Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I can see not caring for it in comparison to the other episodes...but worst thing the MCU has put out in a long time just seems like bad hyperbole.
    Is it though? Whats the worst piece of content they've put out in the last 5 years? Their content has largely been good to amazing. I think Age of Ultron back in 2015 was arguably the last thing they released that I had mixxed feelings about and everything since has been better than this episode. I dont think thats hyperbole at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    As a proud "Anti-Captain Marvel manbaby" (I guess since not liking a comic book movie makes you a manbaby...
    Well no, not liking a movie doesn't make anyone a manbaby. That's personal taste, no problems with that at all. It's perhaps an unusual thing to be "proud" of, but I wasn't referring to anyone that just didn't care for the film.

I meant the proper manbabies, the kind of guys who had/have it in for Brie Larson personally, and then by association Captain Marvel. Basically just cos she said some stuff they disagreed with. Not least of which, suggesting in an interview that Carol was stronger than Thor. They're the one's cheering that scene. And a quick scan of Twitter the day after it aired only confirmed that.

OK, Bradley stuck in that line about Carol not going all out, but when push came to shove, Thor was still the one standing over Carol at the end of the fight. And that was all the angry dudebros ever wanted to see.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 09-25-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It's the difference between someone who might think that Brie is miscast in the role and has legit issues with her movie and the whiney actual man baby types who think death threats and full on sexism is somehow okay. I thought Captain Marvel's writers mostly hit the right line with the level of feminism in comparison to what Brie can be like. Anyone who takes issue with her role but can at least respect others feel differently isn't a man baby. Honestly I think I've warmed to her more in the role as time has gone one and I really hope her sequel can rectify any mistakes with her character in her original movie. The hardest challenge is going to be dispelling her being a Deus Ex Machina that isn't much of a team player. But that's just me.

Regardless, Captain Marvel vs Thor in What If? was fun. I think they did a good job of showing they're about the same in power, and I don't honestly fret about one being more powerful than the other anyway. It's possible we'll be getting another Man vs Woman Hero Showdown this Wednesday with Iron Man vs Gamora.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It's the difference between someone who might think that Brie is miscast in the role and has legit issues with her movie and the whiney actual man baby types who think death threats and full on sexism is somehow okay. I thought Captain Marvel's writers mostly hit the right line with the level of feminism in comparison to what Brie can be like. Anyone who takes issue with her role but can at least respect others feel differently isn't a man baby. Honestly I think I've warmed to her more in the role as time has gone one and I really hope her sequel can rectify any mistakes with her character in her original movie. The hardest challenge is going to be dispelling her being a Deus Ex Machina that isn't much of a team player. But that's just me.

Regardless, Captain Marvel vs Thor in What If? was fun. I think they did a good job of showing they're about the same in power, and I don't honestly fret about one being more powerful than the other anyway. It's possible we'll be getting another Man vs Woman Hero Showdown this Wednesday with Iron Man vs Gamora.
    That's what I took away from the fight too.

They are just about equal except that Thor has an uber weapon which he used (cleverly) in their first fight.

The episode really made Captain Marvel look good too especially with that bit at the end.

I was just happy to see Carol have a challenge for once that isn't Thanos with the Power Stone.

She's still missing the sash though.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    They are just about equal except that Thor has an uber weapon which he used (cleverly) in their first fight.
    Actually, how did that happen? I haven't seen the first Thor movie for a while, but was it established before Odin put the whole Worthy thing on MewMew that only Thor could pick it up? Did the enchantment just kinda double down on Thor's worthiness to wield it, but prior to that he was still the only one who could pick it up anyway?

Because obviously that particular enchantment isn't on this MewMew, given that Thor clearly wasn't especially worthy for most of the episode. And more importantly, the events that led to Odin enchanting the hammer in the first place didn't happen in this universe. On which basis, why couldn't Carol move it?
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Actually, how did that happen? I haven't seen the first Thor movie for a while, but was it established before Odin put the whole Worthy thing on MewMew that only Thor could pick it up? Did the enchantment just kinda double down on Thor's worthiness to wield it, but prior to that he was still the only one who could pick it up anyway?

Because obviously that particular enchantment isn't on this MewMew, given that Thor clearly wasn't especially worthy for most of the episode. And more importantly, the events that led to Odin enchanting the hammer in the first place didn't happen in this universe. On which basis, why couldn't Carol move it?
    Good point.

You're right that the enchanment came after Thor's exile to Earth in the first film.

I honestly don't know how Mjolnir worked in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Good point.

You're right that the enchanment came after Thor's exile to Earth in the first film.

I honestly don't know how Mjolnir worked in this universe.
    I thought it had something to do with Uru and how heavy it's supposed to be. It was hard enough that it could actually effectively hit her despite how strong she is.

The only barometer we have for people being able to wield it is after the worthiness enchantment and that just includes Cap, Vision, and Thor himself. I think Odin was the only one who wielded the hammer before he put the enchantment on it so that only someone worthy could wield it.

Of course now we also know that Mjolnir was apparently just a means of channeling Thor's inner power (if I remember Ragnarok right).

I don't think we saw anyone lift Mjolnir prior to the "worthiness" enchantment, so it's possible it was already enchanted so that only Thor could lift it, along with returning to his hand. BUT the events of the Thor movie,(that didn't happen in this What If) made Odin add the part about being "worthy" with Thor's exile .... so, No-Prize?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think we saw anyone lift Mjolnir prior to the "worthiness" enchantment, so it's possible it was already enchanted so that only Thor could lift it, along with returning to his hand. BUT the events of the Thor movie,(that didn't happen in this What If) made Odin add the part about being "worthy" with Thor's exile .... so, No-Prize?
    That honestly makes sense.

Looks like we might be getting a two parter for What If. Next episode on Wednesday will apparently be about Ultron-Vision.

Makes me wonder if the Iron Man on Sakaar episode is the one they pushed back to next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Looks like we might be getting a two parter for What If. Next episode on Wednesday will apparently be about Ultron-Vision.

Makes me wonder if the Iron Man on Sakaar episode is the one they pushed back to next season.
    Doesn't that one also have Thanos!Gamora? Maybe they're fused together.

Damnnnnnnn.

https://ew.com/tv/marvel-what-if-ac-...ews-episode-8/

They confirm here that the delayed episode is the Tony Stark on Sakaar one.
    Last edited by Derek Metaltron; 09-28-2021 at 10:01 AM.

So Episode 8... Firstly I want to say I am currently suffering with two blocked ears so I can barely hear stuff so I am extremely grateful to Disney+ for having solid subtitles. Even so I could tell they picked a good alternate to James Spader for Ultron. Anyway....

spoilers:
    We have a genuine two-parter! First off this episode felt a tad lazy in establishing why Ultron-Vision has access to all the Infinity Stones, casually killing Thanos before he can do anything feels like bad writing when we see him literally attacking the same places he would have gotten the Stones in the next few scenes. I feel like this was only done to get around the issue of getting access to the Soul Stone since presumably Ultron-Vision wouldn't have anything to sacrifice on Volmir. But I think it would have been more interesting if they used the first episode to show him gradually getting the Stones and maybe fighting Thanos for them, which would have been more epic. It's somewhat made up for with a fun Ultron-Vision vs Watcher fight, which I thought was pretty epic. I like how they managed to feature the universe they wanted to with the President Steve Rogers reality. Utau's increasing desperation here is well done, and I like how he returns to Supreme Strange at the end - possibly the best one to fight Ultron-Vision at this stage with Utau's help?

The plotline with Natasha and Clint was well done though it's completely overshadowed by the Utau stuff. I like the fact they managed to sneak in the awesome Red Guardian shield and getting Zola-Ultron as an unlikely ally was bemusing, Toby seemed to enjoy himself. Hope he's in the next episode! Clint's sacrifice was also suitably heartbreaking and probably the best alternate death in the show so far (felt like it had weight for once). I feel like this story would have been better if they'd let the final two-parter be an hour each episode so they could do this reality's story properly and save the bulk of the Multiverse Avengers stuff for an equally epic finale.
    end of spoilers

Loved this episode and I hope Part 2 is longer.

spoilers:
    Seeing Uatu cut loose was cool as hell. Happens so rarely in the comcis so it was nice to see it here. Also when Ultron makes his head huge was that a Galactus wink and Nod? The size of his head plus the shape of it because the helmet made him look Galactus esque to me. Probably reading too much into it. Anyway Ultron and Galactus crashing through realities was beautiful. My favorite bit of animation from this show yet. This art style grows on me more with every episode. Really shines wit the more fantastical stuff
    end of spoilers