Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    If something bad happens to these characters below. (Get killed, character assassination, shock value, being a punching bag). I will lose my mind and got pissed at the DC writers.

- Nightwing
    - The Flash (Wally West)
    - Booster Gold
    - Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)
    - Zatanna
    - Starfire
    - Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    DC screwing my buddy Kent Nelson again and AGAIN... last straw was Just League Dark, while I didn't riot, I did QUIT all DC titles and never looked back! *ching ching*

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    The difference between between Barry and Hal's legacy characters is that Wally had been around for decades, and he was immensely popular, so people generally accepted the transition, whereas Kyle sort of materialized out of thin air, and having Hal become a mass murderer, was pretty much the execs at DC signaling that he's never coming back as GL.
    I don't think Wally was nearly that popular when he initially replaced Barry. The original plan was to kill Barry off and replace him with a whole new type of Flash, an Asian woman with light based powers. This eventually became Kimiyo Hoshi Dr. Light. Wally was in NTT at the time but was kind of the weak link of the cast, but I think his long standing of being a Silver Age character with a close connection to the character he was replacing (who got to go out in a heroic manner in a big event) provided a stable foundation. The Flash mythos expanding along with Wally's character development made him the best of the legacy replacements in a way that Kyle and Connor Hawke at a glance weren't, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    What is Didio's beef with Wally and Dick and their whole generation anyways?
    He thought they made the main generation (Superman, Batman, etc). too old and he didn't like them. That's the long and short of it.

Despite the fact that the age gap between the generations was never that big, at least if we look at the main two, Bruce and Dick. Dick being in his vague early-mid 20s would still result in Bruce being somewhere in his 30s. If anything, it was the the likes of Jason, the YJ generation and the new generation being built up around Damian and Jon all being around that logically dictates the main generation should be older than they seem, yet he didn't target them as hard as Dick's generation and kept approving the creation of more young heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think Wally was nearly that popular when he initially replaced Barry. The original plan was to kill Barry off and replace him with a whole new type of Flash, an Asian woman with light based powers. This eventually became Kimiyo Hoshi Dr. Light. Wally was in NTT at the time but was kind of the weak link of the cast, but I think his long standing of being a Silver Age character with a close connection to the character he was replacing (who got to go out in a heroic manner in a big event) provided a stable foundation. The Flash mythos expanding along with Wally's character development made him the best of the legacy replacements in a way that Kyle and Connor Hawke at a glance weren't, IMO.

He thought they made the main generation (Superman, Batman, etc). too old and he didn't like them. That's the long and short of it.

Despite the fact that the age gap between the generations was never that big, at least if we look at the main two, Bruce and Dick. Dick being in his vague early-mid 20s would still result in Bruce being somewhere in his 30s. If anything, it was the the likes of Jason, the YJ generation and the new generation being built up around Damian and Jon all being around that logically dictates the main generation should be older than they seem, yet he didn't target them as hard as Dick's generation and kept approving the creation of more young heroes.
    I agree that bringing in Jason and Damien pushes everybody's ages up.
    Thank goodness Didio is gone, although I don't feel like DC has really found firm footing to move forward yet as they're still borrowing heavily from his 5G plan.

I was around when they replaced Barry with Wally, and there was a lot of excitement that he was taking over amongst younger readers, because we grew up loving Kid Flash and Speedy, much like younger fans today like Damian ect, so I remember a lot of support for the new Flash run at the time.

That's interesting about Dr. Light, I hadn't heard that before, but being a speedster based on harnessing light is a neat concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    DC screwing my buddy Kent Nelson again and AGAIN... last straw was Just League Dark, while I didn't riot, I did QUIT all DC titles and never looked back! *ching ching*
    I'm noticing a lot of Dr. Fate fans on here who are p'd off, and have dropped their DC comics...or at least they're quite upset.

I must confess I've never been a huge fan of the character, but as someone who has had to endure the pain of having my favourite heroes being replaced....I feel for you guys.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I was around when they replaced Barry with Wally, and there was a lot of excitement that he was taking over amongst younger readers, because we grew up loving Kid Flash and Speedy, much like younger fans today like Damian ect, so I remember a lot of support for the new Flash run at the time.
    Oh that's interesting. I wasn't even born at that point, but I thought I heard Wally wasn't super popular around that time yet. But I will defer to someone who was actually there

Extraordinary Member

Indeed, I always felt each Robin after Dick puts age on Bruce.

I don't understand why DC kept introducing multigenerational heroes, instead of new characters who were peers of the of JSA, JLA, and the NTT. Three generations is enough with the Legion in the far future, imo.

Oh that's interesting. I wasn't even born at that point, but I thought I heard Wally wasn't super popular around that time yet. But I will defer to someone who was actually there
    No worries comics is one of those intergenerational hobbies.

The Dr Light was a cool idea though, it would have been neat to see that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    If something bad happens to these characters below. (Get killed, character assassination, shock value, being a punching bag). I will lose my mind and got pissed at the DC writers.
    Dolphin.

Abby Arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull
    None, to be honest. I respect what the writers and editors do. They don't owe me anything. Fans tend to take these things too personal imo.
    Beg your pardon but if you don't care about the characters then what is the point in reading/watching any story?
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 07-14-2021 at 06:34 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I don't think Wally was nearly that popular when he initially replaced Barry. The original plan was to kill Barry off and replace him with a whole new type of Flash, an Asian woman with light based powers. This eventually became Kimiyo Hoshi Dr. Light. Wally was in NTT at the time but was kind of the weak link of the cast, but I think his long standing of being a Silver Age character with a close connection to the character he was replacing (who got to go out in a heroic manner in a big event) provided a stable foundation. The Flash mythos expanding along with Wally's character development made him the best of the legacy replacements in a way that Kyle and Connor Hawke at a glance weren't, IMO..
    Let me correct you here, because Kimyo Hoshi was never supposed to be the new Flash, though I've seen this mix up.

What actually happened back then, AFAIK, is that DC wanted to retire not only Barry but the Flash concept as it was. To that end, they asked several creative teams for new pitches for the franchise: the one who got the farthest was one by Len Wein (and I think Marv Wolfman as well) which made the new Flash a new character named Mackenzie Ryan, a Starlab technician with powers over energy fields. At the elenth hour DC chickened out and decided to go with Wally.

Some of the concepts for the powers were indeed used for Dr. Light II (Kimyo), and some say that that is also the inspiration for Lia Nelson, the Tangent Flash.

Mackenzie Ryan was later seen in a cameo in Teen Titans.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!