Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    My only quibble with this episode was how hard Thanos jobbed out. Though given what the premise of the episode was, I'll deal.

This episode could have had real pathos to it but, it kind of undermined itself with the jokes. That said, The Watcher's reaction to his situation was funny ( but I can't be sure it was intended that way).

I kinda hope part 2 will be longer but I don't think any episode has gone over an hour so I'm not expecting it.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    spoilers:
    First off this episode felt a tad lazy in establishing why Ultron-Vision has access to all the Infinity Stones, casually killing Thanos before he can do anything feels like bad writing when we see him literally attacking the same places he would have gotten the Stones in the next few scenes. I feel like this was only done to get around the issue of getting access to the Soul Stone since presumably Ultron-Vision wouldn't have anything to sacrifice on Volmir.
    end of spoilers
    I think that's a possible reason but when i watched it, I thought it was an answer Thor's 'should've gone for the head' mistake. Ultron is much more efficient than the heroes.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The timeline in the episode is a bit all over the place. Ego should be dead by the time Ultron-Vision takes care of him, plus how the heck did Thanos get the Time Stone without drawing attention to himself? I will admit that Ultron casually killing him was a bit funny, if continuing after Episode 2 to lessen him as a credible threat. Would still have loved to see a proper Infinity Stone mixed Thanos vs Ultron fight though.

spoilers:
    Who knew the literal Age of Ultron would also lead to the possible end of the Multiverse?

Man, the action was pretty phenomenal and fluid in this episode, from Hawkeye and Widow fighting the drones to Ultron vs. Uatu .

Look at everyone's circa AoU costumes! Thor has his beard, even! I think those were accurate, at least, aside from Widow who seems like she was missing her tron lines.

All respect to Ross Marquand....but he's no James Spader any more than Jim Meskimen was, so Ultron's voice really didn't do it for me here. On the plus side, the mask not covering his Vision mouth actually resembled Ultron's classic face more than the movie version did.

General Ross cameo, just in case you feel like Ross needed more karma in this show.

Never thought this story would require Natasha to return to her homeland, but she looks good with the Red Guardian shield! Alexei would be proud.

Wow, that was a pretty anti-climactic Thanos appearance. If it was that simple couldn't Vision have biscally bisected him or would normal Vision have been too "nice" to do that? How did he get the Power Stone if it seems like the Guardians still happened? Do they keep re-using his design without the armor because that's the only one they have a model for?

So Carol watched Terminator and Natasha loves Raiders of the Lost Ark. True women of culture.

Well, Ultron ends up going through the Marvel Cosmic Universe and killing a lot of name characters...the Guardians, Ego (kind of deserves it), Grandmaster, Korg, Miek, and he's about to finish Xandar when Carol shows up. Where was she when Thanos destroyed it? Also I guess even Carol couldn't face off against someone with all the Infinity Stones at their grasp.

So it turns Uatu screwed over the Multiverse because, just when Ultron is beginning to realize the futility of completing his mission, Uatu keeps narrating and Ultron with the Infinity Stones has enough cosmic awareness to hear him and then discover there are more universes to destroy. Uatu, you done goofed.

Who would have thought the key to stopping Ultron would be the Arnim Zola AI that was apparently stashed away in the Siberia base this whole time? Does this mean Zola really is still out there, somehow? And will this be as simple as Uatu grabbing this version of Natasha and Zola to finish Ultron?

A direct parallel to Natasha's sacrifice in Endgame where Clint's the one who lets go and sacrifices himself .

Seeing Uatu get to actually fight and battle Ultron across the Multiverse was pretty cool, especially the moment where they land in the world of President Steve and Ultron punches Uatu into different dimensions.

Welp, time for Uatu to enlist the help of Supreme Strange and the Multiversal Avengers to stop Ultron, who is very much not part of the natural order of things. Although somehow I get the feeling Supreme Strange might try to screw him over somehow...
    end of spoilers

That was one hell of a nerf for Thanos.

spoilers:
    I think an inherent problem with "What If...?" stories--not just this show, but in general--is how often they sprint through two or three intriguing ideas just to get to the story they want to tell.
    Like, Ultron beating the Avengers and going to war with Thanos for the Infinity Stones would be a cool episode in itself. Ultron with the Stones having a crazy fight with Captain Marvel that ends up destroying the universe sounds awesome.

But those aren't the stories they want to tell here, so Thanos goes out like a punchline and Carol's fight only last thirty seconds--both of which are breezed by within the first five minutes of the episode.
    And it's hard to get a sense of stakes in these things when characters' power/skill levels vary wildly from story to story to suit the plot.

But I guess that just goes with the territory. You're not watching What If...? for it to make sense or be consistent. You're just going for the ride.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 09-29-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    spoilers:
    I think an inherent problem with "What If...?" stories--not just this show, but in general--is how often they sprint through two or three intriguing ideas just to get to the story they want to tell.
    Like, Ultron beating the Avengers and going to war with Thanos for the Infinity Stones would be a cool episode in itself. Ultron with the Stones having a crazy fight with Captain Marvel that ends up destroying the universe sounds awesome.

But those aren't the stories they want to tell here, so Thanos goes out like a punchline and Carol's fight only last thirty seconds--both of which are breezed by within the first five minutes of the episode.
    And it's hard to get a sense of stakes in these things when characters' power/skill levels vary wildly from story to story to suit the plot.

But I guess that just goes with the territory. You're not watching What If...? for it to make sense or be consistent. You're just going for the ride.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah it breaks my heart to hear the writers say they'd originally planned the episodes to be longer before Lockdown forced the reduction in time. Granted not every episode needs to be an hour, but a sizable number would really benefit from it, especially for this one. Not even that hard to plan out.

* Ultron-Vision goes through the records of the Battle of New York and figures out the Infinity Stones. Maybe Tony like a chump points him in that direction before he dies (again).
    * He probably tackles the Time Stone first, using data to determine its location and takes out Doctor Voodoo before the Ancient One can react. The Time Stone lets him learn where the other stones are.
    * Meanwhile Thanos gets wind of Ultron-Vision's plans and hits Knowwhere and Volmir as Ultron attacks Asgard, fighting and killing Loki disguised as Odin with ease. Now he has the Space Stone. But as he arrives on Xandar... ah, Thanos is there, with the Reality Stone, Power Stone and Soul Stone.
    * We get an epic destructive Thanos vs Ultron-Vision fight, 3 against 3 stones. Captain Marvel turns up to stop both but only ends up wounding Thanos, which gives Ultron-Vision the win.

See, with some time they could have included all that, saving the Ultron-Vision vs Utau fight for the very end of the episode, having Ultron immediately be able to target and attack him. Maybe even think with access to infinite universes, infinite Infinity Stones... Something like that anyway.
    end of spoilers

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Ultron of this episode reminded me a lot of the Ultron from Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The Ultron of this episode reminded me a lot of the Ultron from Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
    Design-wise he did kind of look like that Ultron/Sigma fusion.

Voice-wise I think Ross Marquand sounded more like Jim Meskimen than James Spader.

my name isn't Francis (i swear!) and i've probably never met anyone named Francis, but... between this and Deadpool, I never got what was so funny about that name. Its a regular abet european sounding name to me.

Even in alternate realities, Clint seems destined to get that same stupid haircut he had in Endgame.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Even in alternate realities, Clint seems destined to get that same stupid haircut he had in Endgame.
    For some reason this is the most blonde MCU Clint has ever looked to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For some reason this is the most blonde MCU Clint has ever looked to me.
    Me too. I suspect it's the lighting

I would like to apologize for the recent development that I am sure many of you here are already aware of. It was my lack of foresight, a quality that I thought I possessed in abundance, which unleashed this threat upon the Multiverse.

My word may not mean much anymore since I am now an oath breaker but I promise that I will do all I can to stop this calamity that threatens you and everything else in Existence. Whatever it takes.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Mighty Member

I thought that it was established in Loki that the infinity stones don't work in another universes
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !