Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950 LastLast

It's funny how they handled introducing this segment. Like Uatu going "hey, remember Thanos Gamora from the finale of last season? Well, let's look back and do her story now because we totally skipped over it." And because of that you can't easily slot this into season 1 like it should be because they basically talk as if you'd already watched season 1. It's a mess.

Heck, Gamora isn't even the lead character in this, Tony is, though she is basically the co-lead more or less. But I guess the What If Christmas gift was several episodes where Tony doesn't die and also one where he really gets to strut his hero stuff as Iron Man.

So really this is What If Iron Man got blasted to Sakaar after Avengers 1? Though honestly that makes me wonder how many things would change on Earth with Tony gone. Would IM3 happen differently? Would there be no Avengers Tower? Would the team have gone in a different direction? At what point in Phase 2 would Tony have made it back?

This episode was worth it just for Tony going toe-to-toe with the Grandmaster. It's not exactly RDJ vs Jeff Goldblum, but it'll do. Add in sci-fi death race, and you've got plenty to enjoy.

Here's Korg because you can never have too much Korg (supposedly). At least having him in a Sakaar episode makes sense. It's kind of funny how he, Valkyrie, and another Avenger always end up taking down the Grandmaster.

So the Grandmaster totally would have found an excuse to keep Tony there with or without him interfering, right?

It's funny how they shove Tony and Gamora into a lovenest room when they've actually slept together in the comics.

One thing that made me wonder...wasn't Gamora already working against her father by this point? Would she really be so bent on killing someone on her fathers' orders or for his honor like this?

"Demon in a bottle" - It's funny because Tony said it himself.

I love more Topaz screentime. Her excited yell being in the same monotone was priceless.

Tony and Gamora relating over their daddy issues and trying to surpass them was not what I was expecting, but it surprisingly worked.

Is there anything more Iron Man than an armor that can transform into a car? How about an Arc Reactor Nitro Boost?

Honestly Valkyrie as King of Sakaar (at least MCU Sakaar) fits better than her ruling what's left of Asgard. Though are they so fixated on making her king as breaking gender norms or just because she's so masculine and would probably take up a more feminine queen?

I'm going to believe that the reason they didn't finish this episode was because they had to take the time to make up Thanos' armor. And they didn't even really animate it, just his face! Though really it should take more to take down Thanos, but I guess that's par for the course for What If. Of course he's the only one who actually recognizes Tony as Iron Man.

I guess even Elders of the Universe can survive getting reduced to a puddle.

Re: "What if ... Peter Quill attacked Earth's Mightiest Heroes?"
    - I loved the idea of an 80s Avengers team and figuring out who would've been around to get involved. Great seeing Goliath in the mix, but too bad we didn't get the Ancient One pitching in as well.
    - They threw around a few 80s references, but it could've been a lot more fun if they actually made it more like an 80s movie.
    - Cool seeing some of these characters interacting - Peggy and Howard seeing the Winter Soldier was chilling. I've always thought it should've made sense for Tony to have known Peggy growing up, but I get why they chose not to have that connection. Steve knowing Tony's dad was enough.
    - Man, what a heavy-hitter movie star lineup for this ep! I thought maybe one of them would've been a soundalike, but nope - Marvel got them all back.
    - Too bad Bucky didn't stick around to be on the team. Peter's just a kid, but he was used to kill ... milions(?) If that ever sinks in, he could use someone like Bucky to talk to who's going through the same thing.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

After watching the first 5 episodes this season is a shadow if the first. I would only consider the Nebula and Peter Quill episodes good. The other 3 rate from lame to just awful. The Grandmaster episode was especially putrid.

Once again proving that Peggy Carter loves doing Steve Rogers' greatest hits 90% the same, we've even got her leading an Avengers team in the Battle of New York with almost the exact same roster Steve did. Just with Wasp instead of Hulk. I mean, it's great that we finally get a Wasp on an Avengers team, though it was probably Hope instead of Janet.

Also Tony ends up normal Iron Man and Bruce is seemingly not The Hulk but affiliated with The Avengers...I was kind of expecting more divergences. Then again, they heavily diverged when it came to anything Cap and Black Widow related.

"I usually don't do sequels" - well, there goes hope for sequels to your favorite episode! Captain Carter is just too special I guess.

The Peggy/Natasha Gal Pals dynamic is in full force in this episode. Honestly I feel like Natasha interacted with Peggy more in this episode than she did any other female hero in any of the movies (I don't count Yelena).

I love how Peggy has seen Star Wars through to ESB but not Robocop.

Lake Bell still selling Natasha's snark as well as she sells Poison Ivy's! She even gets to speak some Russian! And did I mention how much I love the Winter Soldier design for Black Widow?

So is the idea that in this universe Widow successfully killed Dreykov which let Melina step up and lead the Red Room and go full villain like she is in the comics? Honestly I actually prefer it that way, she's a much better villain than Dreykov and Rachel Weisz played her really well here. The only thing I would've wanted is for them to call her "Iron Maiden."

Dang Widow, knowing your gal pals' boyfriend has secretly been turned into a ruthless killing machine by your organization is usually a good thing to reveal earlier.

Old Man Bucky in Pierce's position is pretty neat, and watching him try to help Steve was great. I kind of wondered who he married though.

So is Rumlow like...not Hydra here? I guess they really did a better job cleaning up Hydra in this universe, SHIELD looks safe. Kind of surreal they keep bringing Frank Grillo back despite how disappointed he was with how little they used him as Crossbones.

Wow, way to confide in your teammates, Peggy! Honestly I get where Tony and Bruce might come off a little "mad scientist-y" but they probably would have been able to get to the heart of the issue and come up with a more practical solution for saving Steve. I feel like Peggy rushes into things and more half-cocked than Steve would have.

Where were these Americana robots in the BW movie? Also, was it Natasha just being snarky or in this universe was she actually living on the Red Room floating fortress? It seemed newer in her own movie.

Using her 3rd grade injury against her! Low blow for a mom, Melina!

Melina vs Natasha was 10x better than the actual final fight in the Black Widow movie.

Once again the only way to stop a brainwashed loved one is to stop fighting, though honestly Peggy's plea sounded more desperate and heartrending. Like she not only didn't want to fight Steve but she was just so desperate to stop fighting like all her bravado is just a mask to hide how depressed and lonely she is. I guess it was kind of true for Steve too but he didn't really express it like that.

You know it's bad when Uatu breaks character.

I love how Peggy gets roped into the 1602 episode by Merlin Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen!) and 1602 Fury. Her English blood calls for her to save the queen!

Melina taking over the Red Room makes perfect sense. It's too bad we didn't get to see Yalena. (I was half expecting her to show up as Taskmaster)

This season has not been kind to Asgard, but I guess the death of Asgard was the best thing to ever happen to the Mohawk people.

It's nice to see them treat Surtur as a serious threat instead of comedy relief.

Pretty cool that this is the MCU's first truly original Superhero and character, and a Native hero at that. Though now I can only wonder how soon before they transition her into the comics or the main MCU Universe.

Also that commitment to have the characters all speak in their native language! Only saving English for the Watcher and the special guest star! They even color-coded the subtitles! Sure some of the translations read a little more like MCU dialogue than period-dialogue, but it still worked!

Kahhori's origin story hits all the classic beats...energetic and idealistic young woman stumbles into an environment for giving powers, tragedy strikes, and she begins her journey to become a Superhero.

These people are like the children of Quicksilver and Jean Grey with the super speed and telekinesis. Really their only weakness seems to be they can only control/hold back so much, otherwise they're pretty much unstoppable.

They didn't really need to humanize the Conquistador, but I liked the scene where he was genuinely concerned for his men.

I don't know why but Kahhori's training montage gave me Disney Princess vibes...

Anyone else get some vibes between Kahhori and Atahraks?

So if the Space Stone created some kind of Spirit World in it's energies, does that imply that Valhalla was also born from the Space Stone? Does it create these kind of eternal afterlifes? And does that make Kahhori and her people kind of the legacy of the Asgardian Gods? Almost like the Third World transitioning into the Fourth World?

Is Kahhori meant to be a prodigy or was her having a bullet wound when she entered into the pool mean the power seeped into her more than it did the others? Or maybe she was chosen?

Wow, I wouldn't want to be pounded into the sand by telekinesis.

So, obviously the big thing in this universe is that the Native Americans are now super powerful, possibly immortal, beings and the new dominating force on Earth only held back by their own ideals and morality...but how far will that go? How much will this shape the balance of power on Earth? Will there never be an America and the consequences to that? I feel like the only world power that could match them are Wakanda (who should be around by now, right?) and the Eternals.

Just like with Wanda last episode the credits basically spoiled the special guest at the end, but Strange Supreme was a nice surprise. Uatu wasn't surprised to see him so I'm guessing he knows what Strange is after. Does he need Kahhori for something involving Killmonger and Ultron?

Ultimate Member

Wow, that seventh episode just defied all my expectations! Great hearing Cate Blanchett again.

What If Hela had been put through Thor 1? They even recreate the moment where Thor tries in vain to lift Mjolnir when she tries to lift her helmet. Like brother like sister, I guess. Or father like daughter, like when Odin catches and destroys Mjolnir like Hela did in Ragnarok.

Though I have to say it felt kind of weird to have an inscription palced on Hela's helmet like it's Thor's hammer.

They didn't really have time to unpack the whole "Hela is Odin's daughter and firstborn" part of Ragnarok, so it was nice to see that explored more even if I can't say I quite loved the execution of it.

I can't believe they got Cate Blanchett in their Disney+ streaming show...or Idris Elba, even if Heimdall only had, like, three lines. Though the Shang-Chi cast don't fare near as well though the sound-a-likes for Odin, Wenwu, and Jiayi aren't half-bad.

Hela and the Mandarin hooking up? That's certainly a change from the comics.

I will say this much, Hela looks amazing in Asian wear!

Honestly where I feel like the episode fails is trying to spin Hela as a character that can be redeemed or was worth redeeming because I feel like it had to fundamentally change who her character is and what she represents. Like I can't believe someone who genuinely came off as a complete psychopath and who genuinely enjoyed the death and destruction so much would ever really turn over a new leaf. They obviously try to spin it that Odin raising her that way is why she ended up like that but that doesn't change that she fundamentally came to accept that part of herself and I don't see a training arc being enough to undo that or make her turn into a complete 180 of a character. It just didn't feel like Hela.

And also they had to really jump through hoops to make Odin come off like the bad guy. Like, Wenwu shouldn't have the 10 Rings? I mean, he was kind of a bad guy and conqueror back then so...yeah? Unless the issue was just that humans shouldn't have the 10 Rings but that's a whole 'nother topic. Odin thought Hela was going too far and tried to teach her a lesson but suddenly he's being overzealous and acting like she was (maybe this was the point, but it felt hollow knowing what Hela was really like and downplays her own culpability in it). It's not that I don't understand what they were trying to go for, it just felt very unnecessary and missing the point of Hela's appeal as one of the MCU's few unabashed and purely evil female villains.

Also it just makes Ragnarok into an unintentional tragedy because now Thor's casual dismissal of Hela looks worse when really if she had been given a chance she would've been 10x the hero he was.

Oh, and now Hela is White Hela, as if she's Raven from Teen Titans. Because nothing says dark character turned pure like a white costume.

And it turns out Hela becoming a good guy is the best thing that could ever happen because she and Wenwu become universal saviors that even end up saving Gamora from Thanos and freeing the Nine Realms from Asgardian Tyranny (?). Making the main MCU look pretty worse by comparison. Really the only negative is Shang-Chi and his sister are never born in this timeline, otherwise it's much better than the main timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly where I feel like the episode fails is trying to spin Hela as a character that can be redeemed or was worth redeeming because I feel like it had to fundamentally change who her character is and what she represents. Like I can't believe someone who genuinely came off as a complete psychopath and who genuinely enjoyed the death and destruction so much would ever really turn over a new leaf. They obviously try to spin it that Odin raising her that way is why she ended up like that but that doesn't change that she fundamentally came to accept that part of herself and I don't see a training arc being enough to undo that or make her turn into a complete 180 of a character. It just didn't feel like Hela.
    One of the things I like about this series is the unexpected pairings of characters -- and doing it for more than just because they can jam in anyone they want. This series tells an actual story with the pairing and for Hela to undergo the "Thor" humility treatment with Wenwu and Ta Lo was really fun. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd see the Mandarin punching Odin in the face - but here we are!

I'm not sure why you feel Hela was "pure evil." She had a job to do and is Odin's daughter, whom he kept around for a long time. It wouldn't make sense for him to raise a being of pure evil and let her command his armies with him. And in "Ragnarok" she was pissed for how she was treated. Was she that much worse than how Loki started? He got a redemption arc as well despite all the bloody mayhem he revelled in. (what was the line from Avengers - he killed 80 people in two days?) Hela was only in the one movie, so who knows what might've happened had she been in more. I always skip the opening, so I didn't think they'd get Cate Blanchett at first, but I recognized her voice at some point and have to imagine she had a fun time playing this character for more laughs this time around. (and without having to wear such a restrictive outfit)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One of the things I like about this series is the unexpected pairings of characters -- and doing it for more than just because they can jam in anyone they want. This series tells an actual story with the pairing and for Hela to undergo the "Thor" humility treatment with Wenwu and Ta Lo was really fun. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd see the Mandarin punching Odin in the face - but here we are!

I'm not sure why you feel Hela was "pure evil." She had a job to do and is Odin's daughter, whom he kept around for a long time. It wouldn't make sense for him to raise a being of pure evil and let her command his armies with him. And in "Ragnarok" she was pissed for how she was treated. Was she that much worse than how Loki started? He got a redemption arc as well despite all the bloody mayhem he revelled in. (what was the line from Avengers - he killed 80 people in two days?) Hela was only in the one movie, so who knows what might've happened had she been in more. I always skip the opening, so I didn't think they'd get Cate Blanchett at first, but I recognized her voice at some point and have to imagine she had a fun time playing this character for more laughs this time around. (and without having to wear such a restrictive outfit)
    I feel like at least Loki from the outset had beneficial intentions even if he went off the deep end, but the implication was Hela went so past the deep end that it set Odin on a better path when he banished her.

She really isn't a character I think needed a redemption story and attempting it just felt forced. I feel like her leading everybody on to get her powers back would've been more in-character.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

1602 episode was great fun but man they seriously wasted the chance to have Elizabeth Olsen return to voice Wanda since she barely does anything. Also what was the deal with that skull, they were implying it had significance for a moment and then nothing…

What If has been good this season but there’s been some plot holes like how SHIELD has a Hulk cell in the 1988 Avengers episode decades before Hulk will be a thing…

They finally did one of the most iconic What If stories of all time, the 1602 episode! And of course that's the episode where they bring back Hiddleston/Loki to quote Shakespeare and wax poetic about Iago.

Admittedly they use the idea that a bunch of different elements (Asgardians, tech, people, powers) to handwave away a lot of the traditional elements from the main universe into a more medieval setting, so they don't commit as hard to the setting as, say, Neil Gaiman did in the actual comic...but then again, Neil Gaiman is Neil Gaiman and the What If writers are...the What If writers.

Also I'm sure some might call foul that there are no X-Men or FF in this universe, unlike the comic, but that was never going to happen.

Another Queen Hela? Man, they really want to commit to this idea that Hela wasn't really that evil and could've been good all along. Also the MCU doesn't really seem to love the idea of Thor as a king...though any excuse for Hemsworth's Thor to wear the helmet for an entire episode and be more serious is okay in my book.

No wonder the Watcher doesn't do sequels! Apparently the Guardians of the Multiverse can actually see/hear him so he can't get away with his monologue around them.

Mage Scarlet Witch was really cool. It was just nice to see a heroic version of Wanda again.

"Because I'm Captain Carter!" Well, that basically sums up like 90% of Peggy's character on this show and how the show treats her. Although what variant of Captain America wouldn't do everything they could even for a doomed universe? Though that reminds me that Peggy doesn't even have a codename, she's just "Captain Peggy Carter."

I do appreciate how much this version of Happy committed to the 1602 bit, and it seems like Happy being The Freak is another staple "What If" thing like Peggy as Captain Carter. And we finally got to see him fight The Hulk! And he did surprisingly well!

Medieval Destroyer looked fantastic!

Rogers Hood? Count on the most American man of all time to be stealing from the British aristocracy to give to the poor (I think?). And of course the moment Peggy sees a version of Steve Rogers they're all over each other. There has to be at least one universe where he ends up with Sharon though, right? Right!?

Where did they get all the Yellowjackets from? Where's their version of Cross? Then again, I guess the natural endgoal would be to mass-produce his serum.

I feel like Mick Wingert could've done a more medieval-inspired take on Tony's voice instead of just...Tony's voice. Ditto Paul Rudd as Scott. Actually I'm surprised it took us this long to see Scott.

Mark Ruffalo voicing an actually tortured version of Bruce Banner...for all of five seconds.

Thor with a sword is surprisingly effective.

I figured the Forerunner would be Steve, not only because in the actual 1602 comics he was also a time traveler, but also because it would be the best way to make things hit home for Peggy and dash all the confidence and bravado she had in trying to resolve everything by adding some tragedy to it. I also wondered how he looked like a Steve with the Super Soldier Serum, and it's because he's straight up a version of Steve from the Infinity War transported thanks to grazing the Time Stone.

That scene with Thor during the sacrifice scene was kind of weird...like he was all "do it Carter!" And then goading her on and then he was just kind of happy at her having to sacrifice the love of her life...again.

So Strange Supreme is recruiting Peggy too for whatever he's got going on. Is he making a new team with Peggy, Kahhori, and possibly other characters who've appeared this season (Kid Star-Lord, White Hela, Nova Nebula?). But why? I assume Uatu knows this has to happen otherwise he would've just ported Peggy back to her Earth instead of leaving her for Strange.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They finally did one of the most iconic What If stories of all time, the 1602 episode!
    I laughed and laughed at Happy and all his medieval Victorian insults. "Knave! Churl! Jack-a-napes!" I wanted to slow down and rewatch those scenes in slow-mo to try and catch all the rennfaire-slang he was spewing!

If there's gonna be a Robin Hood, it shoulda been Clint/Hawkeye, IMO. I like a 'Merry Men' that includes Bucky and Lang, but the whole 'Peggy and Steve get snatched away from each other as one has to sacrifice themselves to save the day' plot was OVER back in the First Avenger. It was great. I'm done with it. I really got drawn out of the drama in that scene and was like, 'Move on. I've seen this. Boo frikkin' hoo. You kissed once, seventy years ago, buy a damn jet-pack and get over it.'

Although now I wonder about that scene in Agent Carter where Peggy gets over Steve as she dumps the vials of his blood into the bay. Do you want super-soldier sharks, Peg? That's how you get super-soldier sharks!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The finale was epic! I appreciate that they didn’t just copy Season One and elected to make a character piece with Peggy and Stephen and do more crazy what if stuff like 1872/Cowboy Loki and Cyborg Rocket Raccoon. I bet Netherealm is looking at the finale and thinking who inspired who with the last MK game (though that was probably inspired by Endgame).

Can’t believe they got Cate Blanchett for three whole episodes as three different takes on Hela and yet wasted Eliz Olsen with a bit piece for 1602 and even having the Zombie Wanda back to add insult to injury. Also guessing they didn’t want to pay Jordan and Brolin for more lines with Infinity Killmonger and Thanos.

Kohori I have to say felt a bit of a third wheel in this episode outside using her powers at the end. I am sure the MSheU types are foaming at the mouth seeing Peggy wielding the Infinity Stones, Hela’s powers, Thor’s hammer (guess she’s worthy then) and the Ten Rings all at once! XD

Happy that they did keep Stephen as a nuanced character and not just a mindless villain, I like how they heavily implied it was all the corruption of his stolen dark eldritch beings as much as his own desires. I like this evil Strange more than the ones in MOM (and I still enjoy that film).

Overall a fantastic season and definitely better overall in terms of animation and story.

Season Three might be coming sooner than expected since they already have a clip online of the Winter Soldier and Red Guardian team up episode with Sebastian Stan, David Harbour and Lawrence Fishburne! This kinda seems like a sequel to the 1988 Avengers episode though I could be wrong!

Rumours also say Season Three is doing both a Wandavision episode where Wanda watched Musicals instead of sitcoms (I seriously hope this is what they really got Eliz for) and a Post AOU Pre Civil War Avengers (Cap, Nat, Rhodes, Sam, Wanda and Vision) vs Sultur episode. Would love to see either of those.

Look at that What If version of the Marvel Studios intro with all the What If original stuff! Of course Peggy is still replicating the same stuff Steve does even in it. Also there's Red Guardian and a Wakandan woman from what I assume are season 3 episodes.

I didn't think of the commonality of both Peggy and Strange being focused on people they can't be with and how that would be the emotional core of the episode...but I also can't help but think that all Supreme Strange really needed was a Clea in his life instead of continuing his obsession with Christine (we know Peggy never really moved on in the main universe even when it seemed like she did because she married Steve).

So the idea is that Kahhori was helping Strange hunt people down before he enlisted Peggy? And that's how she learned English and knew about Zombie Wanda!

Did Strange really think he could pit Peggy and Kahhori against each other and not expect them to talk? That was probably his first mistake. Actually expected this episode to turn into the two of them freeing that Earth were Red Skull won from Nazi tyranny.

Gunslinger Loki! Older Wenwu! Thors! The Freak (is he a universal ender or just a hero Strange grabbed?)! Cyborg Rocket Raccoon! I wanted to see more of these folks!

Now Kahhori has the ability to teleport stuff making her even more powerful. Though to a degree of humbling she doesn't have the same level of power as, say, Dr. Strange or the Scarlet Witch, her real advantage against Wanda was that she was...well, a zombie.

Was that supposed to be the main version of Hela and Surtur given they recognized each other? But man, someone on the writing staff must really love Hela with the amount of depicting her in a positive light and having her help that happened this season.

Look at Killmonger anti-climactically erasing Thanos! And look at Kahhori anti-climactically poofing Killmonger out of his Infinity Stone armor! The power of the Infinity Stones doesn't mean much when you're not a main character. Was really weird not hearing Killmonger talk though.

Honestly I feel like Infinity Stone Captain Carter and having her and Kahhori wield a dozen powerful MCU items with ease was about the peak they can hit with those characters, especially Peggy. Though to be honest I'm kind of surprised they didn't have either of them straight up wielding Mjolnir without telekinesis.

I just find it kind of funny that we had a lot of characters show up without their celebrity VA's but we were able to get Stanley Tucci back as Dr. Erskine.

No better way to exorcise your demons than with an Infinity Stone punch! And Strange dies as himself holding back his demons and sacrificing himself...to actually succeed at creating a world with Christine alive in it, even if it's one without him. Then again Christine's seem to need Stephen's less than Stephen's need Christine's (other than in the worlds where they have Clea's I guess).

This was a good season for The Watcher! He got to just do his job and watch instead of intervene for once.

Are they going to use Peggy and Uatu watching the Multiverse Yggdrasil tree as the premise for season 3?