Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flint marko View Post
    Too bad there wasn't a teaser for how Scorpion was rescued/recruited, which other villains got, because he is on Vulture's team instead of Otto's.
    Yeah, he could have used one. If he were on Ock's side it could have been an easy "I plucked him back from the other universe" but Vulture's team doesn't really have those smarts. Otherwise to me it stands out as yet another editorial flub-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, the symbiote he bonded with in Venom Beyond fixed his spine, but then he was supposed to be trapped there after Codex was beaten and that world was freed from his control . . . obviously, he figured a way back to this universe . . .
    Gargan has had it rough lol. Before that it was his jaw getting knocked off.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Yeah, he could have used one. If he were on Ock's side it could have been an easy "I plucked him back from the other universe" but Vulture's team doesn't really have those smarts. Otherwise to me it stands out as yet another editorial flub-up.

Gargan has had it rough lol. Before that it was his jaw getting knocked off.
    Yeah, definitely. And before that, it was ending up as basically a meat puppet for the Venom symbiote after he bonded with it thinking it was finally gonna get him some respect in villain circles.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, definitely. And before that, it was ending up as basically a meat puppet for the Venom symbiote after he bonded with it thinking it was finally gonna get him some respect in villain circles.

Wasnt Gargan wheelchair bound and left in another dimension in Donny Cates Venom run?

Astonishing Member

Meh art. Bagley was my favorite artist, bar none, during his ASM run in the 90s and USM run in the early 00s. I don’t know what happened to him, but I find his style so flat and dull now. It’s still identifiable as Bagley, but it’s like Diet Bagley stripped of all the dynamic angles and everything else that used to make his pencils so striking.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Meh art. Bagley was my favorite artist, bar none, during his ASM run in the 90s and USM run in the early 00s. I don’t know what happened to him, but I find his style so flat and dull now. It’s still identifiable as Bagley, but it’s like Diet Bagley stripped of all the dynamic angles and everything else that used to make his pencils so striking.
    Unfortunately I share this view, too. It was exciting seeing Bagley would be drawing ASM again but most of his work this run on interiors just hasn't been as sharp as the past. I like it, and it feels like home but just not the same I suppose (not that I'm asking for it to look the same, every artist evolves). I wonder if it's just one of those cases of artist's getting older and just not being able to go at it as crazy as they used to or if it's the inking and coloring pairings not meshing so good with the pencils.

Even back in the BND days I did not understand the inking and coloring pairings for JRJR. Klaus Janson is a legendary creator in his own right and frequent JRJR collaborator but I dunno, with his looser inks and the painterly Dean White coloring it just did not mesh right. Especially coming off of the boldness and brightness of how JRJR looked on the title just a few years prior.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    He needs a good, consistent inker. As good as a artist is, a great inker can come in and really clean up the lines/lay-outs. I liked Bagley on Ultimate when Thibert was doing inks and his Amazing was predominantly with Emberlin (Mahlstedt came on just prior to 400).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Unfortunately I share this view, too. It was exciting seeing Bagley would be drawing ASM again but most of his work this run on interiors just hasn't been as sharp as the past. I like it, and it feels like home but just not the same I suppose (not that I'm asking for it to look the same, every artist evolves). I wonder if it's just one of those cases of artist's getting older and just not being able to go at it as crazy as they used to or if it's the inking and coloring pairings not meshing so good with the pencils.

Even back in the BND days I did not understand the inking and coloring pairings for JRJR. Klaus Janson is a legendary creator in his own right and frequent JRJR collaborator but I dunno, with his looser inks and the painterly Dean White coloring it just did not mesh right. Especially coming off of the boldness and brightness of how JRJR looked on the title just a few years prior.
    It's definitely a mixture of inks and colours. For me, I think it is the inks. A artist with a consistent inker doesn't need to be as detailed because they trust the inker to come in later and clean up their lines and embellish the layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    This.
    I did find the actor thing a bit weird.I prefer her as a model tbh.
    I mean she kisses other people for the show and there was the whole Jerome thing.IRL it's not a prob(the show thing, Jerome stuff was a bit messed up , did she ever tell him?) but comic writers make(/made?) a big deal out of this, specially the Jerome stuff.

I really hope not.Peter should just go ballistic and own them.
    who is jerome i was talking about the ps4 game. is that one of her exes in the comics?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    who is jerome i was talking about the ps4 game. is that one of her exes in the comics?
    In the comics.
    It a weird affair type thing she had.The guy was way out of line but MJ could have handled it better.
    Peter was out of town, they were married btw.They kissed twice(first was a surprise but it lingered a bit, second I don't recall).The writer made her think she liked it.
    Then they made it a she was feeling lonely and needed "romance" but with Peter.Idk if she ever told him about this.

It was a messed up plotline.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Wasnt Gargan wheelchair bound and left in another dimension in Donny Cates Venom run?
    True. He was wheelchair-bound (using Alistair Smythe's super-wheelchair) in Ravencroft, and then after that, he cobbled together some old War Machine Armor that he painted up to look like Venom with Goblin and anti-symbiote tech and went after Brock while calling himself Virus. By the time he got stranded in Codex's dimension, he'd bonded with a new symbiote Codex used to recruit him, which restored his mobility, but then he got separated from that and tried to use the Virus Armor again to get at Brock one more time, only to be shut down and taken prisoner.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

In the comics.
    It a weird affair type thing she had.The guy was way out of line but MJ could have handled it better.
    Peter was out of town, they were married btw.They kissed twice(first was a surprise but it lingered a bit, second I don't recall).The writer made her think she liked it.
    Then they made it a she was feeling lonely and needed "romance" but with Peter.Idk if she ever told him about this.

It was a messed up plotline.
    Yes. Jason Jerome. The guy was a literal creep. Both times they kissed was him forcing himself on her. Mary Jane was feeling lonely and isolated around that point. In the end she invited Jerome back to the apartment she shared with Peter and had covered the walls with pictures of herself with Peter. She effectively told him that she was lonely, but would only seek attention/affection from her husband and no one else. Kicking him out afterwards. She was worried she enjoyed the kiss, but never gave in despite the guys aggressive advances.

To be fair, Mary Jane always had one or two sleazes after her in the late 80s/early 90s. It was kind of its own trope that writers used at the point. The above was during Conway's stint on Spectacular. Then Micheline gave us the storyline where Mary Jane was so worried about Peter that she took up smoking again. Can never forget the panel where Peter kisses her and goes, "Yuck, your mouth tastes like a ashtray."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Yes. Jason Jerome. The guy was a literal creep. Both times they kissed was him forcing himself on her. Mary Jane was feeling lonely and isolated around that point. In the end she invited Jerome back to the apartment she shared with Peter and had covered the walls with pictures of herself with Peter. She effectively told him that she was lonely, but would only seek attention/affection from her husband and no one else. Kicking him out afterwards. She was worried she enjoyed the kiss, but never gave in despite the guys aggressive advances.

To be fair, Mary Jane always had one or two sleazes after her in the late 80s/early 90s. It was kind of its own trope that writers used at the point. The above was during Conway's stint on Spectacular. Then Micheline gave us the storyline where Mary Jane was so worried about Peter that she took up smoking again. Can never forget the panel where Peter kisses her and goes, "Yuck, your mouth tastes like a ashtray."
    I just feel MJ would have been more forward with telling him off and would tell Peter.And MJ feeling lonely makes sense but the affair stuff is just weird.

The smoking seems like a much better story than the affair.How was it written?I forget.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-09-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

I just feel MJ would have been more forward with telling him off and would tell Peter.And MJ feeling lonely makes sense but the affair stuff is just weird.

The smoking seems like a much better story than the affair.How was it written?I forget.
    I can't remember if MJ told Peter or not about that. It seemed to be forgotten about once she gave Jerome his marching orders. I remember she confided to Joy Mercado that she had been thinking about another man. Her cousin, Kirsty, also spotted her with him. But she had her own storyline going on in that she was bulimic.

It was a subplot that kicked off around the time Carnage was introduced and ran from Amazing 361 - 384/5. MJ's anxiety was at a all time high and she was struggling with Peter going out night after night and the fear he might not come back. It didn't help that Carnage was leaving bodies all over New York (a villain that was far more bloodthirsty and dangerous than others Peter came up against) and Peter deciding to go and get Venom off the island in order to help him overcome Carnage (Which Mary Jane was against). So it was a coping mechanism.

When Peter found out, she told him it was a habit she had in high school (Which was never mentioned before that issue revealed it), but one she kicked well before she met him. I think she just substituted it with dancing and acting. Anyway, he tried to get her to quit and she basically said that it helped her when she was alone at night and scared he wouldn't come back. That she would give up if he gave up being Spider-man and she said she knew he would never do that. In the end he had to take her to see Nick Katzenberg in hospital (who was dying from lung cancer) and the shock of that helped her to realize she had been selfish and that she would give them up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I can't remember if MJ told Peter or not about that. It seemed to be forgotten about once she gave Jerome his marching orders. I remember she confided to Joy Mercado that she had been thinking about another man. Her cousin, Kirsty, also spotted her with him. But she had her own storyline going on in that she was bulimic.

It was a subplot that kicked off around the time Carnage was introduced and ran from Amazing 361 - 384/5. MJ's anxiety was at a all time high and she was struggling with Peter going out night after night and the fear he might not come back. It didn't help that Carnage was leaving bodies all over New York (a villain that was far more bloodthirsty and dangerous than others Peter came up against) and Peter deciding to go and get Venom off the island in order to help him overcome Carnage (Which Mary Jane was against). So it was a coping mechanism.

When Peter found out, she told him it was a habit she had in high school (Which was never mentioned before that issue revealed it), but one she kicked well before she met him. I think she just substituted it with dancing and acting. Anyway, he tried to get her to quit and she basically said that it helped her when she was alone at night and scared he wouldn't come back. That she would give up if he gave up being Spider-man and she said she knew he would never do that. In the end he had to take her to see Nick Katzenberg in hospital (who was dying from lung cancer) and the shock of that helped her to realize she had been selfish and that she would give them up.
    Yup.The storyline should rest well in the forever forgotten pile.If they ever do a cosmic timeline cleanup maybe just remove it.Although SP is much much worse, I really hope Spencer retdon's it.We have some hints that he might.So here's hoping..

Sounds like a great story.
    Also "Nick Katzenberg" is a name I've heard in Rule 34 with MJ.Did they have a thing too?

I also feel MJ would always be 100% faithful given her past and general character.That is not a good story idea.
    And this pairing reminds me of how Marvel had the audacity to make MJ date and sleep with someone in the start of BND.The disrespect was real(they even say "private ceremony", really?!).I just ignore that she dated and or slept with anyone in BND era.

Astonishing Member

Yup.The storyline should rest well in the forever forgotten pile.If they ever do a cosmic timeline cleanup maybe just remove it.Although SP is much much worse, I really hope Spencer retdon's it.We have some hints that he might.So here's hoping..

Sounds like a great story.
    Also "Nick Katzenberg" is a name I've heard in Rule 34 with MJ.Did they have a thing too?

I also feel MJ would always be 100% faithful given her past and general character.That is not a good story idea.
    And this pairing reminds me of how Marvel had the audacity to make MJ date and sleep with someone in the start of BND.The disrespect was real(they even say "private ceremony", really?!).I just ignore that she dated and or slept with anyone in BND era.
    No, they didn't have a thing. He just used to make lewd comments towards her sometimes. He did once at a party and Peter shoved him and threatened him to never speak about her like that again. He got a picture of Peter unmasked and tried to blackmail them both and jokingly said he would settle for a night of MJ's company, but she, herself, knocked him out when he did.

Katzenberg was only ever seen bedding Robbie attorney when he was on trial that time.