View Poll Results: Should Jason Todd Be A Hero Or A Villain?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Hero

14 25.93%
  • A Villain

7 12.96%
  • Somewhere In Between

31 57.41%
  • I Wish He Stayed Dead

2 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Do You Prefer Red Hood (Jason Todd) As A Hero or Villain?

The resurrection of Jason Todd seemed to be controversial, but more and more fans seem more comfortable with him being alive and a hero.

Definitely, my choice would be in the middle/somewhere in between.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I voted for in between as I think he'd work better as the one who kills and as a result Bruce can't accept him.

Give him a more antagonistic relationship with the family, because deep down the thing he wants most is to have never left, but having grown his own set of ethics and traumas that makes him believe Bruce is fundamentally wrong on killing and his way of working in general (especially putting kids in harm's way). I'd have him get on well enough with the other members, too, just Bruce is the sticking point. I also liked the idea that he took over several criminal endeavors, realising it is inevitable, but has strict rules (e.g. no drugs to kids). This set him up as a different kind of vigilante rather than just an ex-Robin who kills.

I loved his original return arc but feel he's now almost interchangeable with the other Robins.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I prefer him as a villain. If that's not possible then a hero. no inbetween.
    Writers have never really managed to write him well as inbetween.

An anti hero with the bat brand? That's problematic
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-09-2021 at 02:15 AM.

An anti-hero, or a hero if not. Way, way more interesting stories to write and read with that, and that way he gets to be the one most important in the stories he's in, unlike what would happen if he's a villain. Villains are most of the time tools for the heroes, and they tend to be one trick poneys. Also, making him a good guy is the most respectful approach to his time as Robin, those who wrote him as heroic afterwards too; and those who like him and sympathise with him. Of course, with him as an anti-hero, he can move from time to time to be the antagonist or even an antivillain (which is not a classic villainous bad guy, mind you): which can make for different, but still interesting stories, from time to time. Because characters shouldn't be stones: they need to interact with different environments and dilemas, and that means their place in said dilema is going to shift withing a range.

I mean, it's a no brainer for me. I want my favourite to be the star in the story, or at least, one of the main stars if the story is for a team. Him as a villain? Boring, unrespectful and just a tool to make the other guys look even better than they usually look.

Also, about him killing being too problematic, well: it doesn't seem like the batfam has many problems with other killing vigilantes and heroes. Or even with villains. Then, there's the thing about brutal violence and other problematic behaviours the batfam seems to have no problem with. It's workable for a dynamic, it can work, and it also adds interesting conflicts to all of their stories.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 07-09-2021 at 04:24 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Hero. Partially because he’s one of my favorites so obviously I want to read more stories where he’s the focus and partially because it seems like DC had no idea what to do with him as a villain after UTH. Some of the GA stuff was cool I guess but the rest? Hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I voted for in between as I think he'd work better as the one who kills and as a result Bruce can't accept him.

Give him a more antagonistic relationship with the family, because deep down the thing he wants most is to have never left, but having grown his own set of ethics and traumas that makes him believe Bruce is fundamentally wrong on killing and his way of working in general (especially putting kids in harm's way). I'd have him get on well enough with the other members, too, just Bruce is the sticking point. I also liked the idea that he took over several criminal endeavors, realising it is inevitable, but has strict rules (e.g. no drugs to kids). This set him up as a different kind of vigilante rather than just an ex-Robin who kills.

I loved his original return arc but feel he's now almost interchangeable with the other Robins.
    Jason killing feels like him throwing a tantrum for Bruce's attention if he doesn't get to kill the Joker.

I don't think jason should kill if he isn't allowed to kill the man who killed him.

It takes a lot of Jason's agency as the Gunbat away

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I prefer him as a villain. If that's not possible then a hero. no inbetween.
    Writers have never really managed to write him well as inbetween.

An anti hero with the bat brand? That's problematic
    Thanks for the insight. And here I thought Jason's bat-symbol was his way of mocking the Bat-Family:
    https://sohotthateveryonedied.tumblr...bol-to-his-red

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What is he gonna do as a villain? Attacking the Batfam for things DC won't change making him a very annoying whiny villain or targeting other villains DC don't allow to kill and so the only ones he can kill are the irrelevant ones, making him not that threatening?

Just shoot the kneecaps, it's more sustainable
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-09-2021 at 04:23 AM.

I voted somewhere in between, because I like him best as a narrative foil to Batman and a counterpoint to his no-kill philosophy. But in that case he needs to be not officially part of the Batfamily. They can certainly work together as allies from time to time, even have touching bittersweet family-esque moments, but if he's going to join the Batfamily and wear the bat on his chest, he has to be a straight-up hero (even if he's reluctant) and follow Bruce's One Rule. Bruce is willing to be allies (or even friends) with other vigilantes who kill, but I don't find it believable for him to allow them to be part of his innermost circle.

Astonishing Member

I think Jason's relationship with Batman and the Bat-family should be similar to Magneto's relationship with the X-men in most versions - they have the same broad objectives but go about it in fairly different ways. The Bat-family doesn't approve of Jason's methods, but worst case scenario, they're ready to work with him if necessary. Jason in turn is willing to play by their rules up to a point out of respect for them and also if it aligns with his goals. There's also a past relationship between Jason and Bruce (similar to Xavier and Magneto) which makes it difficult for Batman and the family to straight-up treat Jason like just another super-villain. Oh yeah, and there will be times when Jason will try to 'convert' the Bat-family to his way of thinking...

That said, I think Jason should always be at least an arms length away from Bruce's inner circle. He's the black sheep of the family who may show up once in a blue moon but isn't around on even a semi-regular basis.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

A hero and on completely good terms with the Batfamily. I'm sick and tired of 90% of Jason stories being about him angsting because daddy Bruce doesn't understand, Bruce being an ass and everyone else being a bunch of cardboard stands that can't take the initiative to mediate between them. That said, I don't want him to stick around on Gotham, either go back to the Outlaws setting of having him moving all around the world having adventures or let him settle down in a city of his own, but always available to lend a hand to the family if needed.

Somewhere in between, leaning antagonistic. There is no point to him as a hero, and the more they comprised to make it fit the more the characters themselves become compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks for the insight. And here I thought Jason's bat-symbol was his way of mocking the Bat-Family:
    https://sohotthateveryonedied.tumblr...bol-to-his-red

Its obviously a marketing decision, but this kind of rationalization always amuses me.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-09-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Hero/anti-hero/vigilante - don't care. It's unnecessary labeling.
    Batman, Harley Quinn, Batwoman, Signal, Bluebird, Nightwing, Robin, Spoiler, Red Hood, Batwing, Batgirl, Catwoman etc. - all the same for me.
    People who risk their life to save other people. (They all need therapy though.)
    Last edited by Sergard; 07-09-2021 at 01:23 PM.