Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I’m not going to dispute that. But BiteTheBullet was complaining about the powers Diana demonstrated during the fight, and I was simply pointing out she really didn’t do anything that she isn’t capable of.

If you want to discuss the problems with Ares’ motivation and how that clashes with the themes of the movie—and I would likely agree with many of those points—that’s a different topic.

Not what I was talking about, but good try though.

But what feats does this god have? We've never seen this god do anything impressive! How can we know he's really powerful unless he arm wrestles Superman and knocks out the Hulk with a sneeze?

"I can't enjoy anything unless the fictional characters involved satisfy an arbitrary power scale that exists only in my own head."
    Christ, what a miserable, joyless way to engage with media.

Oh, okay. They just don't count because you said so.
    According to comics. Chgeetah's power is suypposed to be high enough to go toe to toe with WW. That represents 90% of Cheetah's feats. Her battles with Diana. And we have a pretty clear idea of how powersful Diana used to be. Yea i say used to be because she is weak nowadays. So i think writers should have been more consistent with Cheetah. Since she has always been stated to be somebody that can at least put up a fight against Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    For Cheetah as the speedster she should have been, Fox had some neat speed scenes with Quicksilver, they would just need to be more serious:

Your reasoning makes no sense again, if Cheetah has always been weak, she either needs a new direction or can not have a position as a potential arch-enemy of Wonder Woman. All you are saying is that Cheetah as a threat to Wonder Woman was always just poor writing or in more specific plot armor, and if that were true, we should urgently open a thread about the seemingly all-around problem Cheetah.
    Not only that. He basically says that Cheetah being stated as somebody that can trade blows with WW is not a good point. Because WW's power has alsio fluctuated at times. Which basically suggests he doesn't have an issue with seeing crappy writing as WW struggling with peak humans or averaghe super human stats characters like it has happened to Cheetah. This user seems to want WW and her villains to be lightweights.

I take the guess you quoted the wrong reply? Because that sounds a lot like an answer to my reply

Well i think the Quicksilver scenes are better, and 1 part of the reason for that is what you mention, it looks awkward how Faora interacts with the soldiers and a bit like an older videogame without a good physics engine.

So Cheetah should be at best a minor villain, and never be a physical threat to Wonder Woman, is that your point?
    My point is that Cheetah strength isn't being undersold in a movie like WW84, nor in many other places except for example in the fights vs Catwoman and Batman. You guys are claiming that Cheetah was once this massively strong villain when I have never read a story that portrayed her that way.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    There was one-time Clayface disguised himself as Cheetah and was tossing semi’s around and no one though that was weird.
    Do you happen to remember what story it is? It's a nice counter point, but it's only one example out of the many stories Barbara Minnerva has appeared in, and since it's not the actual Cheetah I'm not sure it counts. It wouldn't be the first time that Clayface has impersonated weaker characters and used his super strength.

Throwing around Diana isn't proof that Cheetah is massively strong because many other villains have done that over the last 80 years. WW84 was an accurate portrayal of Cheetah's strength, just not of her speed. You can overhype Cheetah as much as you want, but until you show me a panel or tell me a story where Cheetah is actually strong you are still just pretending that she is what she never was. You may wabt Cheetah to be strong enough to lift a submarine, but that has never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    This is what happens when Superman and Doomsday fight.

Compare that to Cheetah's fight with Diana in Savage Moon. I reallly like Priscilla Rich. I enjoyed the Rucka stories with Cheetah in rebirth (Barbara Minnerva not so much). But don't pretend that Cheetah has ever been a powerhouse. She has thrown around Wonder Woman, which is also true of many other characters.
    Savage Moon battle had a bulding collapsing as a result of Cheetah and Diana fighting each other inside. And battle feats are just as important as enviroment feats like liftng a ship or whatever. Most villains have the majority of their feats from battles with the hero. Darkseid hasn't any important lifting feats for example. Yet people won't deny his strength because of all the fights he has against heavy hitters. It is the same for Cheetah. Diana is a super strong character. If Cheetah keeps being mentioned and shown as somebody that can trade blows with her. Then that is the level where she should be. Not getting beat up by characters that are far below Diana in strtength and speed. It is that simple.

Throwing around Diana isn't proof that Cheetah is massively strong because many other villains have done that over the last 80 years. WW84 was an accurate portrayal of Cheetah's strength, just not of her speed. You can overhype Cheetah as much as you want, but until you show me a panel or tell me a story where Cheetah is actually strong you are still just pretending that she is what she never was. You may wabt Cheetah to be strong enough to lift a submarine, but that has never happened.
    WW getting thrown around or struggling against people without super strength or people far weaker can be just as much of bad writing. As Cheetah being beat up by characters like catwoman, batman or green arrow. What makes you think that bad writing and PIS never happen? Problem is now WW is pretty inconsistent herself. To the point it is questionable if she still is a heavy hitter. So maybe you are happy with that. A Diana that is not super strong. You got your wish. Congratulations.

Mighty Member

My point is that Cheetah strength isn't being undersold in a movie like WW84, nor in many other places except for example in the fights vs Catwoman and Batman. You guys are claiming that Cheetah was once this massively strong villain when I have never read a story that portrayed her that way.
    So all her fights with Wonder Woman were just poor writing, or in more specific Cheetah having plot armor?

So all her fights with Wonder Woman were just poor writing, or in more specific Cheetah having plot armor?
    By the logic he is using. Once could say hey WW is not that strong either. She traded blows with kryptonians and has lifted very heavy things. But also many characters without or with barely super strength have thrown WW around in 80 years of comics. I don't know why he acts like things like that only happen to Cheetah. He should first make up his mind about where Diana ranks in the power chart. Because Cheetah has always scaled off Diana. Like a lot of other villains where the majority of their feats come from fighting the hero.

Nah they were normal fights. Wonder Woman is a pretty volatile character so there's no reason to pretend that this random instance among the many times Diana has been thrown around suddenly means something huge.

Nah they were normal fights. Wonder Woman is a pretty volatile character so there's no reason to pretend that this random instance among the many times Diana has been thrown around suddenly means something huge.
    Oh so WW is not super strong then. And all the times she had a big super strength feat was bad writing. I guess batman, deathstroke etc making Diana struggle is accurate after all. She is more of a weaklink than we thought then.

I guess since Deathstroke can fight Wonder Woman he must be as strong as Cheetah.

I guess since Deathstroke can fight Wonder Woman he must be as strong as Cheetah.
    Why not? That is the logic you are using here. He is as strong as Diana. It has happened more than once to see him fight WW. So why not? Maybe you were right after all. And WW isn't that strong.

I mean, you seem to base Diana's strength based on the most powerful thing she has done. The strongest thing Deathstroke has done was probably fight Wonder Woman. And since every time those two faced each other it was kind of even, I guess Deathstroke can lift a submarine.

I mean, you seem to base Diana's strength based on the most powerful thing she has done. The strongest thing Deathstroke has done was probably fight Wonder Woman. And since every time those two faced each other it was kind of even, I guess Deathstroke can lift a submarine.
    Deathstroke best is fighting Superman and beating up a JL group all by himself. Including Flash and Green Lantern.

Cheetah's best is fighting Flash, Superman. The JL in the New 52 intro. And fighting WW all the time. Now what i want to know is if deathstroke is consistently fighting WW the way that Cheetah does. And if deathstroke is consistently stated to be strong enough to battle WW. The way Cheetah does. As always consistency is the key.

Okey Dokey man.