Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Comes up more than one would think!

The OP's first post, Matter-Eater Lad, Drax, Hulk, Thing, Deadpool, Galactus, Blob, Volstagg, Egg Fu, Sabertooth, Cheetah, Michelangelo, Eye-Scream, Condiment King ... Flaming Carrot, Tony Chu, the Tick had a couple, same with Dick Tracy, Bananaman ... man! Marvel has a lot of supers that eat weird stuff or have food-based powers!
    In Drax's case, he already had powers. Swallowing the gem only increased them.

Odd that he never actually passed the gem. A kidney stone powered by an infinity gem, so much story potential just left laying there!

Yeah, where the hell's the story of Drax passing a kidney stone. Like people would just eat that up.

Retired

Clearly some of you don't know how stones develop in the kidney. If it was just a matter of not swallowing anymore infinity gems, I'd be sitting pretty. Unfortunately, that doesn't figure into how the renal calculus is formed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Clearly some of you don't know how stones develop in the kidney. If it was just a matter of not swallowing anymore infinity gems, I'd be sitting pretty. Unfortunately, that doesn't figure into how the renal calculus is formed.
    How can we know for a fact that you haven't been snacking on Infinity Gems?

Silver Age Lex Luthor origin. Lex Luthor admired Superboy and was researching for a way to cure Superboy's weakness' to Kryptonite. Unfortunately a fire broke in his laboratory. Superboy managed to extinguish the fire but Lex lost his hair and became bald. He blamed Superboy for his hair loss. Lex was able to cure Superboy's weakness to kryptonite but he couldn't make his hair grow back?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Silver Age Lex Luthor origin. Lex Luthor admired Superboy and was researching for a way to cure Superboy's weakness' to Kryptonite. Unfortunately a fire broke in his laboratory. Superboy managed to extinguish the fire but Lex lost his hair and became bald. He blamed Superboy for his hair loss. Lex was able to cure Superboy's weakness to kryptonite but he couldn't make his hair grow back?
    Fair point.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    It's the principle of the thing!

I like how some super-heroes start with the code name first and then develop the powers after.
    I think this is what happened to every hero named something "man, woman, etc."

BANNED

Anyone in the New Universe line. The universe, without explanation, goes "white" for a moment. Some people get powers after that. Others don't, but still get comics devoted to them. None of them have comics after issue 33 or so.

Retired

I think if I was in high school and hoping to catch the eye of a girl I liked and then all of a sudden all my hair fell out and made me feel unattractive, I'd be pretty traumatized by that and become an outcast. I don't think it's the hair falling out that made Lex hate Superboy--it was that Lex admired Superboy and was trying to do something nice for him, but Superboy stupidly ruined everything and as a result Luthor's hair fell out.

So every time he looks in the mirror, Lex is reminded of how Superboy was such an idiot. So he can never recover from the trauma--he keeps re-experiencing the psychological wound. He probably wasn't stable to begin with, but that one bad day pushed him over the edge. I believe there were some reasons given why Luthor couldn't grow back hair--but even if he could, he probably wouldn't just because it fuels his hatred to be bald and have that reminder that Superboy is an idiot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Anyone in the New Universe line. The universe, without explanation, goes "white" for a moment. Some people get powers after that. Others don't, but still get comics devoted to them. None of them have comics after issue 33 or so.
    I know New Universe has a bad rap but those early issues that Shooter had control over were fantastic.

Astonishing Member

Red Sonja has a dark and stupid origin. She gets raped, is given knowledge on sword fighting by a Goddess or something so long as she only has sex with men who can beat her. If the me too movement ever hear about her origin...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It's the principle of the thing!
    You mean like Dr. Doom got his face scarred in a lab accident and blamed it on Reed Richards who tried to tell him that his calculations were incorrect?

Dr. Doom could have used science or sorcery to restore his face. But his reasons for not using sorcery was explained in a Secret Wars Comic, in which the Enchantress offered to restore his face but Doom refused her offer, stating that he knew enough about the dark side of sorcery and was not foolish to pay the price that would cost him. Perhaps he learned from his mother's lesson. The only time I recall Doom restored his face was when he used the Beyonder's power in Secret Wars comic.

Doom was able to invent many things including a time machine, but he was not smart enough to reconstruct his face without using plastic surgery?

Retired

Magic word. Alien origin. Power device. Accident. Mutation. By mouth.
    Injection.

I ought to have added that.

The original Whizzer got his super-speed from an injection of mongoose blood. Given his codename, it was probably a good thing it was just mongoose blood. Whizzer makes me think of another body fluid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I know New Universe has a bad rap but those early issues that Shooter had control over were fantastic.
    No, they were actually really bad, imo. Plots were thin, the concept was flimsy. There was nothing about this that showed promise,