it's some kind of reaction caused by their proximity. They want to terraform.
    - Doug: Well, we should be off the ship soon, right?
    - Ch'od: Look here. Do you see these dead pomum? They're a delicacy from my home planet that only ripen once a decade. It took me years to get this environment just right so they would grow here, and this was going to be the first time they were ready for harvest. Now they're dying.

So Ch'od gives them an ultimatum and Mondo puts the flower inside his belly and the weird effect stops.

(And since we’re talking about this issue, the way Rahne comes back to life is very different that what she’s feeling right now. She was feeling great and peaceful. Now it seems she finally remembered about her son and she’s a mess).

Now, I know this probably to set up the colony on Mars. But think about it… what if something like that was happening to the characters - if the fact that they literally consume Krakoa and Krakoa consume their psychic energy in return, if they were becoming an symbiotic organism - would they be able to tell? How would that be affecting their individuality, their critical thinking and their more complex emotions?

That would also explain this hive mentality they seem to display on some level: most of them feel exactly the same thing about Krakoa, like they're politicians keeping on message. It's creepy and weird... It could be just bad writing. It could be something more.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Can it? I thought that is specifically had to feed on mutants. At the very least with an ever supply of food, it has no reason to seek other sources of nutrition
    For what I remember, it needs to consume 2 mutants per year. But since it has lots of mutants living in it, it can drain a little bit of all of them and they don't normally feel it. In X-Men #3, though, the telepaths present at the QC meeting are feeling Krakoa's pain because the gate was down.

EDIT: The info is actually on the data page of the same issue.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 07-08-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Grinning Soul,

Have fun! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Except… except if it grows and needs more energy…

Well, I suppose the mutants are monitoring their “friend”.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Its taking there energy BUT with everything Krakoa has done I don't think its anything near EVIL.

I'm sure it has alterior motives though.

I don't know if Krakoa is evil, but it certain wants to keep as many mutants on it as possible.

--
    From X-men #7:

- Scott: Well? What did you find?
    - Kurt: I'm not sure. When I was younger -- if I were designing a place to live that was everything I wanted -- that building would have been it. I would have called it home, I think. It's perfect, Scott. Like everything here. Like the island made it just for me. Doesn't that make the hair on your arms stand up?
    --

It could be out of a misguided intention of doing good (the rationale: "If they're happy, they don't leave and I don't need to kill anyone anymore, I grow stronger and protect them better"). The question is, regardless of nefarious intent (or even any intention at all), is it manipulating them to be happy and compliant so they stay?

After all, altering someone's biochemistry can alter the way they feel and think.

To answer the question properly one would need to know what the definition of evil is in this case. Are we talking universal evil where innocent babies are thrown off walls (but people still did it.) or are we talking willing to keep mutants alive at all cost, evil, that would depend on perspective.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I don't know if Krakoa is evil, but it certain wants to keep as many mutants on it as possible.

--
    From X-men #7:

- Scott: Well? What did you find?
    - Kurt: I'm not sure. When I was younger -- if I were designing a place to live that was everything I wanted -- that building would have been it. I would have called it home, I think. It's perfect, Scott. Like everything here. Like the island made it just for me. Doesn't that make the hair on your arms stand up?
    --

It could be out of a misguided intention of doing good (the rationale: "If they're happy, they don't leave and I don't need to kill anyone anymore, I grow stronger and protect them better"). The question is, regardless of nefarious intent (or even any intention at all), is it manipulating them to be happy and compliant so they stay?

After all, altering someone's biochemistry can alter the way they feel and think.
    Don’t we provide everything sheep need to thrive? They are happy, the farmer is happy too. We have chosen the best specimens for our needs: gentle, a lot of wool…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe