Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default How would Krakoa react to a "mutant cure"?

Let's say two "mutant cures" were developed. One permanently suppresses the effects of x-gene but doesn't erase it and the other completely erases it and the mutant becomes a base human in the process. All the countries around the world signed a treaty which says the cures shall never be weaponized in any way and the countries will actively hunt down anyone who illegally uses them for their own ends. The cures can only be administered at hospitals with patients approval. How would quiet council and mutants in general react to such a development? Or what would you think of each cure? Is it an erasure of identity or not?

The same way i assume i would feel if someone came up to me and was like "omg guess what, you don't have to be black anymore." a myriad of emotions primarily surrounding sounds like "WTF. are you serious? get the f away from me." and i would probably have one of the more reserved reactions.

And i use my blackness as an example because the media and people try to weaponize that against us telling us were dangerous or were lazy or insert this this or that. So for me to ever even entertain the idea of some sort of cure there would have to be perfect harmony. It would have to be a world where no humans or mutants take each other life and live in 1000% percent harmony because thats the only way a character can believably have a conversation on whether they want to be mutant or not. No one should change out of fear or what not. So this question can only exist imo in a perfect world of peace.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-09-2021 at 04:52 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I'm sorry if my question came out as rude/ignorant. I shouldn't have used the word cure as it implies there is something broken that needs to be fixed. I mean it as a totally free choice that is completely left to the person without any outside influence though you are right. The question has negative implications no matter how you look at it considering both real life and MU history.

Perfect example just popped in my mind. Putin has a news conference when he mentioned peaceful black lives protest he said they were rioting and a danger but when he mentioned people climbing the capital on jan 6 he said they were struggling to reclaim their rights.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I'm sorry if my question came out as rude/ignorant. I shouldn't have used the word cure as it implies there is something broken that needs to be fixed. I mean it as a totally free choice that is completely left to the person without any outside influence though you are right. The question has negative implications no matter how you look at it considering both real life and MU history.
    I'm not offended or anything i just try to put myself in the mindset of an honest answer when i see these questions. I don't assume you had any ill intentions.

It will never be a case of someone totally taking it on their own completely freely if there is still hate or another reason to do it other than simply like cosmetic surgery i want to be different than what i am.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

I believe I don't get to judge how others feel (I do that, because I'm human and flawed, but I try not to).

I've seen people who have schizophrenia saying they wouldn't want to be "cured" because they like the way they see the world. Same for people with austism.

They see that as part of their identity and I genuinely admire them more than words can express, because I could certainly learn to accept myself better.

But I don't think I get to judge people who have schizophrenia or austism and hate it. I don't think I get to tell them that they should learn to love it because it's who they are.

I think I get to tell the world to stop being a jerk about it because no one is perfect and there's beauty in our differences. But regardless of the hell of prejudice society imposes on them, they might still not like living with their conditions. Who am I to tell them that they are wrong or to judge them if they decided to be "cured"?

I think the same idea could be applied to being a mutant.

Spectacular Member

I think they'd react with hostility. A cure can be weaponized against them. I think they did address this when Reed Richards made a device that did something to his son's genes, and Xavier erased the plans from his mind and made him not able to remember it anymore.

Forge also made a gun that nullfiied powers and he considered it the worst weapon he ever made.

Suffice to say, it may benefit some who have downsides to their powers such as Orphan Maker (implied but not exactly explained) - the new girl from New Mutants who's name escapes me, Mercury (doesn't have senses and can't be intimate) etc...

I guess it really depends on ones definition of judgement. For instance i personally don't agree with abortion but i still wouldn't exercise my constitutional right to protest, by standing in front of a clinic and violating someones personal choice of what they do with their own body which i feel would be judging them.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I definitely think Krakoans would be hostile to them because even though there's a treaty promising to not weaponize them, governments change hands regularly and they could easily end up with leader as delightful as this woman from Rosecanny. Her opponent said the vaccine is wrong.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I guess it really depends on ones definition of judgement. For instance i personally don't agree with abortion but i still wouldn't exercise my constitutional right to protest, by standing in front of a clinic and violating someones personal choice of what they do with their own body which i feel would be judging them.
    Just to a expound a bit the logical conclusion to me is that if your entire moniker is pro life then why dont you show up for every death with the same energy. Thereby somebody full of it.

That to me is making a judgement.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Framing mutantkind strictly through a minority lens is reductive - a cure doesn't equate to erasure of that status. If my mutant power was a radiation field around me, causing cancer in my loved ones, curing that (in the absence of the possibility of gaining control of my power) wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

You need to understand how the story between humans and mutants works or rather how humanity works.

You think of humanity and mutants as one thing, a single organism when you actually split into groups with goals and wills of their own. Humans come together in society to facilitate survival and create rules to ensure society works.

But what happens when someone challenges those rules, decides to control the rules and seize power or a rival society emerges that has goals that conflict with theirs?

At first there will be an attempt to bring order and find a balance to resolve these problems but if it fails the conflict becomes inevitable.

A cure for mutants will always be a threat to mutants and will always be used as a weapon. Even if countries decide not to use it as a weapon, it doesn't mean that others won't. As in the past, rebel groups and secret groups within governments have created and used technology to create weapons against mutants with permission from world leaders.
    Orchis itself has ties to governments and is partly financed by them though they will never admit it. It is no different from the real world where countries that even establish peace agreements continue to develop technology and weapons to overcome their adversaries.

Krakoa would likely withdraw drugs and medicines from countries that accept the cure and would clandestinely use agents like X-Force and its own scientists to ensure that the cure was destroyed.

Peace only exists as long as there is something that can keep it and in the case of world superpowers the only thing that prevents world wars is the threat of mutual destruction through nuclear weapons but that does not mean that these countries no longer compete, they just use other means in the case economic, technological power and espionage to protect their interests and sovereignty.

Krakoa uses the drugs and the newfound metal to secure temporary peace but once these gifts are no longer attractive to humanity, you can be sure that if a new deal is not found, conflict will be inevitable. Although I will never understand how a nation with Omega Mutants can be defeated by humans after all they are worse than nuclear weapons if we look at them are a safer guarantee of peace than medicine and metal.
    Last edited by Knives; 07-09-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I believe I don't get to judge how others feel (I do that, because I'm human and flawed, but I try not to).

I've seen people who have schizophrenia saying they wouldn't want to be "cured" because they like the way they see the world. Same for people with austism.

They see that as part of their identity and I genuinely admire them more than words can express, because I could certainly learn to accept myself better.

But I don't think I get to judge people who have schizophrenia or austism and hate it. I don't think I get to tell them that they should learn to love it because it's who they are.

I think I get to tell the world to stop being a jerk about it because no one is perfect and there's beauty in our differences. But regardless of the hell of prejudice society imposes on them, they might still not like living with their conditions. Who am I to tell them that they are wrong or to judge them if they decided to be "cured"?

I think the same idea could be applied to being a mutant.
    This is a better articulation of what I was trying to say with a poor example.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    You need to understand how the story between humans and mutants works or rather how humanity works.

You think of humanity and mutants as one thing, a single organism when you actually split into groups with goals and wills of their own. Humans come together in society to facilitate survival and create rules to ensure society works.

But what happens when someone challenges those rules, decides to control the rules and seize power or a rival society emerges that has goals that conflict with theirs?

At first there will be an attempt to bring order and find a balance to resolve these problems but if it fails the conflict becomes inevitable.

A cure for mutants will always be a threat to mutants and will always be used as a weapon. Even if countries decide not to use it as a weapon, it doesn't mean that others won't. As in the past, rebel groups and secret groups within governments have created and used technology to create weapons against mutants with permission from world leaders.
    Orchis itself has ties to governments and is partly financed by them though they will never admit it. It is no different from the real world where countries that even establish peace agreements continue to develop technology and weapons to overcome their adversaries.

Krakoa would likely withdraw drugs and medicines from countries that accept the cure and would clandestinely use agents like X-Force and its own scientists to ensure that the cure was destroyed.

Peace only exists as long as there is something that can keep it and in the case of world superpowers the only thing that prevents world wars is the threat of mutual destruction through nuclear weapons but that does not mean that these countries no longer compete, they just use other means in the case economic, technological power and espionage to protect their interests and sovereignty.

Krakoa uses the drugs and the newfound metal to secure temporary peace but once these gifts are no longer attractive to humanity, you can be sure that if a new deal is not found, conflict will be inevitable. Although I will never understand how a nation with Omega Mutants can be defeated by humans after all they are worse than nuclear weapons if we look at them are a safer guarantee of peace than medicine and metal.
    Great points. It also opens the question would mutants have a right to take this as offensive if we are looking at all sides and in their fear of potential erasure created a cure for humanity and started offering it. Or went to war over what they feel is a act of war or potential violence.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

It would be considered an attack on mutants, likely an attempt at genocide/eugenics, and responded to as such.

Trying to frame it as voluntary with strict enforcement wouldn't change the reality of how it would be used. In terms of nations, it would be seen as a potential weapon on par with biological and chemical warfare. On a personal level, it wouldn't stop parents from forcing their kids to take it ("conversion therapy") or certain countries/territories forcing it (think religious extremism). And if I understand correctly, the resurrection process requires Krakoa knowing someone is a mutant to start making backups. Doesn't help them if Krakoa doesn't have a backup ready for them if they're depowered.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)