Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

At the moment these are the characters that I really care about and will generally buy their book regardless unless its absolute ****.
    Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)
    The Flash (Barry Allen)
    Shazam!
    Black Canary
    Superman
    Nightwing
    Zatanna
    Jon Kent (though this has already happened)

I think at this point "rioting" about how your favorites are treated is basically redundant. Mostly because nothing in modern comics has any lasting consequences at all. There are no such things as permanent deaths or big character changes that stick for an extended period of time anymore. Then there's the fact that given how much they have invested in some of these characters over the years and decades, "mistreating" them seems to make little sense from a business standpoint on a long-term basis. Instead, sidelining them and not giving them much panel time if they don't fit the personal or corporate interests of the people in charge seems like the way these things are handled now. By not damaging the character and giving their fans the illusion that they may have "future plans" for that character regardless if they do or not, is how companies usually spare themselves from headlines that they are going to "destroy" characters that don't fit their agenda. They'd just keep them to the side, throw some crumbs at their fans every once in a while, maybe a mini-series here and there or a one-off guest appearance in a cartoon sometimes, but won't give them much else unless either someone comes along who wants to do something big with said character and gives them a good pitch that doesn't affect any of their long-term planning for their main line, or the company that own DC simply decides to adapt those characters in outside media so they are forced to push them now. It's just how it works today.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-09-2021 at 05:35 AM.

So many bad things have happened to so many characters I like over the years that I'm pretty numb to it at this point.

Back in the day I got really upset that Marvel killed off Nova and introduced a new one. Probably main reason why I eventually stopped reading Marvel asides of some rare occurrences like current Shang-Chi series by Yang. I'd like to think that I have "grown up" since then.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I really never get why they want to kill a character, especially among the prolific ones.

Does leaving them unused but unharmed off panel for a little while just never occur to them?
    I don't think that it is a coincidence that around same time Johns introduced Simon. Obviously I can't prove it, but I suspect that Johns wanted to have Simon in that "not-white Green Lantern" slot that John occupies.

Astonishing Member

Ted Kord - Shot in the head in 2005
    Wally West - too many things to list
    Billy Batson - worked in JSA so they pulled him out and keep trying failed revamps
    Jimmy Olsen - DCEU version shot in the face for a laugh
    Amanda Waller - Turned her from a heroic badass who uses harsh methods but will not hurt innocents into a sociopath who will kill anyone when it serves her purpose
    Tim Drake - shoved aside to promote Damien, retconned into never being Robin

Die hard fan of the Jenette Kahn era and the DCAU. Not a fan of the Dan Didio era or the DCEU.
    Last edited by Rincewind; 07-09-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I really never get why they want to kill a character, especially among the prolific ones.

Does leaving them unused but unharmed off panel for a little while just never occur to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Back in the day I got really upset that Marvel killed off Nova and introduced a new one. Probably main reason why I eventually stopped reading Marvel asides of some rare occurrences like current Shang-Chi series by Yang. I'd like to think that I have "grown up" since then.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that around same time Johns introduced Simon. Obviously I can't prove it, but I suspect that Johns wanted to have Simon in that "not-white Green Lantern" slot that John occupies.
    That, and they want to create noise in hopes of selling copies and trades.

None. I just dont subscribe to that kind of fan mentality, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    None. I just dont subscribe to that kind of fan mentality, tbh.
    that part^
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Not rioting, but I can quit a book when it's going downhill.

What get's to me is not killing a favorite of mine, but when they write them OOC or throw a character under the bus to prop another. Not just because it's one of my favorites, but because it's bad writing when the best way they find to make some character shine is taking a **** on another.

Already happened.

this is one thing that will always baffle me about comic book fans. Tragedy is the essence of great drama. I’d rather see my favorite characters put through something terrible than just see them happily fighting bad guys. Been there, done that and it’s always made for mediocre stories. That, to me, is the real crime against characters I love.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    this is one thing that will always baffle me about comic book fans. Tragedy is the essence of great drama. I’d rather see my favorite characters put through something terrible than just see them happily fighting bad guys. Been there, done that and it’s always made for mediocre stories. That, to me, is the real crime against characters I love.
    I guess it depends on whether the tragedy is artistically appropriate

I am someone numb after all the bad things that have happened in recent years. Death and destruction is done and undone so often I don't really expect it to stick.
    But...my one character I hold up for protection here is Lois Lane. She's a strong complex character (when written well, she's been misused some in recent years), and I had to suffer through the Super-marriage being retconned out through New 52. Rebirth made a lot of amends with me, but it's still to soon to tolerate having the super-marriage ended one way or another again.
    Bad enough that Jon got tortured and aged up because of her and Clark making out of character stupid decisions. I do still hold out hope that Jon will get de-aged again.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Depends on the character and the execution of the tragedy.

Wally had tragedy and it was also a mediocre story.

The problem is that too often the death or tragedy is done with intention of permanently replacing the character.

It took years of Hal fans protesting until he was restored as Green Lantern.

Ted Kord and Vic Sage were killed off to make way for new versions of Blue Beetle and the Question....but again fan popularity resulted in their return.

For most comic fans it's specific heroes that draw them into reading comics, and when they are killed off people lose interest in reading comics and often quit.