Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Given that Episode 3 went to town suggesting that Coulson is bi and has the hots for Thor I'm surprised they didn't follow up on that in such a Thor centric episode since he was there. Or are they suggesting that sexuality is itself a variant thing? (I mean Colossus in the Ultimate Universe was gay I believe unlike his 616 counterpart.)

Honestly it's my favorite episode of the season. It's just a fun romp and I actually liked Thor and Jane in this one.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-22-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I didn't like this episode. It wasn't interesting and I found it embarrassing to watch. At least it gave the charisma vacuum known as Carol some personality, it had Howard and it was cool seeing Loki actually being a frost giant. After from the high that was the Killmonger episode this was incredibly disappointing

I thought this one was fine. It was meant to be fun and light-hearted, especially with the "we have to clean up before mom gets here" sequence, so I'm not going to hold it up to much scrutiny. Like, how does Thor growing up an only child lead to all those various characters partying there together? Did he bring peace to the universe by partying? Either way, I'm fine just going with it.

The villain at the end was certainly interesting - is that a Vision/Ultron combo or is it just Ultron? (since the body was originally meant for him) Seems silly for him to wear an Ultron body for armor since the Vision body should actually be tougher than any Ultron body... I hope we'll get some followup to all these cliffhangers when the "team" comes together.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-22-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Who knew Thor not having Loki for a brother from the start would lead him into basically a wild teen party movie?

Seriously though, it has all the halmarks...dad's asleep, mom's going away, she forbids parties...so of course the main character has to throw a wild teen party where he gets into romcom hijinks with the female lead. And apparently without Loki as a brother Thor is even more immature, never gets his lesson in humility, and...doesn't grow facial hair.

I'm kind of surprised they got Natalie Portman back for this. I guess coming back for Love and Thunder helped. And of course Kat Dennings as Darcy.

It was nice to see Sif and the Warrior's Three again even if none of them got a lot more to do here than they did in the movies other than Fandral (voiced by Max Mittelman, woo hoo!) having a thing for goats or Fred Tatasciore's Volstagg getting laughed at by Fred Tatasciore's Drax.

Am I mis-remembering but did Jane not even know about SHIELD originally in the first Thor movie? Selvig knew about them? And then she just calls them here? I was kind of disappointed they just name-dropped Selvig.

Thor and Jane basically get more or less the same romance arc. I thought to myself that Jane probably wouldn't fall for an even more shallow version of Thor, and Thor wouldn't listen to Jane this time around because she taught him about being human the first time...but then he starts complimenting her and she falls head over heels immediately and starts getting into the party with him. I guess Thor and Jane is a universal constant?

Nicky Fury getting taken out by a partying Korg...well, that's a new one.

So many cameos in this episode (some voiced, some not)...we've got Korg, Miek, the Grandmaster, Topaz, Mantis, Nebula, Skrulls, Drax, Rocket, Surtur...probably some others I missed.

Surtur comes back, complete with Clancy Brown's voice, to flirt with the statue of liberty. Jeez, they're really not effective at taking MCU Surtur seriously.

Maria Hill looked more like Maria Hill here than she actually does in the movies. I think it's the bangs. Well, that and jumping immediately to the radical option to resolve threats like comic Hill would. Also Coulson and Rumlow, because I guess they're the only notable SHIELD agents that were not Avengers...anyone remember Sitwell?

The story didn't go the direction I thought it would with Frost Giant Loki being a villain that a more shallow version of Thor couldn't stop. Instead Thor and Loki seem even more buddy buddy and like brothers than they sometimes appear in the main universe. Loki also has a pretty dramatic personality change, becoming more like a dude bro. Although I guess Loki still screws with Thor in the end.

I guess with Fury out of commission he gave Maria permission to call Carol down to stop Thor so we can get Thor vs. Captain Marvel...and admittedly this is probably one of the more even fights we've seen with MCU Carol, give or take the fact that this Thor is comparatively weaker than the main universe counterpart we've followed and was relying mostly on Mjolnir and Carol was holding back to avoid any civilian casualties. At the same time he still had her pinned with Mjolnir. Kind of surprised Carol didn't screw him over at the end with Frigga, but I guess even she can have some fun.

Was Goose really Carol's cat? I think it was more Fury's and she just happened to name it...

Thor just had to comment on Carol's lack of a smile.

Man, it sure takes a while to Bifrost from Earth.

So things turned out surprisingly well for this episode, which I guess makes sense since it was 90% a comedy episode...Thor gets caught, his mom scolds him, he still gets the girl anyways...all the hallmarks of a teen romcom with a wild party...Uatu actually seems happy and then we get an invasion from Ultron in Vision's body, likely setting up the next episode and the Multiversal Avengers.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't say Loki totally screwed with Thor since we saw the frost giants reattach the giant wheel and returned the Gateway Arch before Frigga's visit.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 09-22-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I wouldn't say Loki totally screwed with Thor since we saw the frost giants reattach the giant wheel and returned the Gateway Arch before Frigga's visit.
    True...he was pretty quick to bail on him before he went full God of Thunder, though.

Extraordinary Member

Loved this episode!

Hemsworth and co must have had a fit doing the voice overs.

Little disappointed in the fight but Thor for the win. Party-poopers are not worthy
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Thor and Jane basically get more or less the same romance arc. I thought to myself that Jane probably wouldn't fall for an even more shallow version of Thor, and Thor wouldn't listen to Jane this time around because she taught him about being human the first time...but then he starts complimenting her and she falls head over heels immediately and starts getting into the party with him. I guess Thor and Jane is a universal constant?
    Yes. Yes it is

I guess with Fury out of commission he gave Maria permission to call Carol down to stop Thor so we can get Thor vs. Captain Marvel...and admittedly this is probably one of the more even fights we've seen with MCU Carol, give or take the fact that this Thor is comparatively weaker than the main universe counterpart we've followed and was relying mostly on Mjolnir and Carol was holding back to avoid any civilian casualties. At the same time he still had her pinned with Mjolnir. Kind of surprised Carol didn't screw him over at the end with Frigga, but I guess even she can have some fun.
    That’s her excuse, anyway. If Carol were really that worried about Earth she could have just flown then them both into space. As for Thor, there’s no evidence he was going full power either. After all, it’s a party not a war. (Though I suppose on Asgard the lines do blur somewhat).

Bottom line, Thor takes her out with the restrained solution of pinning her with Mjolnir.

Thor just had to comment on Carol's lack of a smile.
    Maybe if she did she could lift the hammer.

Oh yes, I went there

But yes, she gets in the mood at the end. Thor’s power to do good in the universe is truly amazing.

Man, it sure takes a while to Bifrost from Earth.
    The only thing really missing from the episode- the running scene music from the end of Ferris Buehller
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-22-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Did Heimdall send Frigga on the local? That was one looooong rainbow bridge ride for her at the end getting to earth...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Did Heimdall send Frigga on the local? That was one looooong rainbow bridge ride for her at the end getting to earth...
    I get the general impression that Heimdall kinda lets Thor get away with stuff until it gets out of hand. Or he would have never sent Thor, Loki and The Warriors Three to Jotunheim in the first movie.

So Heimdall probably did sent Frigga on the local to given Thor a chance to clean up Earth and avoid the Asgardian equivalent of being grounded.

Which might involved being tied to a giant tree with giant thorny vines or something knowing Asgardians, or more properly, Odin.

Can Loki always transform into a big blue giant? I feel like that would be useful for intimidating his enemies.

The open ending with the Ultrons and the previous zombie episode's open ending almost feels like they are setting up that "Marvel Zombies vs. Age of Ultron" crossover from "Secret Wars."
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was Goose really Carol's cat? I think it was more Fury's and she just happened to name it...
    Goose was Mar-Vel's cat, that Nick took at the end of Captain Marvel because it had swallowed the Tesseract.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Can Loki always transform into a big blue giant? I feel like that would be useful for intimidating his enemies.
    He's actually a big blue giant all the time, but we perceive him as a regular sized effete Englishman because he's using an illusion field.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    He's actually a big blue giant all the time, but we perceive him as a regular sized effete Englishman because he's using an illusion field.
    Magic supposedly doesn't work at the TVA headquarters though, so shouldn't Loki and Slyvie be big frost giants running around there? I feel like it wouod make more sense if Odin transformed him into a regular Asgardian form.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"