Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Great points. It also opens the question would mutants have a right to take this as offensive if we are looking at all sides and in their fear of potential erasure created a cure for humanity and started offering it. Or went to war over what they feel is a act of war or potential violence.
    At the moment Krakoa tries to avoid an open war at any cost because the mutant species according to Moira is not yet prepared for an all-out war against humanity.

To guarantee their sovereignty against threats their leaders prefer to use economic power and when that fails then use clandestine operations like X-Force or Mystique.

I believe most mutants today would view the cure offensively to the mutant species. But some mutants have powers they consider curses and would do whatever it takes to get rid of them and and have a normal life. For this minority the cure is a hope but in the grand scheme of things their personal will does not matter compared to the weight of survival for the leaders of Krakoa.

Even if some want to be normal and abandon their mutated heritage there is no possibility for Krakoa's leaders to accept a cure as it poses a high level threat to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    At the moment Krakoa tries to avoid an open war at any cost because the mutant species according to Moira is not yet prepared for an all-out war against humanity.

To guarantee their sovereignty against threats their leaders prefer to use economic power and when that fails then use clandestine operations like X-Force or Mystique.

I believe most mutants today would view the cure offensively to the mutant species. But some mutants have powers they consider curses and would do whatever it takes to get rid of them and and have a normal life. For this minority the cure is a hope but in the grand scheme of things their personal will does not matter compared to the weight of survival for the leaders of Krakoa.

Even if some want to be normal and abandon their mutated heritage there is no possibility for Krakoa's leaders to accept a cure as it poses a high level threat to them.
    Makes sense. If it were me and there were two cures i would have forge create something that awakens latency in humaniry and give them all an xgene and then let the people choose if they want to be mutants or want to take a cure. Or rather which cure they want to take. Checks and balances.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

To the OP: Your question is not new, it's essentially what we have been reading in the X-Men for decades. Since the 80's there has been technology created to eradicate the "threat" that mutants pose to humans. First it was the Nullifier that Forge invented that robs mutants of their powers. Then as science and technology improved we saw viruses and other tech come into play that would remove or unable the X gene from expressing itself. And each time these technologies were created under the pretense of saving lives or offering help to those who needed it. And in each case they were then weaponized against mutants to eradicate them. It's an age old cycle. So to your question, what would Krakoa do? I think we would see what others have suggested: Immediate withdrawal of medicines and other Krakoan goods to countries offering said cure. The nation would have to be prepared to both battle creatures wishing to do the planet harm, while also battling humans and other Earthers trying to do mutants harm. We would again see "friends" of the X-Men do nothing or claim their hands were tied yet condemn mutants for acting in defense or removing threats as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    You need to understand how the story between humans and mutants works or rather how humanity works.

You think of humanity and mutants as one thing, a single organism when you actually split into groups with goals and wills of their own. Humans come together in society to facilitate survival and create rules to ensure society works.

But what happens when someone challenges those rules, decides to control the rules and seize power or a rival society emerges that has goals that conflict with theirs?

At first there will be an attempt to bring order and find a balance to resolve these problems but if it fails the conflict becomes inevitable.

A cure for mutants will always be a threat to mutants and will always be used as a weapon. Even if countries decide not to use it as a weapon, it doesn't mean that others won't. As in the past, rebel groups and secret groups within governments have created and used technology to create weapons against mutants with permission from world leaders.
    Orchis itself has ties to governments and is partly financed by them though they will never admit it. It is no different from the real world where countries that even establish peace agreements continue to develop technology and weapons to overcome their adversaries.

Krakoa would likely withdraw drugs and medicines from countries that accept the cure and would clandestinely use agents like X-Force and its own scientists to ensure that the cure was destroyed.

Peace only exists as long as there is something that can keep it and in the case of world superpowers the only thing that prevents world wars is the threat of mutual destruction through nuclear weapons but that does not mean that these countries no longer compete, they just use other means in the case economic, technological power and espionage to protect their interests and sovereignty.

Krakoa uses the drugs and the newfound metal to secure temporary peace but once these gifts are no longer attractive to humanity, you can be sure that if a new deal is not found, conflict will be inevitable. Although I will never understand how a nation with Omega Mutants can be defeated by humans after all they are worse than nuclear weapons if we look at them are a safer guarantee of peace than medicine and metal.
    All of this. Humans use technology initially for the betterment, but as soon as it is released to the public it goes awry. Humans weaponize everything in competition to be the best.

I wonder if they would allow all the mutants who want the cure to take it.
    If Mercury or Wither take the cure, maybe they will just be kicked out of the island, after a lecture from the likes of Wolverine of Storm about how they should accept themselves as they are.
    But in the case of a "usefull" mutant, the question is: how far will the Krakoan go to prevent it?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

They would be outraged and upset at it but on the other hand, they dont have the right to dictate what anyone does with their body. Im black and dont like the concept of people bleaching their skin but thats a personal choice that has nothing to do with me.

Astonishing Member

Perfect example just popped in my mind. Putin has a news conference when he mentioned peaceful black lives protest he said they were rioting and a danger but when he mentioned people climbing the capital on jan 6 he said they were struggling to reclaim their rights.
    He didn't say ALL BLM supporters were rioting and a danger, he said some elements or supporters of the movement took it to extreme and dangerous levels for the rest of civil society and he did not want extremist elements under the pretext of social movements or protests spilling over to Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    He didn't say ALL BLM supporters were rioting and a danger, he said some elements or supporters of the movement took it to extreme and dangerous levels for the rest of civil society and he did not want extremist elements under the pretext of social movements or protests spilling over to Russia.
    Thats your interpretation or perhaps he misspoke either way a quick google search for anyone not in a country that bars free press and access to it, can give it a watch.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

Thats your interpretation or perhaps he misspoke either way a quick google search for anyone not in a country that bars free press and access to it, can give it a watch.
    I watched the speech

I watched the speech
    Me too and he did equate the blm movement to riots and the jan 6 insurgency to reclaiming rights. Thats a fact.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Let's say two "mutant cures" were developed. One permanently suppresses the effects of x-gene but doesn't erase it and the other completely erases it and the mutant becomes a base human in the process. All the countries around the world signed a treaty which says the cures shall never be weaponized in any way and the countries will actively hunt down anyone who illegally uses them for their own ends. The cures can only be administered at hospitals with patients approval. How would quiet council and mutants in general react to such a development? Or what would you think of each cure? Is it an erasure of identity or not?
    Have you ever read the original Genosha Story Arc?

Astonishing Member

Me too and he did equate the blm movement to riots and the jan 6 insurgency to reclaiming rights. Thats a fact.
    There is commonality because both sets of groups engaged in protest or carry a grievance but context is also key.On the latter case he was responding to a question about crackdowns on protests in his own country and he was simply pointing out some of those participating in Jan 6th Capitol march are in jail in the US.Without case by case analysis broadly speaking people went there expressing a civic right in which case it was questioning the legitimacy of the election. Now you can agree or disagree whether their concerns are founded in reality , but airing those concerns is not forbidden and just as with the BLM scenarios one cannot claim all the people in the march were involved in vandalism or more.So he wasn't wrong

There is commonality because both sets of groups engaged in protest or carry a grievance but context is also key.On the latter case he was responding to a question about crackdowns on protests in his own country and he was simply pointing out some of those participating in Jan 6th Capitol march are in jail in the US.Without case by case analysis broadly speaking people went there expressing a civic right in which case it was questioning the legitimacy of the election. Now you can agree or disagree whether their concerns are founded in reality , but airing those concerns is not forbidden and just as with the BLM scenarios one cannot claim all the people in the march were involved in vandalism or more.So he wasn't wrong
    Glad you said context. The context is out of the blm movements police response to even peaceful protests were met with weapons and armies of police where as the capital rioters who climbed a government building in the search of over throwing a legitimate governmen were met with kid gloves and very little police, so seeing someone who is actively killing his opposition talk about rights is funny to me but i'm done. I'll let you keep explaining putin.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

Glad you said context. The context is out of the blm movements police response to even peaceful protests were met with weapons and armies of police where as the capital rioters who climbed a government building in the search of over throwing a legitimate governmen were met with kid gloves and very little police, so seeing someone who is actively killing his opposition talk about rights is funny to me but i'm done. I'll let you keep explaining putin.
    I won't pretend to know what he knows, as a president and former intelligence officer he knows more than I do.Revolutions or opposition organised and funded by a government hostile to his isn't an impossibility. He knows the dance.

Astonishing Member

As to the question that depends on whether you mean the QC or individual mutants

It would depend on whether a mutant who wants this cure for whatever reason is free to make an independent choice or has to defer to Krakoan leadership to OK it

It's strange because the closest analogy though imperfect is the human abortion debate.If humanity's population was just one million worldwide , as a society I doubt abortions (unless a health risk) would be encouraged by society as a whole. However on the flip side mutants are immortal , so continuity of the species is not threatened by a few mutants wanting to cure their mutations especially if those wanted to live among humans and realised their mutations were deadly to humans.

It seems that being a human or mutant is something fluid. You can gain powers, or lose powers and gain them back. You have mutants who became human, through no choice of their own, but now have the choice to become mutants once again via a weird cultish ritual. Why is transitioning in one direction, ok, but not in the other?. Why the double standard?.

People whose identity, and ethnostate are tied to something this fluid, are going to be very hostile to the idea that you can transition from mutant to human, and they would take measures to make sure things transition in only one direction, by taking the choice away from those who wanted it.

The same way i assume i would feel if someone came up to me and was like "omg guess what, you don't have to be black anymore." a myriad of emotions primarily surrounding sounds like "WTF. are you serious? get the f away from me." and i would probably have one of the more reserved reactions.

And i use my blackness as an example because the media and people try to weaponize that against us telling us were dangerous or were lazy or insert this this or that. So for me to ever even entertain the idea of some sort of cure there would have to be perfect harmony. It would have to be a world where no humans or mutants take each other life and live in 1000% percent harmony because thats the only way a character can believably have a conversation on whether they want to be mutant or not. No one should change out of fear or what not. So this question can only exist imo in a perfect world of peace.
    Perfection should not be the enemy of freedom of choice.

Makes sense. If it were me and there were two cures i would have forge create something that awakens latency in humaniry and give them all an xgene and then let the people choose if they want to be mutants or want to take a cure. Or rather which cure they want to take. Checks and balances.
    That does not seem like checks and balances. It seems like someone wants to play god, and do whatever they want without peoples consent.

How about, you ask for peoples consent, before you go and mess around with their genetic makeup, or would that be too much to ask?.