Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Batman The Long Halloween 48 Page Special (Early October)

I haven't bought a comic book in several years, and didn't expect to until Morrison finishes his Arkahm follow up.

I might have to get this, though.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...7bb_31O0FEG1dE
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Mighty Member

What a day to get The Long Halloween GN

I can't say the timing isn't right with the incoming Pattinson movie as well as the animated film...but I'm skeptical of modern Loeb writing comics again.

I guess this might finally settle once and for all who Holiday was and Gilda's status.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I won't be watching the animated movie, since I haven't really enjoyed any of those compared to the comics they're based on.

BUT I will be purchasing this special. Wow, very interesting indeed: "revisiting some of our favorite characters all the while revealing that you may not know the whole story..."

It's Loeb & Sale, yes, but I may not accept this new story as canon. I make no promises. LH is a story that shouldn't really be touched anymore. I'll give it a read, I'm excited even, but they shouldn't try to undermine the tale. Yes, the current trade adds some old original deleted scenes back into the story, and that's one thing, but a 2021 "revisit" is very much another when it comes to such an important foundational tale in the Batman mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    and didn't expect to until Morrison finishes his Arkahm follow up.
    I know you could very well be simply joking, but Morrison did cancel/shelf this sequel. I just learned this recently myself.

If you've been looking forward to Grant Morrison's sequel to his Batman OGN Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, we've got some bad news - the writer has said that the project is on hold.

So what happened to the sequel? Well, Morrison says he's too busy with TV projects.

"I kind of wrote 26 pages of it, and it got shelved because the television work was taking up so much time," Morrison told TechRadar's Samuel Roberts. "But again, I never say never because I think [those] 26 pages were pretty good."

Morrison and Burnham recently reunited for a short story in the Detective Comics #1027 anthology, and the writer admits it did rekindle the idea of finishing Arkham Asylum 2 someday.

"It gave me the taste again because he was going to draw the second Arkham Asylum, too," Morrison continued. "But no, I had a story – it's very, very, very different from the original book. It was more of a Philip K. Dick thing. It's still there. It's still one of these things that may happen."
    https://www.gamesradar.com/grant-mor...asylum-sequel/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-08-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I know you could very well be simply joking, but Morrison did cancel/shelf this sequel. I just learned this recently myself.

https://www.gamesradar.com/grant-mor...asylum-sequel/
    Dammit. Wasn't joking. Didn't know. Thanks for filling me in, even though that totally bites.

How was their story in 1027? I didn't know about that either.

Edit: I actually do remember remember reading about 1027 now, and found some pages on scans daily.

The Arkham 2 news is a major bummer.
    Last edited by ispacehead; 07-08-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Apparently The Long Halloween was mentioned recently in a DC comic, see below, with its current canonicity being addressed by a DC writer (Tim Sheridan). Sheridan's remark strikes me as absurd or at least rather confusing (so a noncanonical reference in a canonical book?...an "urban myth" about a case that possibly didn't even occur at all?).
    If Sheridan wanted to distance himself from appearing to remark on LH's conclusion, just state that very simply or clearly, don't suggest the story you referenced may not have happened at all even. Some DC editor greenlit Teen Titans Academy #4, or doesn't Sheridan realize that?
    In Teen Titans Academy #4 by Tim Sheridan and Steve Lieber, a young group of Batman-inspired superheroes continue to adjust to life at the Academy, and begin to investigate the series’ greatest mystery: who is the new Red X? As the team begins chasing leads and eliminating suspects throughout the issue, they eventually hit a wall and casually mention that not even Batman could solve all his cases--including the infamous Long Halloween.

[Update: This article previously claimed this exchange "confirmed" the events of The Long Halloween as fans know it as part of DC continuity, along with the story's conclusion. Writer Tim Sheridan has clarified that the Bat-Pack aren't meant to be taken as reliable sources for DC's larger continuity, but more likely the "urban myths" shared about Batman's past. Therefore the reference is not intended to be considered strictly canonical, but a nod for fans to enjoy all the same.]
    Untitledz2a.jpg

https://screenrant.com/batman-long-h...ved-dc-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    The Arkham 2 news is a major bummer.
    It's definitely not the firmest cancel from Morrison, he seems to want to restart work on it, but we definitely shouldn't be on the lookout for it for the time being.

Morrison hasn't even bothered to confirm or mention his presumed shelving of his long-ago-announced Batman Black & White project or "Multiversity Too."

https://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc-15-g...and-white-gns/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-08-2021 at 12:42 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'll be shocked if they somehow don't mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Morrison hasn't even bothered to confirm or mention his presumed shelving of his long-ago-announced Batman Black & White project or "Multiversity Too."

https://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc-15-g...and-white-gns/
    I don't know what are his source, but I found some time ago this post about Multiversity Too: https://davidmann95.tumblr.com/post/...t-multiversity

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Skipping. Cashing in on my nostalgia has worked but not any longer

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'll be shocked if they somehow don't mess it up.

I don't know what are his source, but I found some time ago this post about Multiversity Too: https://davidmann95.tumblr.com/post/...t-multiversity
    I thought Morrison is done with DC after Superman & The Authority comes out?

On Long Halloween:

I cannot wait! One of my first Batman GN's I ever read so I am so down with it

Astonishing Member

I'll be picking this up. Batman: The Long Halloween is one of my all time favourite Batman books.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

This better be really good! LH is sooooo good!

Long Halloween was stylistically splendid, but the story could have used some help. I'm interested in what they will do in that regard.

Now I just gotta figure out where a comic shop is. Been a while.

Extraordinary Member

Old school Jim Gordon .

Extraordinary Member

Couldn't find a preview but this should be out this coming week - comixology still has the release date as 10/26.