Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    One thing I have noticed and I think this was talked about before is basically in these shows now if you get the super soldier serum you have Spiderman like strength. That bothered me at first but I kind of got over it.
    Well, otherwise they'd just be normal people, and I'm not sure how useful that is

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I think it would be awesome if Marvel considers revisiting the best What If episodes in the future as full on prose novels where they can show off the concepts in longer and more measured ways. Haley Atwell reading a Captain Carter novel would be fantastic.
    That is a neat idea. I also hope that they consider sequels to a few of these. Comics What If...? did that with the "What If Spider-Man Joined The Fantastic Four."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That is a neat idea. I also hope that they consider sequels to a few of these. Comics What If...? did that with the "What If Spider-Man Joined The Fantastic Four."
    I could be mistaken but right now they are doing what ifs within the MCU universe. I don't think they will be diverging from that.

Astonishing Member

I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting, looking at some of the replies in this thread. Did they think each one of these was going to go into how the entire history of mankind changed because of a singular event? Even the comics didn't do that. Heck, it just isn't very "Marvel" to do so. Marvel's approach to comics and especially movies is "character first".

The fact that we're getting a What If show at all is kind of incredible. What If comics were usually fun, but it was always a fans' comic. Because you needed to know the original stories to get the context behind the deviations, which meant they weren't very newbie friendly. The Marvel films are now so well-know and so entrenched in mainstream pop culture that they can actually do this now using the films' continuity as the basis.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I could be mistaken but right now they are doing what ifs within the MCU universe. I don't think they will be diverging from that.
    I think they meant that the Spider-Man in the FF story had sequels in the comics and so that Marvel Studios do the same thing with the episodes with follow ups.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I dug the episode OK but as some here have said and in some recaps I peeped as well I concur with the feeling that they played it safe in this episode and didn't take as much of a hard left as they could have once Peggy got the serum. I can understand some callbacks to TFA but I didn't need it to play out nearly beat for beat.

Outside of that, I dig the animation, the action, the look of CA Carter. Can't wait to get the Marvel Legends figure of her to add to my collection.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Astonishing Member

I think they meant that the Spider-Man in the FF story had sequels in the comics and so that Marvel Studios do the same thing with the episodes with follow ups.
    Ahhh ok. Yea I mean they might do that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting, looking at some of the replies in this thread. Did they think each one of these was going to go into how the entire history of mankind changed because of a singular event? Even the comics didn't do that. Heck, it just isn't very "Marvel" to do so. Marvel's approach to comics and especially movies is "character first".

The fact that we're getting a What If show at all is kind of incredible. What If comics were usually fun, but it was always a fans' comic. Because you needed to know the original stories to get the context behind the deviations, which meant they weren't very newbie friendly. The Marvel films are now so well-know and so entrenched in mainstream pop culture that they can actually do this now using the films' continuity as the basis.
    Well you know how these things go. No matter what your always going to have people not like it.

Boisterously Confused

Precisely.

Boisterously Confused

...What If comics were usually fun, but it was always a fans' comic. Because you needed to know the original stories to get the context behind the deviations, which meant they weren't very newbie friendly. The Marvel films are now so well-know and so entrenched in mainstream pop culture that they can actually do this now using the films' continuity as the basis.
    It's hard to believe that after a mere 13 years the MCU got to a place that could do such an intensely fan-oriented series as this. I remember a lot of us wondering if Batman and Robin had sounded the death-knell of superhero movies barely a decade before Iron Man released.

Getting more interested in the Killmonger vs Stark episode now given what I am hearing about it. I think they’re going to have Obidiah Stane trying to invade Wakanda thanks to Killmonger’s ‘rescue’ of Tony (which I think is more a means of getting to Wakanda instead of using Klaw).

Makes me wonder if we will get something similar sometime for Star Wars. Not like Dark Horse didn’t try it with Infinities but I think there’s easily loads of alternative storylines they could do in a similar way to Marvel and What If?.

They should've worked in "Union Jane". There's always next time. .

Who better to chronicle a multiversal anthology series than The Watcher himself, played with mysterious and cosmic charisma by Jeffrey Wright?

Is Uatu going to constantly be pointing out the exact moment something got changed? Going "hey, here's where it happened" every episode? It's really like Uatu is part of the audience watching the show.

Who would have thought Peggy Carter having googly eyes for Steve Rogers and wanting to be up close and personal would have multiverse ramifications?

So I guess Steve Rogers...really did not need to become Captain America. Like, Peggy becomes a Super Soldier, goes through the relatively same situation of no one talking her seriously until she proves herself and gets the Tesseract before they were supposed to in the "main" universe (even though that doesn't deter Red Skull), captures Zola earlier, pulls off the Howling Commandos rescue mission, prevents Bucky from getting Winter Soldiered, her Red Skull ends up taking himself out, and she ends up coming back to presumably lead her worlds' Avengers equivalent. Huh.

Josh Keaton voicing Steve Rogers was surprisingly well cast. Like, he's a spectacular Spider-Man (heh), but he does a great job of filling in for Chris Evans as MCU Steve while still making the role his own. Never count on a professional VA where it counts! I wonder if he'll play Steve as Captain America in other What If's ?

Okay, so we can have people blow up, fall to their death, get incinerated, shot, and crushed by a cthulu beast...but we can't show blood or bullet wounds. Well, whatever works.

"Captain Carter" doesn't really have the same ring to it that "Captain America" does but I guess they couldn't just use the Captain Britain name willy-nilly...then again it was kind of weird that a Super Soldier designed for the American military ends up sporting the Union jack on her Superhero uniform.

I see the creators understand animation enough to know they can make the characters move and fight like they're in a cartoon and not a live-action movie, complete with a more exaggerated moveset and physics .

General Philips dying was the true tragedy of this timeline .

I guess if there's any differences I would point out between Captain America versus Captain Carter...Peggy seems a little more headstrong and aggressive than Steve was, and seems to enjoy her abilities and what she can do more. And obviously for Peggy it's the need for validation and achievement driving her to some extent, which was a character arc for her in her own show, contrasted with Steve who always just wanted to do the right thing, which is true even in this universe.

I thought for a second they were using archival footage of Red Skull because the voice sounded uncannily like Hugo Weaving, but instead it was Ross Marquand again! He truly has that voice down! I'm only disappointed we didn't get a good Captain Carter versus Red Skull fight.

It was kind of surreal hearing Sebastian Stan playing pre-WS Bucky again, although you could kind of tell that Sebastian Stan isn't used to VA work by some of his line delivery in this episode.

I guess Iron Man suits run in the genes to the extent that, with the right power source, Howard was able to construct a pre-Iron Man Iron Man armor in the Hydra-Smasher. I'm kind of wondering about the historical implications of that one, particularly on Tony.

Dang it Howard, learn to read the mood faster.

I was wondering if that dimension hydra monster was Shuma-Gorath, but no giant eye was a dead giveaway.

I guess Steve and Peggy fall in love in any universe...but are still always destined to be torn apart for one reason or another before they can have that dance. Unless this Peggy's journey will wind up taking her across time until she ends up going back in time to live out her life with Steve and leave the shield for Sam.

I'm glad Jeremy Renner is in this for more episodes because it would've been hilarious if he was only in it for like that one line as Hawkeye.

I guess the question is where Peggy goes from here beyond probably leading the Avengers? I don't think we've seen enough as to how much this world diverged just from Peggy becoming a Super Soldier...like, will all the same Avenger-y stuff happen, just with her in place of Steve? Will she be a woman out of time or acclimate better than Steve did? So many questions.

I enjoyed it overall. I actually liked how they used TFA as the story basis, with scenes changing due to the Peggy/Steve dynamic here.
    One thing to remember, these are being made for fans of the MCU, not comic fans.

Last scene obviously starts to set up a What If Avengers down the road.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!